Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IM 70.3 gear/advice needed for rookie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RookieSam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: IM 70.3 gear/advice needed for rookie Reply with quote

Morning,

First post here so hi! I'm pretty new to tri, I did Saundersfoot sprint triathlon the day before IMW this month and the bug bit me hard so I have bought into IM Staffs in June 2018 for the biggest challenge so far.

My question is if you'd oblige me, what other bits do I 'need' and what else would be 'helpful'? What would be a 'luxury'?

My gear is as below:

Orca wetsuit with goggles

Tri shorts, just wore sports top, Scott Pro tri cycle shoes and a Scott AFD Expert road bike (will get aero bars for comfort), generic sports glasses, tri belt

Asics gel shoes and run in tri shorts/sports shirt.

Any advice appreciated. I'm aware a specific tri bike would be ideal but I don't think I have the budget for one but will make the purchase prior to doing IMW.

Many thanks,
Sam
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have got the stuff you need, anything on top would be a luxury or a better version of what you have. My 2P you would be better off spending the money on "you". Such as:

- Swim Clinic to work on your technique and improve you swim
- Custom training plan from a coach or online
- Bike Fit

Power meter is always a good investment but they are expensive.

A tighter fitting tri top is probably worth it. A flappy sports top would be annoying and is less aerodynamic (although wont make a huge difference).

If you are looking for things to make you faster then a decent set of low CRR tyres wont break the bank and if you are running the default tyres the bike came with can make a difference.
RookieSam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters - thanks so much for that. Absolutely taken on board. Will certainly look at the bike fit/training plan. I'm based in S Wales and aware that Whittle Fit is here too.... the swimming is the best part of my tri. In my first race I did 750m in 15mins and found it easy so I think progress should be quick and positive. It's the running I struggled the most with at a 27min 5k but in training was doing 25m 5k's......plenty of room for improvement. Will ask for a tri top for Christmas. The bike currently has 'Gatorskins' front and back. Unsure if these are reasonable etc? The bike was from my uncle!

I just cycled to the Cardiff international pool to knock out some swimming and remembered a couple of other points......

I have a Tacx smart turbo trainer with bluetooth/ant+ etc I picked up as new off gumtree for 50 which has been brilliant in just the last couple of weeks.

I'm also a golfer so have a Garmin golf watch and therefore I suppose in the 'ecosystem'. Would I see value/benefit in a watch to track my exercise as right now i'm reliant on my phone for Strava biking/running with no recording of any swimming. If so any on the cheaper spectrum that may suffice or another brand that does the 'tri' side of things or is it worth the investment?

I also don't have a bike computer of any kind but do have a HR chest strap so thought that could be a positive move, something like the Garmin Edge 25?
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorskins are robust, but dont have the best reputation for grip and are heavy. I would have 4 seasons as a do-it-all tyre, which is what I have on my commuter but GP4000s on my race bikes.

If you have a smart turbo, then a subscription to trainerroad or zwift (no personal experience of the latter) is a cheap way of replicating having a power meter.

GPS wise, I would advocate a second hand 910xt. It made such a difference to me when starting out. Surprisingly for swimming as much as bike-run. Being able to set alerts to pace my swim training consistently, rather than flying off and dying, enabled me to make significant improvement. The 910 is also a fully fledged bike computer and run GPS, plus is obviously multisport enabling you to use in racing, so can do everything you need in one device. And second hand, would be very cheap now.
RookieSam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stenard. Much appreciated! I ride this bike daily on the commute and is what I'll use to race for the time being. Possibly sensible to continue on teh gatorskins until nearer raceday and then move over to some racier tires? Seem reasonable?

Yes, definitely going to concentrate on Zwift. I used their trial and thoroughly enjoyed it and sweated like a pig.

That's v helpful re the 910xt. I'll certainly look to pick up one of these. RE Bike computer, does it pick up Ant+ info like cadence etc or is it more basic? I'm guessing then when riding you just need to look at your watch rather than have it mounted on the bars? It looks like they are available for 65 odd quid
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RookieSam wrote:
That's v helpful re the 910xt. I'll certainly look to pick up one of these. RE Bike computer, does it pick up Ant+ info like cadence etc or is it more basic? I'm guessing then when riding you just need to look at your watch rather than have it mounted on the bars? It looks like they are available for 65 odd quid

Yep, it's effectively a fully fledged bike and run gps. Albeit a smaller screen than a standalone bike computer.

As it's a tri watch, you can get a quick release kit that enables the screen to be detached from your wrist and then mounted on the handlebars for easier viewing.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a 'quick release kit' for the 910xt to give you the option to mount it on your bike or wrist. Depends on personal preference.

Just for the ability to count your swim lengths it justifies itself. Then all the toys for running intervals and better battery life than a phone for a bike computer. 2nd hand, the barometer had a reputation for breaking, or maybe just clogging with sweat as mine tended to recover if I did enough swimming! In the end, the vibration alert became intermittent which made doing running reps or swim reps annoying. I now have mine mounted on a quick release kit as a dedicated bike computer.

--
t1mmy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 910XT for sale if you're interested. It's the full triathlon bundle so has the quick release kit and bike speed/cadence sensors.

Ad here - http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/ads_item.php?id=12993

For some reason the pic I have isn't loading into the ad but I can happily send one if you're interested. I did IMW this year and the battery was good for 16+ hours!
RookieSam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
RookieSam wrote:

Yep, it's effectively a fully fledged bike and run gps. Albeit a smaller screen than a standalone bike computer.

As it's a tri watch, you can get a quick release kit that enables the screen to be detached from your wrist and then mounted on the handlebars for easier viewing.

Bike and run GPS along with the swimming side of things sounds like a no brainer! Thanks Stenard.
RookieSam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t1mmy wrote:
I have a 910XT for sale if you're interested. It's the full triathlon bundle so has the quick release kit and bike speed/cadence sensors.

Ad here - http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/ads_item.php?id=12993

For some reason the pic I have isn't loading into the ad but I can happily send one if you're interested. I did IMW this year and the battery was good for 16+ hours!

DM'd Timmy!
RookieSam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
You can get a 'quick release kit' for the 910xt to give you the option to mount it on your bike or wrist. Depends on personal preference.

Just for the ability to count your swim lengths it justifies itself. Then all the toys for running intervals and better battery life than a phone for a bike computer. 2nd hand, the barometer had a reputation for breaking, or maybe just clogging with sweat as mine tended to recover if I did enough swimming! In the end, the vibration alert became intermittent which made doing running reps or swim reps annoying. I now have mine mounted on a quick release kit as a dedicated bike computer.

--

Fantastic, thanks for the extra info Buzz!
iwaters

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:

--

Pretty much my experience. I bought a factory restored unit fora bout 120. The baraometer has the occasional brain fart and thinks I'm scaling Everest. Cleaning the holes usually brings it back to sensible numbers. My vibrate has a mind of its own.

Its a good watch though and much cheaper now.

The quick release kit is ok except that it makes the watch sit really high on your wrist which is a bit annoying.
RookieSam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
Buzz_ wrote:

--

Pretty much my experience. I bought a factory restored unit fora bout 120. The baraometer has the occasional brain fart and thinks I'm scaling Everest. Cleaning the holes usually brings it back to sensible numbers. My vibrate has a mind of its own.

Its a good watch though and much cheaper now.

The quick release kit is ok except that it makes the watch sit really high on your wrist which is a bit annoying.

That's great. Thanks for the heads up. I wear a watch daily so it sounds like it may feel funny. Oh well, sounds like a good value watch regardless so maybe I just 'man up' and get used to it! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: