Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Neoprene caps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Neoprene caps Reply with quote

I've bought one of these for IM Wales, I wasn't cold two years ago but conditions temp wise were good. We could end up with anything this year.

Never used one before and didn't fancy a chin strap type. It turned up yesterday and fits ok but real tight like my wettie is. It seems tighter with a swim cap and goggles on (dry) but I'm keen to know if anyone else uses one before I get it wet. Seems I'm right on the cusp of small or medium and I went for medium.

Should it really tight?

https://www.simplyswim.com/products/Zone3/NeopreneStraplessSwimCap/275197.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAjw5uTMBRAYEiwA5HxQNt_x4hnCGtFvKSTnvCVh7oWrjQUgFOExojw6tO1TeubDyHs8VIm8XxoCfXsQAvD_BwE
ed_m

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one from decathlon for brutal swim & brutal double.... gotta be tight enough not to keep slipping off was the problem I found.
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m wrote:
I used one from decathlon for brutal swim & brutal double.... gotta be tight enough not to keep slipping off was the problem I found.

Thanks. Yeah I have a feeling mine isn't going to be tight enough.
ed_m

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these infact....
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triathlon-cap-neoprene-black-id_8335920.html

I'd have to actually do some swimming to remember how tight it was or not.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sea off Cornwall wasn't that bad at all last week (17.5 deg) so I think you should be fine temperature wise; unless a stray iceberg finds it's way to the welsh coast in the coming weeks.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you really feel the cold, as jorgan says, i think you'll be fine. I've been mucking about in the sea all week in Devon and Cornwall for up to an hour with no wetsuit (though i was bl00dy cold at the end!! haha) - but that wasn't exercising, just playing with the little uns..
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a roka one that I use when the water is cold. It isn't particularly tight but is fine with a swim cap and goggles on.
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Unless you really feel the cold, as jorgan says, i think you'll be fine. I've been mucking about in the sea all week in Devon and Cornwall for up to an hour with no wetsuit (though i was bl00dy cold at the end!! haha) - but that wasn't exercising, just playing with the little uns..

Funnily enough, I have a higher tolerance for cold than most ( less since I broke my back but still high). I was basing it on the fact that at IMW in 2015 I was surprised at the difference in temp between then and LCW which was 7 wks previous. I wasn't cold at IMW and had a sleeveless wettie on but when I was in medical after lap 1 of swim with a spinal injury, I was quite surprised at the amount of people bailing out or being pulled out due to cold.

Anyway, I bought one, tried it a Weymouth last week and took it off after 20mins as I was too warm. I did stay on though Cool

It will go in the 'just in case bag' and I will decide on the Friday at swim practice.

I've done some 4-5hr surf sessions in Vic in winter, they don't tickle!
Andy916

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2xu one with a strap and it's fine with a bit of glide (one piece design, whereas a previous one had a buckled strap which was awful). Invaluable for 13C lakes, as Ullswater might be on Sunday, but you'll be fine without in the sea right now.

A smooth chinstrap is no more likely to rub than the back of your suit, or the back of an ordinary swim cap. I used to suffer from rubs from all of those but now keep a straighter bodyline, rolling on the one axis - this makes a big difference.
SF

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Neoprene caps Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:

Should it [be] really tight?

No. Have tried both, should be comfortable. Used to wear my BlueSeventy so tight that it made it difficult to open my mouth. Have an almost loose Orca one and it's bang on. Swim cap over it will keep it on as long as the strap sits flush with your jaw.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Neoprene caps Reply with quote

SF wrote:
FatPom wrote:

No. Have tried both, should be comfortable. Used to wear my BlueSeventy so tight that it made it difficult to open my mouth. Have an almost loose Orca one and it's bang on. Swim cap over it will keep it on as long as the strap sits flush with your jaw.

Thanks. I made an error in my original post, I meant to write that it's 'not real tight' but anyway, it seemed fine at Weymouth last week, which was pretty choppy.

Now, if I could get a pair of non fogging goggles Wink I've had Preadtor Flexs for a while and they were fogging up but I put it down to age/wear. Bought a new polarized pair to replace them and they seemed to fog up even quicker. I'll go with them as I don't want to change so close to a race. Any anti fogging tips/products Confused
SF

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Neoprene caps Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
SF wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Thanks. I made an error in my original post, I meant to write that it's 'not real tight' but anyway, it seemed fine at Weymouth last week, which was pretty choppy.

Now, if I could get a pair of non fogging goggles Wink I've had Preadtor Flexs for a while and they were fogging up but I put it down to age/wear. Bought a new polarized pair to replace them and they seemed to fog up even quicker. I'll go with them as I don't want to change so close to a race. Any anti fogging tips/products Confused

I've always worn speedo speedsockets. They're generally amazing until the anti fog wears off then licking them works just fine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: