Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Renovating Islabike

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Renovating Islabike Reply with quote

After advice pls. I am just buying a second hand Islabike cnoc (small 16" kids bike) for my son. It looks to be structurally sound but paint's knackered and parts may be worn. I want to do it up nicely for his birthday, but also manage the costs (i'm paying 90 for it and they're 290 new, so I reckon up to 100 all in for the renovation including any parts I need to replace. I know that takes it towards the cost of a recent second hand one, and repainting may drop it's resale, but it'll go through 2 kids and I'd like it to be custom for them so I'm happy with that). I'm fine stripping and re-building bikes but it's been ages since I repainted one so my questions are:

- do I strip (the bike) and repaint it myself or have it powder-coated by someone? I have a quote for 50-60 for the latter. I'm guessing this will give the best finish and probably not much more than the cost of doing it myself, although a big chunk of my budget either way.

- if I get it powder-coated do I still need to lacquer it? I'll likely be adding vinyl decals if that makes a difference.

- any good ideas on where to get decent kid bike parts (and at a good price)? It definitely needs a new saddle, and probably also tyres and pedals. Not sure in the mechanical parts until I see it, but CRC has most of these like-for-like parts. I've seen very cheap saddles on JE James but am nervous given the price

Thanks!
jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your money, 190 for a cnoc 16 is pretty high, if you're going to be spending money and doing work, adding brakes to a BMX and changing the gearing will give you a lighter and better bike for a fraction of the money.

Islabikes are losing their resale value as so many other good options are now coming available 2nd hand, they are far from the lightest or best options.

The islabike kit is all cheap stuff, often the problem is finding it, but it's a bike they'll ride for a year or so at most, just recycle through the kit quickly! They don't really get warn out as they are ridden so little and are all over-engineered for a 15kg kids power.

I'd certainly outsource the painting though, loads of hassle for not much saving, you shouldn't need to laquer it, but you could, and might help if the decals are added after.
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Save your money, 190 for a cnoc 16 is pretty high, if you're going to be spending money and doing work, adding brakes to a BMX and changing the gearing will give you a lighter and better bike for a fraction of the money.

Islabikes are losing their resale value as so many other good options are now coming available 2nd hand, they are far from the lightest or best options.

The islabike kit is all cheap stuff, often the problem is finding it, but it's a bike they'll ride for a year or so at most, just recycle through the kit quickly! They don't really get warn out as they are ridden so little and are all over-engineered for a 15kg kids power.

I'd certainly outsource the painting though, loads of hassle for not much saving, you shouldn't need to laquer it, but you could, and might help if the decals are added after.

Disagree with most of this. We bought a Rothan last year new for 145 and recently sold it for 110.

Bought a new Cnoc for 265 and already have a waiting of parents ready to buy it when we sell. They hold their value incredibly. There more options now, some may be better, I don't know but Islabikes certainly hold their value.

Little one really took to it and was riding in about 20 seconds! The brakes work well and the tires and wheels roll well.

We have a girl but always buy red so as not to restrict the market.
kevb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time Islabikes seemed like the only people doing kids road bikes, but there are quite a few around now. There are some good ones on ebay (probably if you're prepared to travel), a Giant SCR 3.0 XXS for 160 that looks mint for example.

Biggest problem I have found with smaller bikes in the past has been tyres and tubes!
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islabikes are still one of the lightest and best mini-sized bikes. Frog and Wiggins not far behind. People still go a long way to get a used one. New prices have risen quite a lot with the exchange rate, so used prices are still excellent,especially if you sell in spring or Nov/early Dec.
Parts are unlikely to be worn as kids that small just don't really do enough miles to eat the BB bearings or chainset.
Do you have any local auctions, or a car boot nearby? You should find a cheap childs 16" bike almost new for a tenner or less with nearly new tyres, tubes, grips and saddle, plus possibly a few other bits. Use these and then chuck the rest away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: