Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Wales 2018 - 9th September
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
stenard wrote:
I'm not going to lie ... having said an IM was 100% not on the cards next year, this thread, and the 2019 one, are really making me get itchy feet.... Rolling Eyes

Having been to Wales I'm kind of wishing I hadn't booked Austria next year. LCW & Wales IM is a proper double act that trumps Austria which was also much better than Italy.

I notice my DVR had recorded LCW last night. Haven't watched it yet. But you are right, it's a great double act.
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
FatPom wrote:
I found my '6.30' bike stud. His actual time was 08:14:53.

And he DNFd Lanza Rolling Eyes

Probably on IMJ right now advertising as a coach

Its Carl Jennings isnt it Laughing
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd already run half his last lap with Phil Graves so LucyG was starting to toast me too much. Regretting I let her go before the finish tho, far too sensible! Very Happy My final two laps were comfy enough thankfully, fairly pleased with a 3h45 run split on this course after a 6h14 decent bike. 1h22 sw1m was good for me. 11h40 overall. But waay down the rankings, 41st AG and 245th overall Surprised so fair play the quality field (y)

FWIW I calculated around 2175 starters/sw1m finishers, and there were 2044 official finishers, for those looking at their rankings within each discipline.
SidSnot wrote:
FatPom wrote:
SidSnot wrote:
Doca wrote:
I finished in 10:35, 9th in AG. Guess it's close on the Kona slot (40_44), 9 slots were advertised but depends on finishers in all AG's, will have to wait for the awards to find out. Was 3 seconds behind 8th lol.

4 places behind you in 13th....10:52....goal was sub 11...so ticked that box and fastest IM Distance race in 6 attempts...

Really enjoyed the day, tough but with epic support that softens the blow

Nice work Sid.

Thanks. I think my aim of relaxing throughout the day, lapping up and engaging with the support helped; including singing along to "don't stop me know" up Saundersfoot. I had my best swim ever, felt strong and relaxed coming in in 51 for 7th fastest overall(including pro's). 5:47 bike compared to 5:42 at LCW, so about perfect.
Most importantly I avoided the usual meltdown on the run for a 4:02(which is a IM PB for me) again thinking relax and not fighting the hills.
All in all, really happy with how the day went....IM Wales really is a special event....for racers and spectators
+1 Nice work indeed Sid B|

MrME - glad to hear your race desire has returned. Smile Go back n smash it even further B|
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18

Last edited by Toyota_Crown on Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
I found my '6.30' bike stud. His actual time was 08:14:53.

And he DNFd Lanza Rolling Eyes

His Run time was 6:30 ish ...maybe he misheard you?

I can be endlessly sunny sometimes Laughing
Swansea Red

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Doca wrote:
stenard wrote:
I'm not going to lie ... having said an IM was 100% not on the cards next year, this thread, and the 2019 one, are really making me get itchy feet.... Rolling Eyes

Having been to Wales I'm kind of wishing I hadn't booked Austria next year. LCW & Wales IM is a proper double act that trumps Austria which was also much better than Italy.

I notice my DVR had recorded LCW last night. Haven't watched it yet. But you are right, it's a great double act.

This place is bad for your health, wallet and marriage! I hadn't even considered IMW for next year having entered LCW, now I'm sat here happily convinced that there's no reason not to!
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Saw him in Waitrose the other day, and we talked Triathlon sh1t until his wife's eyes glazed over Very Happy He lost his watch on the swim & had to use his 520 on the run.

Here's Nick being tracked by one of our young lads (he won the 18-24 AG).

PCP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhittleFit wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Saw him in Waitrose the other day, and we talked Triathlon sh1t until his wife's eyes glazed over Very Happy He lost his watch on the swim & had to use his 520 on the run.

Whoever won that AG must be super quick to beat Lewis Eccleston into 2nd. Lewis came 7th at Kona last year and won IMUK AG18-24 again this year.
Cheggers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having lurked on here it seems only fair I contribute a little so having had a play in Pembrokeshire last weekend I thought Id bung a few brief paragraphs down.

The reputation of IM Wales vaguely terrified me. Last year I booked accommodation to go and watch. Then I thought just watching was a silly idea and entered the race.

Had a recce trip to Wales in May so Id ridden the bike course which proved expensive as I decided I needed DI2 to get shifters near the brakes but was also invaluable on the day.

Tenby was everything they say about it just suberb. 6.30am on a Sunday morning and it was overflowing with people. Id done a little sea swimming and it was nice and calm and I was into the water with Lucy Gossages tips for the swim (just relax) going round my head. Pretty uneventful, all was good and it was done in 1hr 11min, which Im happy with.

Wetsuit down to waist, trainers on, got the pink bag (no way I was going to leave that Im sure somewhere along the line theyd mentioned theyd prefer you take it) and I did the run to T1. Never have I had an easier run, once you got into town it was like I was floating on air!

T1 probably took ages it usually does for me and I was out on the bike. Id set the bike computer (Wahoo Elemnt) up to flash lights at me depending on what the power meter told it. If the lights went red I backed off (apart from on hills). That worked well all the way round, and I loved the closed roads. Saundersfoot first time through was possibly the most enjoyable bit of cycling Ive ever done. Second time round the crowds had thinned a bit. Overall bike time was 6hrs 6mins. Happy with that too.

It all went a bit wrong on the run. Id come to Tenby to do IM Wales. I had about 9 hours for the run. Whatever happened I was going to do it and an element of CBA crept in. No real problems but I could and should have been quicker about 4hrs 22mins I think it was.

Overall 12hrs 3mins. Sunday evening I was thinking to myself that Id done Wales. Then on Monday lunchtime I got the email about 2019. Monday afternoon I entered for next year. I wasnt sure it was a good idea, since then Ive decided it is an excellent idea. Everything that they say about the race is true and Ive got a time to beat now, which should mean the run will be a bit more worthwhile.
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a highlights programme on S4C last night at 21:30. I can't access a "proper" computer as I'm at work, but it may be available through the BBC iPlayer.

This link may work......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p06jxkx5/ironman-wales
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Whoever won that AG must be super quick to beat Lewis Eccleston into 2nd. Lewis came 7th at Kona last year and won IMUK AG18-24 again this year.

Lewis went up an AG this year (25-29), he finished 2nd in his AG (sub-10) and is off to Kona again.
PCP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhittleFit wrote:
PCP wrote:

Lewis went up an AG this year (25-29), he finished 2nd in his AG (sub-10) and is off to Kona again.

Ah, I didnt realise he stepped up. Cheers.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhittleFit wrote:

Alright, enough. He's seen this thread and will get a big head Very Happy
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Alright, enough. He's seen this thread and will get a big head Very Happy

He did look very solid all day, sorry. Wink
Alan A

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a long time, good to see everyone is still kicking about.

Finnalky got my I'm monkey off my back. Here's my pre and post race write ups.

I ~#*$ love Tenby.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157644297052786&id=838862785

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157654921337786&id=838862785

https://arrantriathlon.wordpress.com/

3 Pistes Cycle

http://3pistescycle.co.uk
FatPom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan A wrote:
Been a long time, good to see everyone is still kicking about.

Finnalky got my I'm monkey off my back. Here's my pre and post race write ups.

I ~#*$ love Tenby.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157644297052786&id=838862785

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157654921337786&id=838862785

What were you hoping to split on the bike? Going form being 'one of the fastest' to 7:18 must have been a monumental meltdown, or did you underestimate the course Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: