Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wetsuit Buying Advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtaylor1988

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Wetsuit Buying Advice Reply with quote

Hi,

I was racing at IM 70.3 Weymouth at the weekend, and got extremely cold during the swim. The water temp was 17c, which I found really chilly, so much so that I couldn't get warm on the bike and DNF'd

I've got a budget of around 300 to buy a new wetsuit, but want one that will keep me warm in cold temperatures. I am a good swimmer so don't need to worry too much about buoyancy as long as I am warm.

Appreciate the help in advance
SidSnot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were you wearing on the bike? How did you feel swimming in similar temperature water prior to Weymouth?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you're limited to 5mm thickness in Triathlon, and I expect that's what the body of your current suit is made of? As the last post says, what about your bike clothing? Maybe invest in a windstopper (fronted) jersey; I have one and they're brilliant; it's a Gore Oxygen WS.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as Jorgan says, you won't get a tri wetsuit with neoprene thicker than 5mm so I doubt whatever you buy will make that much difference to keeping warm.

how much experience do you have of swimming in water between say 15C and 20C?? if you've come from mainly a pool or shallow lake swimming background you'll be used to much warmer water in the main so that may have contributed to you feeling the cold more. simple answer to that is to acclimatise to cooler water by sea swimming more
DrClean

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a coach I would always suggest that you acclimatise to cold water. If you get into 10 degrees then 13 degrees seems warm, 12 degrees and 15 seems warm etc.

Did you acclimatise?

Secondly, I would consider wet suit fit. The suit should be fairly tight with no bulges that could let water accumulate away from he skin. If it didn't fit well then you will feel cold.

Thirdly, was your zip fully up? If it was 2 to 3 inches too low then more water will be pouring into the suit than it was designed for.

Fourth, if you weren't acclimatised how many hats did you wear? Early season I would wear 2 hats - and if you saw the ITU race Saturday some were wearing neoprene hats. Heat loss through the head causes a huge amount of heat loss. You can always put an extra hat on underneath the race swim cap.

To most of us here 17 degrees would be quite normal. I, for one, wouldn't wear 2 hats for a race at that temperature as I would get too hot towards the middle/end of the swim. I would therefore investigate further before simply assuming it's the wetsuit.

Cheers

Wayne
http://www.CapeVerdeTriathlon.com
DrClean

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry, forgot one.

Did you warm up in the water? Surprising how many people don't.

Cheers
http://www.CapeVerdeTriathlon.com
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you located? I bought a new wettie this year after using my old one for 11yrs and went to Tri UK and used their Endless Pool to try them. They have a guy there that just does LD swimming and he's really good with the fits.

I tried a few and ended up with one that was way under my budget but fits like a glove and doesn't rub at all. It's 3.5mm but I'm very used to surfing in big waves and cold water, so i don't get affected too much.

But I'd say fit AND learning how to put it properly will help heaps..
kevb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great advice above, but if you still think it's the wetsuit check out the Orca TRN range
SGreg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried swimming faster?

Even in 15DegC I overheat when working hard, Only very cold water do I ever feel the need to get out due to core cooling! Once the face and feet and hands are numb I can swim for quite a while in 11/12DegC without getting cold as long as effort is HIGH

I know we are all different but a 70.3 is meant to be quite a high effort?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget. Never use petroleum jelly on your wetsuit; a fate worse than death Laughing
SGreg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Don't forget. Never use petroleum jelly on your wetsuit; a fate worse than death Laughing

I overheard a women talking about this at the practice swim before Wales.

Accidentally she had come to a very similar conclusion. But here logic floored me. It was baby oil though not PJ

"Well I use Baby Oil on my BABY! It doesn't harm My baby so it must by ok for my wetsuit!"

Right because your baby is made out of neoprene! Laughing

My mind was instantly brought to my go to method for removing race number tattoos, basically rubbing in baby oil and watching the tattoo simply melt off my skin. Good job here baby isn't made out of that!

Don't get me wrong I would happily use Baby on a wetty (Apart from the fact its far to thin and would wash off, Sudocreme for me!) It's just her logic.

She then went off about how she needed a new suit anyway as hers was made way back in 2015 and Wetsuit Tech has moved on SO much since then.....righto Laughing Laughing

Bloody Ironmen
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:

She then went off about how she needed a new suit anyway as hers was made way back in 2015 and Wetsuit Tech has moved on SO much since then.....righto Laughing Laughing

Bloody Ironmen

It's just neoprene. Pretty sure the Snugg suits are the same now as when I got mine 10 years ago. Is that because they are luddites, or because apart from marketing ploys, little has changed.

It's all about fit and the appropriate buoyancy.
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

I never understood where this b0ll0x comes from. Surfers use PJ on their wetties and those are taking more abuse than any tri suit will ever see. My previous tri wettie was 11yrs old, the one before that about 9yrs old and a few surfing suits inbetween (springies, SJs and steamers).

All with Vaso, no harm done.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I never understood where this b0ll0x comes from. Surfers use PJ on their wetties and those are taking more abuse than any tri suit will ever see. My previous tri wettie was 11yrs old, the one before that about 9yrs old and a few surfing suits inbetween (springies, SJs and steamers).

precisely. no doubt if you leave PJ in permanent contact with neoprene there will be some changes over a period, but given that most gets a) washed or rubbed off, and b) many change their wetsuits every few years before any change gets noted, then in the real world it won't cause any problems.
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

precisely. no doubt if you leave PJ in permanent contact with neoprene there will be some changes over a period, but given that most gets a) washed or rubbed off, and b) many change their wetsuits every few years before any change gets noted, then in the real world it won't cause any problems.

Plus it's a whole lot cheaper than Body Glide ( which I never found very effective on the couple of times I tried it).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: