Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Aberfeldy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Aberfeldy Reply with quote

Hi guys

Did anyone do the Aberfeldy 70.3 on Sunday?

Interested as a possible alternative to Edinburgh next year for my first 70.3.
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havenít done the Edinburgh race, but I know the course quite well. Have done Aberdfeldy in the past.

They are quite different races despite both being organised by the same guys. Aberfeldy is a lot more low key.

Swim- Aberfeldy is generally a bit short and in a nice calm Loch. Edinburgh is in the Forth.

Bike- Aberfeldy has a couple of big, tough climbs, but also quite a bit of flat, Edinburgh is also tough as itís constantly rolling

Run is the other way round, But Edinburgh has a more iconic finish and probably more atmosphere

So many races so little time.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamieMcP wrote:
I havenít done the Edinburgh race, but I know the course quite well. Have done Aberdfeldy in the past.

They are quite different races despite both being organised by the same guys. Aberfeldy is a lot more low key.

Swim- Aberfeldy is generally a bit short and in a nice calm Loch. Edinburgh is in the Forth.

Bike- Aberfeldy has a couple of big, tough climbs, but also quite a bit of flat, Edinburgh is also tough as itís constantly rolling

Run is the other way round, But Edinburgh has a more iconic finish and probably more atmosphere

Thanks for that.

I'm in a quandary. My goal is to do a 70.3 next year and I'm torn between Edinburgh and Aberfeldy.

Edinburgh is attractive because it's "Ironman", however, and it might just be me, is more of a faff logistically and a heck of a lot more expensive. But, it's "Ironman".

Aberfeldy, well it's just down the road from Kenmore and we've been visiting and holidaying there for 30 years, it's got special memories. It's also a lot cheaper and much less of a faff from a logistical point for us.

I started on the triathlon journey because I'm 50 next year and wanted to do something memorable. Now I'm hooked! I know this won't be my only tri, but the first middle distance has to be something "special".

Sorry for the ramble!
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do a race with all the raz ma taz do Edinburgh, Aberfeldy basically finishes in a school car park (although that might have changed recently) also for Aberfeldy you have to be there the night before for the briefing.

Why not do both, or just go the whole hog and do the Celtman

So many races so little time.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamieMcP wrote:
If you want to do a race with all the raz ma taz do Edinburgh, Aberfeldy basically finishes in a school car park (although that might have changed recently) also for Aberfeldy you have to be there the night before for the briefing.

Why not do both, or just go the whole hog and do the Celtman

As it's my first, 2 within 6 weeks might be a bit ambitious! Celtman? Maybe with a few more year's experience.

Being there the night before is no issue. Had a long chat with the wife about it, we both agree, Aberfeldy would mean more as we've been going there for the last 30 years. It's actually less faff logistically and means we could make a long weekend of it.

Looks Aberfeldy will be my first 70.3 Very Happy
leahnp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aberfeldy show has moved out to Kenmore and finishes at Taymouth Castle . The registration, camping and finish is within walking distance so no need to travel to Aberfeldy for anything.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leahnp wrote:
The Aberfeldy show has moved out to Kenmore and finishes at Taymouth Castle . The registration, camping and finish is within walking distance so no need to travel to Aberfeldy for anything.

Even better.

Will be getting entry sorted once I get paid this month.

No camping for Mrs Roscoemck, she'll be expecting the usual Kenmore luxury Very Happy
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entered! My first 70.3, indeed my first triathlon (for now) is on 19th August next year.

Went for Aberfeldy as we love the area. Booked a lodge at Mains of Taymouth for 3 nights.

Really looking forward to it and relishing the training.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: