Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
What's your favourite triathlon and why?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SF




Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 607

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: What's your favourite triathlon and why? Reply with quote

Hello TriTalk,

I used to work in events and don't anymore. To scratch this itch I am going to attempt to organise a triathlon next year in bonnie Scotland.

I have an idea of what course I would like to use, and I have an idea of what I would like from a race but interested to hear your thoughts.

Off the top of my head I'd like to create something that...
- Is a really fast course... Give people a crack at PBs
- Didn't take the piss on entry fees, I'm not in it to make loads of .
- Made you feel like you were part of a higher tier race, try and do blue carpet in transition, proper numbers on the transition racks, good timing system, decent MC
- A race pack with something in it that isn't trying to sell you something.
- Couple of decent retailers there, maybe a massage tent, not sure if the budget would allow something like that for free. I like the idea of having a band or something but I think it's maybe a bit w*nk and the weather here is unpredictable at the best of times.

Interested to hear what your experiences are and how I could put something on that people would want to be a part of.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SloggingScotsman




Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 2610

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, my favourite is Bleinheim.

Why?

1. Location, I simply love the place.
2. Organisation, spot on.
3. Variety. Now I know this is subjective, but I like the contrast between the yucky green water, the rolling course which isn't that challenging (though wife tells me that some with expensive bikes were being walked up what I would call an incline and riding again from the top (G only knows how they coped with the back hill), and the down and up run.
4. Most important, nothing struck me as a fault.

While a half marathon, not a tri, what grinds my gears about the Reading half was how consistently 2.5+ hourer like me would not get the goody bag.

It's the principle, you pay for it so should get it. I don't begrudge the staff all getting them, but it is a bit off putting being told they have all gone every year when non runners have them. I know I know I should run faster.

Don't know if any of that will help.
_________________
Vote Stewart for Secretary General of the UN Smile
Good Judgement Project Brier Score 0.142 (median 0.367) https://www.gjopen.com/
Read: Our Place in the Twenty First Century
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FoulOleRon




Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 6617

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for me, the Race New Forest events probably edge it for me. Really well organised, not too big, beautiful locations to race in. I don't mind the silly early start times, but the registration having to be on the day before is the only negative I can think of.

Personally would rather have lower entry cost than some sort of finisher prize, but would say if you do go down that route, some item of wearable paraphernalia would be preferable to a medal. It also gets you some free advertising for the following event.

I'm personally not fussed by fast courses as I am a slow arse, much more interested in a good location and/or good feel to the event.

Good luck with it!
_________________
Find a happy place, find a happy place
http://mikemccrumpet.wordpress.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14664
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i prefer challenging and/or interesting courses...

PBs don't really count in this game...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
hillwall




Joined: 10 Aug 2010
Posts: 1729
Location: Norwich

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long is the event you want to organise? How many people do you want to attract?

1. I like one of the following, a PB course, epic scenery or inspirational for another reason. In between all of these doesn't appeal (so I've not been to Bolton)
2. Only have changes to the course/rules in the race brief and a quick reminder of numbers of laps. An hour listening to someone explaining a signposted course and reading the info that was on the website is tedious.
3. Race pack with something useful - my local tri always tries to have something that's not just a t-shirt (so dry bags, towels etc). I still use some sunglasses I got at an event.
4. I loved the finish at Forestman. Outside a bar so that there are lots of people sitting around seeing you finish - and they are still there for later finishers. Not sure about shorter races which finish in the morning.
5. Not bothered with massage or retailers - although someone selling basic last minute stuff you might have forgotten can be useful (gels, number belts, etc).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SF




Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 607

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah location wise it's not great but definitely not bad. I'm using this as a starter for 10 and leaning towards a fast course as a USP until I get into the swing of things. Having said that, there are lots of similar races so maybe making a rod for my own back a bit.

I have ideas for other events but it's just something I'd like to do on the side that I'm interested in as opposed to a money grab.

Keep the ideas coming. Big stand out so far is the less hassle the better in terms of registration, kit drop and getting on with the race. Which sounds obvious but good to get insight.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SF




Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 607

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hillwall wrote:
How long is the event you want to organise? How many people do you want to attract?

1. I like one of the following, a PB course, epic scenery or inspirational for another reason. In between all of these doesn't appeal (so I've not been to Bolton)
2. Only have changes to the course/rules in the race brief and a quick reminder of numbers of laps. An hour listening to someone explaining a signposted course and reading the info that was on the website is tedious.
3. Race pack with something useful - my local tri always tries to have something that's not just a t-shirt (so dry bags, towels etc). I still use some sunglasses I got at an event.
4. I loved the finish at Forestman. Outside a bar so that there are lots of people sitting around seeing you finish - and they are still there for later finishers. Not sure about shorter races which finish in the morning.
5. Not bothered with massage or retailers - although someone selling basic last minute stuff you might have forgotten can be useful (gels, number belts, etc).


I have a few decent ideas for stuff we can send out before hand to take the faff out of long winded briefings. I'd plan on having it all out or online ahead of time and the course is incredibly straightforward for that reason. The run and bike are an out and back. There's only two 'junctions' on the bike, one is out of T1 and the other is coming back in to T2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14664
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SF wrote:
hillwall wrote:
How long is the event you want to organise? How many people do you want to attract?

1. I like one of the following, a PB course, epic scenery or inspirational for another reason. In between all of these doesn't appeal (so I've not been to Bolton)
2. Only have changes to the course/rules in the race brief and a quick reminder of numbers of laps. An hour listening to someone explaining a signposted course and reading the info that was on the website is tedious.
3. Race pack with something useful - my local tri always tries to have something that's not just a t-shirt (so dry bags, towels etc). I still use some sunglasses I got at an event.
4. I loved the finish at Forestman. Outside a bar so that there are lots of people sitting around seeing you finish - and they are still there for later finishers. Not sure about shorter races which finish in the morning.
5. Not bothered with massage or retailers - although someone selling basic last minute stuff you might have forgotten can be useful (gels, number belts, etc).


I have a few decent ideas for stuff we can send out before hand to take the faff out of long winded briefings. I'd plan on having it all out or online ahead of time and the course is incredibly straightforward for that reason. The run and bike are an out and back. There's only two 'junctions' on the bike, one is out of T1 and the other is coming back in to T2.


i am astounded by how few people actually read and/or understand the on-line athlete info...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
hammerer




Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 16313
Location: Right Next Door To Hell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
SF wrote:
hillwall wrote:
How long is the event you want to organise? How many people do you want to attract?

1. I like one of the following, a PB course, epic scenery or inspirational for another reason. In between all of these doesn't appeal (so I've not been to Bolton)
2. Only have changes to the course/rules in the race brief and a quick reminder of numbers of laps. An hour listening to someone explaining a signposted course and reading the info that was on the website is tedious.
3. Race pack with something useful - my local tri always tries to have something that's not just a t-shirt (so dry bags, towels etc). I still use some sunglasses I got at an event.
4. I loved the finish at Forestman. Outside a bar so that there are lots of people sitting around seeing you finish - and they are still there for later finishers. Not sure about shorter races which finish in the morning.
5. Not bothered with massage or retailers - although someone selling basic last minute stuff you might have forgotten can be useful (gels, number belts, etc).


I have a few decent ideas for stuff we can send out before hand to take the faff out of long winded briefings. I'd plan on having it all out or online ahead of time and the course is incredibly straightforward for that reason. The run and bike are an out and back. There's only two 'junctions' on the bike, one is out of T1 and the other is coming back in to T2.


i am astounded by how few people actually read and/or understand the on-line athlete info...


On the IM Wales FB page on Saturday people were still asking about the pink bag even after it was brought up numerous times at the brief and was in the athletes pack, and even at registration they told us what each bag was for and that leaving the pink one by the beach would be a littering DQ (its actually a T0.5 bag for trainers for the 1km run to T1).

As for OP One thing we did at the aquathlon i put on was to give every marshal a number order list with first names on so they can address you by first name or shout personalised encouragement. Always got good feedback about the friendly marshalls knowing everyone's name and it being more personalised. simple thing but its the little things that can make a big difference sometimes. Also I like the RNF briefing being wrapped around a buffet lunch. Probably not practical unless you get a larger number but could work if you link with a local bar / restaurant and push families their way during the weekend.
_________________
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SF




Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 607

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
One thing we did at the aquathlon i put on was to give every marshal a number order list with first names on so they can address you by first name or shout personalised encouragement.


Great idea, thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1301

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SF wrote:
hammerer wrote:
One thing we did at the aquathlon i put on was to give every marshal a number order list with first names on so they can address you by first name or shout personalised encouragement.

Great idea, thank you.
Agreed. That was done at Windrush Aquathlon this year, and I thought it was a really nice touch. Not sure if that was the one?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hammerer




Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 16313
Location: Right Next Door To Hell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
SF wrote:
hammerer wrote:
One thing we did at the aquathlon i put on was to give every marshal a number order list with first names on so they can address you by first name or shout personalised encouragement.

Great idea, thank you.
Agreed. That was done at Windrush Aquathlon this year, and I thought it was a really nice touch. Not sure if that was the one?!


They got that from us 2 years back when we got together to discuss events in London League. They thought it just made the event more friendly.
_________________
Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat buddha




Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Posts: 2370
Location: rural Zuzzex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
SF wrote:
hillwall wrote:
How long is the event you want to organise? How many people do you want to attract?

1. I like one of the following, a PB course, epic scenery or inspirational for another reason. In between all of these doesn't appeal (so I've not been to Bolton)
2. Only have changes to the course/rules in the race brief and a quick reminder of numbers of laps. An hour listening to someone explaining a signposted course and reading the info that was on the website is tedious.
3. Race pack with something useful - my local tri always tries to have something that's not just a t-shirt (so dry bags, towels etc). I still use some sunglasses I got at an event.
4. I loved the finish at Forestman. Outside a bar so that there are lots of people sitting around seeing you finish - and they are still there for later finishers. Not sure about shorter races which finish in the morning.
5. Not bothered with massage or retailers - although someone selling basic last minute stuff you might have forgotten can be useful (gels, number belts, etc).


I have a few decent ideas for stuff we can send out before hand to take the faff out of long winded briefings. I'd plan on having it all out or online ahead of time and the course is incredibly straightforward for that reason. The run and bike are an out and back. There's only two 'junctions' on the bike, one is out of T1 and the other is coming back in to T2.


i am astounded by how few people actually read and/or understand the on-line athlete info...


that in a nutshell

it doesn't matter how much info you send out, post on a webpage, do at race briefing, many athletes simply seem to have an amazing capacity to either not read it, hear it or simply be arsed to do anything about it. and these will usually be the ones who moan about going wrong on the course, falling foul of a penalty, or just being a total PITA.

by all means keep the course simple, safe, inexpensive etc but also make sure you have a BTF race permit to ensure insurance is in place for all competing and you have the services of a good TO who can help you develop the event and manage matters on the day.

but as a TO I would say that eh?? Wink
_________________
And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blindcider




Joined: 12 Sep 2013
Posts: 222

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outlaw or Slateman have to be up there for me.

Slateman had the benefit of location and an epic course. Medal alternative (piece of slate) was a nice touch too.

Outlaw had the feel of an Ironman event but at half the cost. Good crowds, excellent feed stations on run and bike. top notch organisation and a great post race nosh tent
_________________
2017 Races Green Man Ultra, Conti thunder Run (solo), Dart 10k swim
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nick Berry




Joined: 18 May 2006
Posts: 2685

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I like two sorts of races.

1. A big, well organised, established, mass participation race on an interesting course. Ideally closed roads. Happy to travel to do one of these, once or twice a year, and make a weekend of it. Happy to pay many coin of the realm for the experience.

2. Local races less than one hour from my house. Pitch up on the morning & rack the bike. Course not important, it is more about friendly competition with the other cats in my back yard. The more homespun and cheaper the better, to a point. However, if the bike course does not look safe (dual carriageways, through town centres etc) I will not enter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.