Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Wales 2018 - 9th September
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just managed to change my room at the Atlantic to a single room, which saves a fortune but if you are looking for accom, they mentioned they have a double and a twin left (approx £175 p/n).

I really rate this hotel, close to transition, finish and expo. Great location for staying off your feet and they have some parking.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Just managed to change my room at the Atlantic to a single room, which saves a fortune but if you are looking for accom, they mentioned they have a double and a twin left (approx £175 p/n).

I really rate this hotel, close to transition, finish and expo. Great location for staying off your feet and they have some parking.

Funny old thing, it's probably not a coincidence that the years I managed to do that, rather than spend ages walking about - they were my best finishes.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Funny old thing, it's probably not a coincidence that the years I managed to do that, rather than spend ages walking about - they were my best finishes.

My DNF in 2015 would have happened anyway but I'm sure the proximity of my hotel on the other side of town that year didn't help. It's quite amazing how many back and forth trips you need to make, especially when transition is on the extreme other end of town. Add in trips to supermarket and eating out and it gets quite a chore.

Gawd knows how those at Kiln Park manage it, beater bike I guess? Tenby isn't big but it is hilly, which gets old real quick. The other thing is, there is an element of stress (at least for me) when thinking about when and where I need to be places.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:

My DNF in 2015 would have happened anyway but I'm sure the proximity of my hotel on the other side of town that year didn't help. It's quite amazing how many back and forth trips you need to make, especially when transition is on the extreme other end of town. Add in trips to supermarket and eating out and it gets quite a chore.

Gawd knows how those at Kiln Park manage it, beater bike I guess? Tenby isn't big but it is hilly, which gets old real quick. The other thing is, there is an element of stress (at least for me) when thinking about when and where I need to be places.

A lot of it is self induced by us faffing, but just being around the race site, the 'buzz' is enough to drain you of nervous energy. I often find as long as I have a car, staying away from the race is better, as you can switch-off from it.

The year I did Regensburg, I stayed at the Hansa Aparthotel (I know you looked at that too) and being away from it on the south side of town, I could relax; ate in the hotel every night, parked in the hotel garage etc, so no time burden looking for meals or parking etc. I just ordered a Taxi to the start, and back from the finish.

I think for big events, you actually have to plan how you'll do stuff on the Fri & Sat, just to avoid wasting time & energy.
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be a bit more organised if you are at Kiln. No twoing and froing. Make sure you have what you need and double/triple up reasons to be in town.

Think we walked there once to register and eat, and once to rack attend briefing and eat again. then once in the morning.

It is still a pain and I was very over it by the time I was done. Really liked the look of the esplanade hotels by the end of it! But Kiln is definitely manageable.

I can't say I have ever managed an easy day off my feet beforehand so can't really compare Laughing
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:

A lot of it is self induced by us faffing, but just being around the race site, the 'buzz' is enough to drain you of nervous energy. I often find as long as I have a car, staying away from the race is better, as you can switch-off from it.

The year I did Regensburg, I stayed at the Hansa Aparthotel (I know you looked at that too) and being away from it on the south side of town, I could relax; ate in the hotel every night, parked in the hotel garage etc, so no time burden looking for meals or parking etc. I just ordered a Taxi to the start, and back from the finish.

I think for big events, you actually have to plan how you'll do stuff on the Fri & Sat, just to avoid wasting time & energy.

It's for this reason i also like to big events alone, so that i can just focus on myself and not where my wife is going to eat on the day, what to do with the kids etc. Don't get me wrong, i love having them there on the sidelines when i'm racing (although i do tend to just feel guilty as it's a pretty boring sport [same goes for running/ultra running etc] and i know my wife is probabnly pretty bored) to support me. But the few events i've done now where i've just gone up with a mate (or on my own) who is also racing, and you just focus on getting there. Sort registration. Back to hotel. Food. Sleep. Don't have to be polite, don't have to be friendly, just get in the mood for racing. Well that works for me anyway. The few times we've stayed with friends, i've found that i'm not great company before a big race anyway!
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:

It's for this reason i also like to big events alone, so that i can just focus on myself and not where my wife is going to eat on the day, what to do with the kids etc. Don't get me wrong, i love having them there on the sidelines when i'm racing (although i do tend to just feel guilty as it's a pretty boring sport [same goes for running/ultra running etc] and i know my wife is probabnly pretty bored) to support me. But the few events i've done now where i've just gone up with a mate (or on my own) who is also racing, and you just focus on getting there. Sort registration. Back to hotel. Food. Sleep. Don't have to be polite, don't have to be friendly, just get in the mood for racing. Well that works for me anyway. The few times we've stayed with friends, i've found that i'm not great company before a big race anyway!

I liked Kiln Park for LCW because I told the family just to enjoy themselves and don'y worry about trying to see me. It's hard to fault, a lot to do on site, flat walk to beach and a large shop on site. We were in Guillemotte which was close to the beach path and the shop (and away from the pub!).

But for other stuff, yeah the solo thing is pretty good. Actually, my favourite person to go to races with is my sister. She can look after herself but always on hand to help out and loves the race/new town/ new coffee shops experience.

Jorgan, yeah I remember looking at that place. Had to pull out of Regensburg as Mrs FP was very unwell not long before the race. Pulled out of Roth as well. That was an expensive year!
Doca

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just cancelled a double room at the Esplanade if anyone is looking for a room.
t1mmy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know you were always going to sign up FatPom, you love it! Hopefully itíll be a little less windy on the bike for you this year.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:

It's for this reason i also like to big events alone, so that i can just focus on myself and not where my wife is going to eat on the day, what to do with the kids etc. Don't get me wrong, i love having them there on the sidelines when i'm racing (although i do tend to just feel guilty as it's a pretty boring sport

#metoo

I tend to go into a tunnel of OCD and introspection, so best to just go it alone. The children are too young (certainly our 4 year old) to get what it's all about, and it's a long day. Best scenario if they're young is for family to turn-up during the event to support on the run - but that only works if it's pretty local. I still surprises me when I turn up at events and there are people dragging crying toddlers out of cars at 5 in the morning.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
gingerbongo wrote:

It's for this reason i also like to big events alone, so that i can just focus on myself and not where my wife is going to eat on the day, what to do with the kids etc. Don't get me wrong, i love having them there on the sidelines when i'm racing (although i do tend to just feel guilty as it's a pretty boring sport

#metoo

I tend to go into a tunnel of OCD and introspection, so best to just go it alone. The children are too young (certainly our 4 year old) to get what it's all about, and it's a long day. Best scenario if they're young is for family to turn-up during the event to support on the run - but that only works if it's pretty local. I still surprises me when I turn up at events and there are people dragging crying toddlers out of cars at 5 in the morning.

Yeah, that doesn't play well I bet! Mrs FP and I used to go to loads of races together pre kids and she had a 100% spot on intuition for when I wanted to be talked to/left alone/needed help. She was/is amazing in that regard and I genuinely miss her at races but that's balanced by knowing that she's having a better/less stressful time at home. Also, accom options can be limited in a lot of hotels, where you either have to have two rooms that don't connect or get an apart hotel with a pull out bed.

I'd rather go to a race alone, or at least without Mrs FP and Little One, do the race, then have a holiday separately that is 100% about them. I took my 80yr old mother to IM Wales last year, she was great support, despite missing seeing me finish Very Happy

One of my favourite things to do at a race is just to chill with a coffee in the hotel lounge and just let the people come and go. I find it restful and engaging at the same time.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t1mmy wrote:
You know you were always going to sign up FatPom, you love it! Hopefully itíll be a little less windy on the bike for you this year.

I guess I did. I had (for me) a really good set of results at LCW and the choice was to walk away or see if I can convert a better outcome at IM. The weather seriously couldn't be any worse than last year but I'd just like a chance to 'attack' rather than 'survive' Cool
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
[One of my favourite things to do at a race is just to chill with a coffee in the hotel lounge and just let the people come and go. I find it restful and engaging at the same time.

Yeah, lots of people watching to be done at these events. I swear some people only own triathlon related clothing too; I have some friends like that Very Happy

I avoid entering any long events in the summer holidays, and Tenby is right after the school hols and is always the wife's Birthday weekend, which is why I've avoided it to date; it's not with the conflict of interest. I like to get the IM out of the way, then enjoy the holiday period.
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:

funny that as i cancelled my single room just last week Wink transferred to next year, deposit moved over also! brilliant service
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
FatPom wrote:
[One of my favourite things to do at a race is just to chill with a coffee in the hotel lounge and just let the people come and go. I find it restful and engaging at the same time.

Yeah, lots of people watching to be done at these events. I swear some people only own triathlon related clothing too; I have some friends like that Very Happy

I avoid entering any long events in the summer holidays, and Tenby is right after the school hols and is always the wife's Birthday weekend, which is why I've avoided it to date; it's not with the conflict of interest. I like to get the IM out of the way, then enjoy the holiday period.

I have a'rule' about this stuff. Whenever I go to an event, be it a training camp, race, surfing or whatever. I always wear a shirt that is totally unrelated.
At training camps I wear surfing shirts, surfing I'll wear a cycling t-shirt or wear something that is completely opposed distance wise. So at IM, wear your MidSomernetherwallop 5km fun shirt with pride. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 5 of 16

Jump to: