Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Qualification for Ironman events
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hammerer




Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 16247
Location: Right Next Door To Hell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Qualification for Ironman events Reply with quote

IM Philippines has added a stipulation that you must have finished a 70.3 or 140.6 race since Jan 2016 to be allowed to race the event next year.

With the influx of one and dones, and the odd death in recent years I think this is a sensible idea. It appears it doesn't have to be a WTC event either, although who knows if it will change if rolled out world wide.
_________________
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14329
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Qualification for Ironman events Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
IM Philippines has added a stipulation that you must have finished a 70.3 or 140.6 race since Jan 2016 to be allowed to race the event next year.

With the influx of one and dones, and the odd death in recent years I think this is a sensible idea. It appears it doesn't have to be a WTC event either, although who knows if it will change if rolled out world wide.


its a good way to reduce your market with so many one and dones...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 16090
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they stipulated WTC events, I think they'd just put a lot of people off, as if you couldn't get into a local 70.3 event, you'd have to travel just to get a tick in the box. I think 'One & dones' might make the effort in their quest for an Ironman medal, but I wouldn't.

WTC need to carefully balance supply & demand with this sort of thing. I've not done a WTC Ironman since Jul '15, and have no immediate plans to do another. If I had to 'validate' at a 70.3, that's just another factor pushing me away from WTC events, and into the arms of Challenge or Independent races.
_________________
25 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SloggingScotsman




Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 2455

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I have only entered IMUK once and got halfway before an overzealous medic put me in an ambulance.

Now will I enter an IM again? Possibly, for as has been sensibly said here I might be barred from running but who (normal folk) runs the marathon.

Would I do a 1/2 first? Probably not, especially knowing that I can train myself to do the swim and at least part of the second loop of the bike. A 1/2 while obviously difficult, just doesn't strike me as a sufficient challenge.

Given how unfit and fat I have got again we are a decade away from the prospect in any case, but if I was at that stage, I would probably look for an alternative long distance race.
_________________
Vote Stewart for Secretary General of the UN Smile
Good Judgement Project Brier Score 0.142 (median 0.367) https://www.gjopen.com/
Read: Our Place in the Twenty First Century
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1240

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Qualification for Ironman events Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
It appears it doesn't have to be a WTC event either

That was not my reading. The wording specifically uses the IRONMAN or IRONMAN 70.3 branding, and does not say "you must have done a middle or full distance triathlon".

Quote:
Validation Requirement
Athlete safety is our utmost priority at Sunrise Events. We want to ensure everyone who participates in IRONMAN Philippines next year is fully prepared to undertake the challenge of an IRONMAN Triathlon event. As such, and in order to participate, you will have to complete or have completed an IRONMAN 70.3 or IRONMAN event within the time period of January 2016 to March 2018.

http://www.ironmanphilippines.com/validation/

This is a potentially significant handcuff for them as a business if they roll this out. I'd currently meet the criteria, but of about 5 middle distance races, only one has been branded. If/when I go long, were I not to meet this criteria it would just make up my mind to go Challenge. I'm not specifically racing a branded 70.3 just to allow me to race a branded full.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 16090
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many events do WTC run in the Phillipines? Bit of a schlepp if they are sold out Rolling Eyes
_________________
25 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hammerer




Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 16247
Location: Right Next Door To Hell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Qualification for Ironman events Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
hammerer wrote:
It appears it doesn't have to be a WTC event either

That was not my reading. The wording specifically uses the IRONMAN or IRONMAN 70.3 branding, and does not say "you must have done a middle or full distance triathlon".

Quote:
Validation Requirement
Athlete safety is our utmost priority at Sunrise Events. We want to ensure everyone who participates in IRONMAN Philippines next year is fully prepared to undertake the challenge of an IRONMAN Triathlon event. As such, and in order to participate, you will have to complete or have completed an IRONMAN 70.3 or IRONMAN event within the time period of January 2016 to March 2018.

http://www.ironmanphilippines.com/validation/

This is a potentially significant handcuff for them as a business if they roll this out. I'd currently meet the criteria, but of about 5 middle distance races, only one has been branded. If/when I go long, were I not to meet this criteria it would just make up my mind to go Challenge. I'm not specifically racing a branded 70.3 just to allow me to race a branded full.


That is what i originally thought but this email is now doing the rounds



I agree though if I couldn't race without doing another WTC event I wouldn't bother.


If you cant expand the picture :- "Hence, by requiring everyone to have demonstrated proof that they have completed a 70.3 or full distance Ironman (or its equivalent of another organisation) helps ensure that you are better prepared to take on this endeavour"
_________________
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1240

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen the full letter. That makes a big difference as most people, if not all, would plan for a middle distance race in the build up to a first full.

I guess if it were rolled out, it only really impacts those first timers who plan for their first middle distance 6-8 weeks before the full, as that wouldn't be early enough to be able to "validate".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whisk




Joined: 09 Jun 2005
Posts: 8416
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
How many events do WTC run in the Phillipines? Bit of a schlepp if they are sold out Rolling Eyes


What proportion of entrants for this event are locals? I'd have thought a large proportion would be foreign visitors.

Presumably this rule is aimed at western cut-off-surfers who train in temperate climates and then pitch up for a tropical race and struggle in the conditions Wink
_________________
2016: Just riding my bike....
Hot Chillee ride captain (sponsored by WattBike, Cervelo, Mavic, Lazer, Continental, Le Marq, Garmin, Sportique, Pro-Cycle Insurance, Maserati)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 16090
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
cut-off-surfers


That's a new one on me; I'll add it to 'One & Done'.

What else do we have?
_________________
25 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SloggingScotsman




Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 2455

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Whisk wrote:
cut-off-surfers


That's a new one on me; I'll add it to 'One & Done'.

What else do we have?
tri and fail.

Though I was at the end right next to the finish line blowing my whistle and banging the boards and in the arm arch to help the last finishers home.
_________________
Vote Stewart for Secretary General of the UN Smile
Good Judgement Project Brier Score 0.142 (median 0.367) https://www.gjopen.com/
Read: Our Place in the Twenty First Century
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Whisk




Joined: 09 Jun 2005
Posts: 8416
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Whisk wrote:
cut-off-surfers


That's a new one on me; I'll add it to 'One & Done'.



I remember standing in the sign-on queue at St George and over-hearing the people behind discussing how "God willing" they hoped that they'd beat the swim cut-off "this time" and be allowed to start the bike leg Shocked Rolling Eyes .

They clearly hadn't done any research before entering because they had no idea how hard the course was - very cold (14C) swim, hilly bike, very hot (35C) and very hilly (800m) run, all done at 1000+m above sea level Shocked
_________________
2016: Just riding my bike....
Hot Chillee ride captain (sponsored by WattBike, Cervelo, Mavic, Lazer, Continental, Le Marq, Garmin, Sportique, Pro-Cycle Insurance, Maserati)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 16090
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've ever been on the FB group 'the Ironman Journey' you'll also be aware that Lanza gets terrible riptides if you can't make the swim cut-off Rolling Eyes Laughing

Pretty sure rip tides are confined to specific near-to-beach locations. They tend not to affect people who prepared over the winter in their local pool, for some reason.
_________________
25 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14329
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SloggingScotsman wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Whisk wrote:
cut-off-surfers


That's a new one on me; I'll add it to 'One & Done'.

What else do we have?
tri and fail.

.


the new marathon...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
gingerbongo




Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1255
Location: Devon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Just seen the full letter. That makes a big difference as most people, if not all, would plan for a middle distance race in the build up to a first full.

I guess if it were rolled out, it only really impacts those first timers who plan for their first middle distance 6-8 weeks before the full, as that wouldn't be early enough to be able to "validate".


I think this would more likely affect people like me, who have been out of tri for a while and may well not have entered a race in a few years, despite having done an IM and other endurance events, due to the time limited 'validation period'.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.