Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Wales 2018 - 9th September
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SidSnot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Ironman Wales 2018 - 9th September Reply with quote

Good news that Wales is staying in Tenby for 5 years and date announced for next year

I may have just booked Kiln Park for this time next year....
JD-ScarabTri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm booked in the same B&B as 2014 and looking forward to those hills again. Apparently the hotels are pretty much all booked up already ! At least I don't have to worry about the race selling out on day 1.
Wales 2014
Ozzie1973

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just booked The Imperial Hotel for a family holiday in September next year.

I'm looking forward to a nice, quiet, relaxing Friday, Saturday and Monday...

My next task is to have a delicate conversation with Mrs. Ozzie.
Ironman Wales - 2013
Gower Triathlon - 2014
Blenheim Triathlon 2015
Ironman Lanzarote - 2015
SidSnot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie1973 wrote:
I've just booked The Imperial Hotel for a family holiday in September next year.

I'm looking forward to a nice, quiet, relaxing Friday, Saturday and Monday...

My next task is to have a delicate conversation with Mrs. Ozzie.

I'm in the same situation
IanR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stayed in Heywood Spa previously who want £180 a night for 3 nights. Booked Greenhill Hotel for £180 for 3 nights. Buzzin !
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booked into the Atlantic hotel overlooking the Esplanade. Was in Kiln Park this year which was good but that walk back and forward, although not too far, soon mounted up over the days (I was right by the indoor pool so the other end of the park) Did over 6miles of walking Friday with the registering and brief. Even more Saturday with the pre race swim and then back for ironkids spectating with my son as well!
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Booked into the Atlantic hotel overlooking the Esplanade. Was in Kiln Park this year which was good but that walk back and forward, although not too far, soon mounted up over the days (I was right by the indoor pool so the other end of the park) Did over 6miles of walking Friday with the registering and brief. Even more Saturday with the pre race swim and then back for ironkids spectating with my son as well!

Yeah, Its a good last resort but would look for something in town if poss.

After doing the walk once I thought "this is fine!" But it really added up after several trips, and any thoughts about driving into town were a complete fantasy.

For race morning it was fine, its just the inevitable back and forth that had me eyeing the esplanade hotels with green eyes!
Cheshire_set

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
hammerer wrote:

Yeah, Its a good last resort but would look for something in town if poss.

After doing the walk once I thought "this is fine!" But it really added up after several trips, and any thoughts about driving into town were a complete fantasy.

For race morning it was fine, its just the inevitable back and forth that had me eyeing the esplanade hotels with green eyes!

Agreed, we did the same, a caravan near the entrance to the park made for an awful lot of walking. In the end we were driving to the beach side and walking in from there but its still a good way. If I did it again I would 100% stay in town.
2017 - Sandstone Ultra, Bala middle, IM Wales
SidSnot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the discussion last night and given the go-ahead for 2018.
Doing the Tenby double, LCW and IM
Ex-Squaddie59

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My partner bless her was booking the Premier Inn at 0430Hrs on the Sunday of race day. Kiln Park was nice, but as mentioned the walk was starting to grind me..!!

Thats it, I've had my link and I'm in for next year..!! Hope the weather is better 👍💨💨🚴

Premier Inn is a little on the expensive side, but its right in town and I WILL definitely be able to make the walk to the finishers line for the golden hour.

I was in no fit state to walk from Kiln Park on Sunday. Mind was strong and wanted to go, but body said I ain't moving of this sofa big fella.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidSnot wrote:
Had the discussion last night and given the go-ahead for 2018.
Doing the Tenby double, LCW and IM

That's what I did this year. Stayed at the Atlantic, staff were ultra friendly and helpful. Doesn't really work for a family trip with little ones though, as they have no rooms with connecting doors and ours sleeps loads better in her own room.

Not that I'm ever going back to Tenby in this lifetime. Very Happy Very Happy
Cheggers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this thread last Friday and booked Kiln Park then - in case it got full. Reading the later posts concerned me a bit but since we have a motorhome (which is ever so convenient for this triathlon malarkey) and I don't know Tenby at all we'll be staying there.

Original plan was to do Vichy in August and to come and watch, but I've done Vichy before and it's only 4 weeks after Outlaw (which I'll also do) so, having got round the child looking after issues we thought we had, I'm taking part now.

Just waiting for Monday when I can chuck some money in Ironman's direction. I've been wanting to do Tenby for years and what with getting home for the children and school etc it's never seemed to be "doable" before.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheggers wrote:
Saw this thread last Friday and booked Kiln Park then - in case it got full. Reading the later posts concerned me a bit but since we have a motorhome (which is ever so convenient for this triathlon malarkey) and I don't know Tenby at all we'll be staying there.

Original plan was to do Vichy in August and to come and watch, but I've done Vichy before and it's only 4 weeks after Outlaw (which I'll also do) so, having got round the child looking after issues we thought we had, I'm taking part now.

Just waiting for Monday when I can chuck some money in Ironman's direction. I've been wanting to do Tenby for years and what with getting home for the children and school etc it's never seemed to be "doable" before.

On the way back on Monday, I saw quite a few motorhomes and campervans with a TT bike and a mtb on there. I guess people are using 'clunkers' to get in and out of town. Pretty good idea if you have the room in the vehicle.
Cheggers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. We’ve got the motorhome space - and I’ve certainly got the bikes - so as well as the TT we’ll take “commuting” bikes too.
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Kiln park was OK, it was just a tad too far but I would stay there again, IF I couldn't get somewhere in town. It's not a bad solution there are just better.

Having commuting bikes seems a perfect solution however Cool

And any criticism of Kiln park is only as an ironman base, it was a lovely place to stay and out caravan was very well appointed! It was just that walk got draggy after a few go's which wasn't ideal the day before an Ironman.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: