Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Wales 2018 - 9th September
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr ME wrote:
Toyota_Crown wrote:
SGreg wrote:
FatPom wrote:

I'm not anywhere near the same universe as your times

Yeah, Imagine having a "truly Awful Day" and "Only" bagging a 10:52 and being "utterly demoralised" Laughing
+1 Laughing :lynchMobAnyone?: Razz

Ok Ok… with the benefit of some hindsight I can see I had that coming and that my reflections weren’t going to win me many friends round here.
That being said, disappointment and elation are always relative. Phil Graves might be just as disappointed with his 9 hr finish as someone just missing the final cut off.
Anyway, a few days on and I can see that I had far too may eggs in the Ironman Wales basket. My experience on the day was less of a hitting the wall / throwing my toys out of the pram moment (of which I’ve had plenty) and more of a full blown existential crisis. I always knew I could finish but what was really ‘demoralizing’ me was the fact that (at the time) I couldn’t see the point of finishing or continuing. I was doing it for the sake of it rather than for the enjoyment. This was breaking my heart because previously I have absolutely loved racing in Tenby and as the location of my first IM it will always have particular significance. I shuffled round the run feeling that the day might mark the end of my relationship with long distance.
A few days on and I’m feeling differently. I don’t think I’ll stop racing IM but I do think this marks a turning point in terms of the significance I allow it to have in my mind and my life. Ironically, I think that giving it less significance will perhaps allow me to enjoy the experience again.

Been enjoying reading everyone’s account of their day, great report TRO. And Doca, looking at your splits that was a fantastic marathon – great work.
Oh, and TC - how you managed to keep up with Lucy Gossage for as long as you did was truly something to see - awesome running!!

I have a similar thought pattern. Last year's race was a bit of a nightmare time was but better than my medical DNF in 2015. I had no intention of racing this year, in fact Lanza was the plan with the carry over from Wales '17, get through winter, family holiday/race in Lanza in May and done for the year. It didn't work out that way.

LCW was my A race this year, and improved my placing by over 200 spots compared to last, with better bike and run splits. So I was happy but there was this nagging about IM Wales again and what could I really do on that course in better weather.

So I entered very late but somehow knew I always would. Leading up to the race I had the same thoughts as you, why just trudge around, what's the point etc etc but this race was always going to be an underlining of a pretty good year for me, both in tri, TT and Du.

So now that line has ben drawn. I love endurance sport but I need to something new, or at least different from the everlasting IM XLS process. I'm thinking of some enduro MTB, trail runs, short tri and of course back to TTs. Also want to do much more surfing as a family.

I'm not done with IM for life (maybe, who knows) but I'm done with it for now and I'm done with Tenby. It's great but time to 'move on' otherwise it's another year of planning around one race and I'm over that for now.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
FatPom wrote:
I found my '6.30' bike stud. His actual time was 08:14:53.

And he DNFd Lanza Rolling Eyes

Good work detective. I bet he virtually cleaned the merchandise tent out as well....

Very Happy

He was decked out in last year's race march which he DNFd, so I can only imagine the amount of stuff he bought for a race that he did finish!
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Good work detective. I bet he virtually cleaned the merchandise tent out as well....

Very Happy

He was decked out in last year's race march which he DNFd, so I can only imagine the amount of stuff he bought for a race that he did finish!

I bet he gave the engrave your splits and time on the back of the medal service a swerve though.....
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
FatPom wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Very Happy

I bet he gave the engrave your splits and time on the back of the medal service a swerve though.....

I didn't you could do that. I only looked at the medal properly today because Mrs FP commented on the 'Face the Dragon' words. I had no idea it was there. Medal is now lobbed in the bag at the back at wardrobe, with the others Cool
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:

Probably on IMJ right now advertising as a coach
SidSnot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
SidSnot wrote:
Doca wrote:
I finished in 10:35, 9th in AG. Guess it's close on the Kona slot (40_44), 9 slots were advertised but depends on finishers in all AG's, will have to wait for the awards to find out. Was 3 seconds behind 8th lol.

4 places behind you in 13th....10:52....goal was sub 11...so ticked that box and fastest IM Distance race in 6 attempts...

Really enjoyed the day, tough but with epic support that softens the blow

Nice work Sid.

Thanks. I think my aim of relaxing throughout the day, lapping up and engaging with the support helped; including singing along to "don't stop me know" up Saundersfoot. I had my best swim ever, felt strong and relaxed coming in in 51 for 7th fastest overall(including pro's). 5:47 bike compared to 5:42 at LCW, so about perfect.
Most importantly I avoided the usual meltdown on the run for a 4:02(which is a IM PB for me) again thinking relax and not fighting the hills.
All in all, really happy with how the day went....IM Wales really is a special event....for racers and spectators
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Very Happy

brilliant comment chuckling away here
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhittleFit wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

A friend of mine made the podium in M45, and he will be making someone very happy at the Roll Down today!

Apparently the lure was too great. Yet, this morning he said he couldn't face another year of IM training! Laughing

Saw Nick at the roll down......he'd definitely changed his mind by then! #KonaBaby

Saw him in Waitrose the other day, and we talked Triathlon sh1t until his wife's eyes glazed over Very Happy He lost his watch on the swim & had to use his 520 on the run.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidSnot wrote:

4 places behind you in 13th....10:52....goal was sub 11...so ticked that box and fastest IM Distance race in 6 attempts...

Just shows how much you must have f*ck'd-up on those flat courses Wink Very Happy

Sub-11 at Tenby Strong
SidSnot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
SidSnot wrote:

Just shows how much you must have f*ck'd-up on those flat courses Wink Very Happy

Sub-11 at Tenby Strong

I agree with you there
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Channelling Slowtwitch? Laughing
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr ME wrote:
Toyota_Crown wrote:
SGreg wrote:
FatPom wrote:

I'm not anywhere near the same universe as your times

Yeah, Imagine having a "truly Awful Day" and "Only" bagging a 10:52 and being "utterly demoralised" Laughing
+1 Laughing :lynchMobAnyone?: Razz

Ok Ok… with the benefit of some hindsight I can see I had that coming and that my reflections weren’t going to win me many friends around here.
That being said, disappointment and elation are always relative. Phil Graves might be just as disappointed with his 9 hr finish as someone just missing the final cut off.

No need to Defend yourself mate, My comments were entirely lighthearted!

We all have our own battles and demons and if the race was hard for YOU and this caused you to lose enjoyment I feel for you and have been there myself, In IM Nice I had an awful day to the point of pulling out. I could have finished and probably in around 13-14 hours which for some would be a dream but me it's a Disaster. and Because of that I just couldn't bring myself to go on!

I just couldn't help point out the hilarity of complaining about a 10:52 at Tenby Laughing

I do genuinely understand your point of view though. An inability to perform at your personal best is always disappointing and not a reserve of slower athletes.

Disappointing races Often lead to stellar performances in the next though! Very Happy
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to lie ... having said an IM was 100% not on the cards next year, this thread, and the 2019 one, are really making me get itchy feet.... Rolling Eyes
Doca

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
I'm not going to lie ... having said an IM was 100% not on the cards next year, this thread, and the 2019 one, are really making me get itchy feet.... Rolling Eyes

Having been to Wales I'm kind of wishing I hadn't booked Austria next year. LCW & Wales IM is a proper double act that trumps Austria which was also much better than Italy.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see a Tritalk thread with some great event write-ups too. 👍

Would love to do this one but the timing just doesn’t work for me.
Go on Stenard, you know you want too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: