Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Rubbish Ironman Pro's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Rubbish Ironman Pro's Reply with quote

Just wondered how you get a pro licence to race Ironman? Do you need to prove a level of ability, or show a certain level to keep the pro licence?

I say this because I have seen some terrible pro's out there.

Latest example was at IM Italy - female Russian Pro. Caught her on the bike - bear in mind FPRO started 10 mins before us AGers, it was 8 mins before I got in the water and I was not in any way FOP (18th AG, 280 odd o/a).

This pro recorded a 1:16 swim. She was also doing the most blatant drafting I have ever seen on the bike - not the 'whoops I seem to think that 2-3m is actually 12m' sort of drafting but actively wheel hopping on any AGer that goes by like Cavendish in the last km when he's lost his train.

Then we had the descent - triathletes are not great descenders, I am not even a good descender by Triathlete standards but as I blew past her on the descent I thought she looked like someone out on their very first ride. Unbelievable.

Just wondering how on earth someone like that gets a pro licence...
blindcider

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice backdoor brag - 18th AG, 280 odd o/a seems very FOP to me Razz

I think your local Tri assoc. has to validate your pro card but I'll never need to worry about that
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTF is difficult, submit a list of results and they'll decide. You wont be getting one for swimming a 1:16 though. Some other countries are far more lax.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
BTF is difficult, submit a list of results and they'll decide. You wont be getting one for swimming a 1:16 though. Some other countries are far more lax.

Some of the qualification times have always been a bit odd, particularly for long distance

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Chrace

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rubbish Ironman Pro's Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
...female Russian Pro.

Perhaps they were just baselining before enrolling her on the doping programme.
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
hammerer wrote:

Some of the qualification times have always been a bit odd, particularly for long distance

I just checked, to get one...well you don't get pro licence from btf but they confirm eligibility to WTC / Challenge. You need TWO results that are within 8% of an elite winner at a branded type race, challenge, Ironman, ITU LD worlds. There are other caveats. USAT was also 8% and NZTri was 12%

[url]
https://www.britishtriathlon.org/britain/documents/gb-teams/multisport-long-distance/long-distance-criteria-2017-onwards-nb.pdf [/url]
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found myself in front of a few during races, particularly towards the end of the bike, I'm not a great swimmer ~1:06 IM.

A couple of times though they have put the hammer down on the run and dropped me, even if\when I had a decent run.

Although I have wondered a few times when you see some coming in around 11 hours even on a decent course.

Jeff
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, who hasn't seen the front of the female race; when I finally get to see the Outlaw coverage, I hope to see myself grinning at the camera when Carritt takes the lead, me 12.01m behind her Wink
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the std was finishing within a % of the winner at a race where the prize purse was over $5k or something like that?
Andy G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
I thought the std was finishing within a % of the winner at a race where the prize purse was over $5k or something like that?

https://www.britishtriathlon.org/britain/documents/gb-teams/multisport-long-distance/long-distance-criteria-2017-onwards-nb.pdf
AliR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rubbish Ironman Pro's Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Just wondered how you get a pro licence to race Ironman? Do you need to prove a level of ability, or show a certain level to keep the pro licence?

I say this because I have seen some terrible pro's out there.

Latest example was at IM Italy - female Russian Pro. Caught her on the bike - bear in mind FPRO started 10 mins before us AGers, it was 8 mins before I got in the water and I was not in any way FOP (18th AG, 280 odd o/a).

This pro recorded a 1:16 swim. She was also doing the most blatant drafting I have ever seen on the bike - not the 'whoops I seem to think that 2-3m is actually 12m' sort of drafting but actively wheel hopping on any AGer that goes by like Cavendish in the last km when he's lost his train.

Then we had the descent - triathletes are not great descenders, I am not even a good descender by Triathlete standards but as I blew past her on the descent I thought she looked like someone out on their very first ride. Unbelievable.

Just wondering how on earth someone like that gets a pro licence...

As others have said, some Federations have strict(ish) standards for Elite cards, some nations not so much, which is where some of the rubbish "Pros" come from.

WTC allows anyone who has an Elite card from their Federation to pay the $800(?) to get an IM Pro license. They don't care how you got your Elite card. Which means that you can meet the standard and get your card in a few Sprint Tris, and then go straight into an IM Pro startline.

There are circa 1000 registered IM Pros, a significant number of them are really just good age groupers who got their Elite card via the easiest route for their ability (often Sprint/Olympic distance) so that they can take full advantage of the $800 "all you can eat" race entries that come with the IM Pro license.
ttowel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All down to federations. If you are the only triathlete in say Cyprus, you can be a pro and just be a 10-11 hour male pro on a fast course.

British rules are now quite tight, used to be on a CV of results, now a strict 8%
SidSnot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Meh, who hasn't seen the front of the female race; when I finally get to see the Outlaw coverage, I hope to see myself grinning at the camera when Carritt takes the lead, me 12.01m behind her Wink

I got into T2 at the same time as her, and I think right next to you running into the tent according to the announcer...
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidSnot wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I got into T2 at the same time as her, and I think right next to you running into the tent according to the announcer...

as Benny Vansteelant was being interviewed after a PM Zofingen win one year, the camera captures my T2 in full glory, some 30k of running behind the race winner Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SidSnot wrote:

Yep. Unforunately for you, your run was even worse than mine Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: