Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Abu Dhabi 2018 - Kit Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike84

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Abu Dhabi 2018 - Kit Question Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've just entered the ITU/WTS Abu Dhabi Age Group Event for next year in March and had a question about permissible tri suits. The rules from triathlon.org state that sleeved suits of any kind aren't permitted, however what's not clear is whether this is Championship/Elite athletes only or if it applies to athletes just racing the one-off Olympic distance for a lark (like me).

Looking at the ITU website FAQs for amateurs, it seems to suggest you can race in whatever you want, and looking at photos from Leeds last year, there are people racing in sleeved suits.

I've got a sleeved suit and CBA buying another just for this one race, and I'm not the biggest fan of sleeveless suits. Has anyone out there raced an amateur ITU/WTS race that can offer any help here?

Thanks

Mike
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as I'm both a BTF and ITU qualified TO I can answer.

For Elite/Championship events run under ITU rules, sleeves are not permitted.

But age group races at WTS Events such as Leeds and Abu Dhabi are run under the local federation rules which can differ and under the BTF rules sleeves are permitted in non-wetsuit swims - hence why you saw them at Leeds. The rule allowing this came into force on 1st Jan this year.

If - and it's an if - Abu Dhabi have similar fed rules to the BTF (I'm not even sure they have a Tri Federation!) then I would think sleeves are OK.
mike84

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks for your help. I might just email them to be sure. I thought that made sense given it's not a championship type race. The website even hints at people racing in jackets for Leeds weather so they can't be that strict!
fat buddha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike84 wrote:
Great, thanks for your help. I might just email them to be sure. I thought that made sense given it's not a championship type race. The website even hints at people racing in jackets for Leeds weather so they can't be that strict!

the BTF runs the ITU rulebook in almost it's entirety but with some minor changes for UK conditions and situations. jackets are fine over trikit in the UK provided the race number remains clearly visible. we don't want any athlete freezing to death here and unlikely that will happen in AD!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: