Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Golden Cheetah not communicating with Trainer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Golden Cheetah not communicating with Trainer Reply with quote

I used my Bkool trainer all last winter with both the Bkool software and Golden Cheetah which I was really happy with.

Having recently broken my thumb, winter has come early this year so I set everything back up this week.

The trainer communicates with Bkool fine but GC will no longer pick it up. I know the trainer is transmitting because Bkool picks it up and I know GC is receiving because it picks up my HR strap and speed/cadence sensor.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling GC, different ports for the Ant+ dongle but no joy.

Any ideas?
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never managed to get to the bottom of the GC communication issue but came across a different solution recently.
Velo Reality has a basic control function built into the free part if their software. You can build workouts by power and time, then it will control the trainer for the session.
It produces a tcx file to upload at the end too.
Used it for first time tonight and it worked perfectly. Just updating my post in case this is useful to anyone else.
Tigger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea if this is relevant but:

Quote:
From your description, I think you're missing the FE-C channel!

In that same pairing dialog, click on one of the unused fields on the
left, and select FE-C. That should then also pair with your Kickr..

For what it's worth, you can also remove the found Speed and Power
channels (just set them to 'Unused'), as that data should also come
through the FE-C channel.

I think perhaps the FE-C device type ought to be a bit more prominent in
that dialog.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tigger, I came across that too but it didn't work.

I have no idea what happened. Everything was working fine when I packed it away in spring and to the best of my knowledge nothing has changed but GC just won't find the trainer now.

Other than having access to the ErgDB database, which is huge, I actually prefer the Velo Reality software. It's less complicated (less functions too but everything I want) transitions between power levels really smoothly and you can build ramps into the sessions which I haven't tried yet but could be an interesting twist. (I may have just missed that on GC)

I've built the 3 most common sessions I did on GC, 2x20mins, 4x8mins and 4x(5x1min) intervals and I pretty much rotate through those then use Bkool for longer rides where the terrain sets the resistance.

I don't pay any subscriptions and it does everything I want. It would be nice to have the videos on Bkool sometimes but when I did have them I found I didn't actually look at them all that much so was no great loss.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: