Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Open Water Swim (Craggy Island Triathlon)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrsubby

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Open Water Swim (Craggy Island Triathlon) Reply with quote

Good afternoon all,

I've just joined and I'm looking for some advice.

In a couple of weeks I'll be taking part in the Craggy Island Triathlon, this will be only my second event. It involves and open water swim (only 550m) from Oban to the Isle of Kerrara, for which a wetsuit is mandatory.

The swim portion of my previous triathlon was in a pool, and I suspect future triathlons will be the same. I do have a wetsuit, but it was for Scuba diving and is 5mm thick. As it's not really designed for swimming I imagine it's fairly restrictive for swimming strokes (I've not tried on other wetsuits for a comparison). However, it would do... I'm not worried about being first, I'm just happy to complete them.

So to my question... is this suitable for this triathlon?

My worry is that a less restrictive wetsuit would be thinner and I do feel the cold badly. But at the same time I don't want to spend 100+ for one event.

Thanks,

B
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triathlon or OW wetsuits are 3-5mm thick generally. An overall 5 mm wetsuit isn't too think. However, if its designed for scuba and not swimming then you may find it is too restrictive in the shoulders.

You will probably be thankfull for the 5mm thickness swimming that as I suspect it will be chuffing freezing. As you have a couple of weeks do you have somewhere nearby for OW swimming you can go and test the suit?

Otherwise put it on at home and try and mimic the stroke movement and see how it feels. Use a band to ass some resistance. Its not an overly long swim distance but I imagine the course conditions could be tricky so you don't want to be struggling more than normal.

Look on Ebay for a 2nd hand suit. I paid 50 for my first suit from Ebay and it lasted me years.
Chrace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think you would be fine, no? All relative of course, but it's not a massive distance.

Jump in a local loch and see if you can swim in it?
mrsubby

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@iwaters and @Chrace

Thanks for the replies, you have put my mind at ease. I think even with 5mm it'll be cold cold cold. To be honest I think I just didn't want to look like a chump, but considering my other gear I don't know why I am bothered (e.g. my bike is a 10 year old hybrid that I use for commuting everyday and weighs about 1 tonne).

I stay in the Edinburgh area so I was thinking of trying a wee swim in the Forth, or even just saying at my local pool and trying it out there - for restrictiveness obviously I'll be roasting. It's a piddly 12.5m hotel pool (yeah I spend most of my time doing turns) with no one in it I'm sure they won't mind me looking a bit weird.

Thank you again
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acclimatization has a lot to do with whether you get cold on the day or not.

Go jump in a lake. It'll be freezing. Do it again the day after and it'll feel a bit better. 3rd day it'll be ok, and from then on you'll think it's actually alright.

I also wear extra layers under the suit, e.g. a rash vest (and even on top of a trisuit last weekend).
mrsubby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried my wetsuit in the local pool last night, it was fine.

Next step is to take @Chrace's adivce and have a few cold shocks Smile
Bokkeuk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget your head - and heat loss there - two caps will help prevent ice cream head - or you could get one of those neoprene caps...
caesar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swim for a few minutes before your race start if you can, deal with the shock then rather than when the gun goes! Will you be starting in the water or on the beach?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: