Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
What Ironman

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: What Ironman Reply with quote

After two solid seasons I want to do an Ironman next year. I'll probably only ever do one so I want to pick a good one and make a really good stab at it.

My initial plan was IM Vichy. I thought we could combine with a family holiday but that just added a load of complexity and it didn't seem that good a place for my age kids. The course suits me well and plays to my strengths (flattish bike, flat run, poss non-wetsuit swim). I know it can get hot but I sweat like a Yak anyway so will be fine

I then thought IM Wales, not the best course for me (I'm 6'5'' and weight 94kg) but I thought if you are going to suffer then go big. I don't like sea swimming though, despite being a good swimmer.

The Bastion looks good, 100 cheaper than IM branded but its much earlier in the summer. I would prefer something later so I can make the most of the long days and get up early to get the big bikes in.

Is an Mdot event worth the extra money? Any other recommendations. Would prefer a UK one, although somewhere France/Spain/Germany would be ok.

Any suggestions?
hammerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its only one then Wales. Bastion is fantastic though but as you are similar size to me it really is a tough course. bike is relentless. run is mainly trail and "undulating" also
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, unless you go via Nirvana, most of the best Euro ones are now sold-out for 2018. I would always recommend Austria as the perfect combination of course, logistics and family-friendliness. Not sure if Nirvana have any slots.

Lanzarote is another iconic event that will suit the family; tough course though. Regensburg is a beautiful city, and now it's Challenge, they have made the bike course much flatter/easier than the Ironman event.
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider Outlaw if you want UK.

Its a very beginner friendly event.

I agree Wales is probably best for a one off, once in a lifetime event but if you can't get your head round the tough course and sea swim its a no good.

Outlaw is a super easy swim, the bike is as flat as you are likely to get in the UK and the run is pancake flat. It also has a good big event feel with large crowds and superb event base.

Really good if you can ignore the no MDot.

IMO being M-Dot is not worth the money. But a lot of M-Dot races are worth the extra for the event itself. Like wales I don't give a #@?# its M-dot but its a fantastic iconic race that is worth every penny.

Bolton Is M-Dot and I am not the least bit interested.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
IMO being M-Dot is not worth the money. But a lot of M-Dot races are worth the extra for the event itself. Like wales I don't give a #@?# its M-dot but its a fantastic iconic race that is worth every penny.

Bolton Is M-Dot and I am not the least bit interested.

Take the Ironman branding away, and they would be very different events; especially Bolton - which would die almost overnight I'd wager. Tenby has done enough to establish itself as a standalone event, but we all know the power of the brand and have all seen races shrink or die without it.
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanzarote is a consideration. I went on a tri camp last year in March and am going next year also. The swim is ok for a sea swim there, nice and warm and not so salty it burns your throat.

Also although its hilly there are no really steep hills. Long climbs like tabeysco I can take some way below FTP. When climbs go over 12% I struggle to keep power under control.

Only prob with Lanza is its so early in the season and that will make long rides hard. I wonder though, could I get up at 4:30Am, ride the trainer for 2 hours and then go out when its light and finish off? I guess my longest rides will come March/April when the whether is improving and end of March I'll be in Lanza at the camp for a week.

Quite tempted.
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan - you're an instigator man! I want do Lanza now.

Kids breakup on 25th May though so guess will have to take them out of school for a couple of days. Monarch have flights leaving the Wednesday.

I know the course is tough as hell but I like that. My first and only IM I am not going to be setting a blistering time and I like having something that feels like it has added complexity.

I guess best place to stay is Pueto del Carmen, although that looks to be the most expensive place. Some nice holiday homes in Tias (which is near where the camp is) which is not too far away
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on the current IM Lanza thread as there could be big changes afoot!

But even so Regardless, Lanza is a superb event. No event I have done gives you quite the feeling of "I've beaten it!" You are not just completing a course you are doing battle with it.

But then I've not done wales yet (t-minus 10 days)

Definitely stay in PDC There are some pretty cheap options we got a nice villa for the week 5mins from start/finish and was perfect. Good cheap holiday on top of a fantastic race. Just fingers crossed the don't ruin the bike route!
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Keep an eye on the current IM Lanza thread as there could be big changes afoot!

But even so Regardless, Lanza is a superb event. No event I have done gives you quite the feeling of "I've beaten it!" You are not just completing a course you are doing battle with it.

But then I've not done wales yet (t-minus 10 days)

Definitely stay in PDC There are some pretty cheap options we got a nice villa for the week 5mins from start/finish and was perfect. Good cheap holiday on top of a fantastic race. Just fingers crossed the don't ruin the bike route!

Hmm, the possible changes are a bit off putting. Don't want to arrange all that and pay big money for them to release a new bike route that completely sucks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: