Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Garmin 800 not connecting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Garmin 800 not connecting Reply with quote

After 4 weeks of no riding I went out today and my Garmin 800 won't connect to my laptop or charger. I've got a spare cable and tried both. Obviously it's pretty old so no chance of a warranty change.

Does anyone know if it will be fixable? There is nothing else wrong with it, it just doesn't seem to recognise when it is plugged in.
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the newer version of Garmin Express? I had to update mine very recently?

Remove and then reinstalling it?

My 810 can freeze to so maybe try some sort of reset; starting with just a switch off and then progressing to power plus other buttons?
PCP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not even being picked up at the USB port (not even in 'my computer') so it's not Garmin Express
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
It's not even being picked up at the USB port (not even in 'my computer') so it's not Garmin Express

I had a similar thing with mine, the only way I could get activities off it was to save them to a SD card and use that. About 2 months later it completely died on me and I got a replacement at nil cost through the warranty scheme. That also died on me a couple of months latter and I brought a 520.

So many races so little time.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a different usb cable / usb port. Or try on someone else's laptop (/your work computer). I get the same thing on my laptop every now and again, both with my old Edge 500 and the newer Edge 520 when trying to do firmware updates. It's never turned out to be the Edge, and always the cable/computer port
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the feedback and suggestions. Unfortunately I've tried 2 laptops, 5 USB ports and 2 cables.

I really want this to stay alive because I really like the large screen.
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCP wrote:
Cheers for the feedback and suggestions. Unfortunately I've tried 2 laptops, 5 USB ports and 2 cables.

It's a bit of a pain and you will loose the rides that you have on the Garmin now, but you just need to put an SD card in and change the settings so it saves rides to that. you can then use a card reader to upload them. well that's what worked for me.

So many races so little time.
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamieMcP wrote:
PCP wrote:

It's a bit of a pain and you will loose the rides that you have on the Garmin now, but you just need to put an SD card in and change the settings so it saves rides to that. you can then use a card reader to upload them. well that's what worked for me.

Cheers, I'll do that. It seems pointless getting a new unit when this one works.
I'm not bothered about losing current rides.
Foggo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue. I cleaned the contacts with white spirit. I think an alcohol wipe would have been better but white spirit seemed to do the job
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just started working again last week. I have to pull the files out of MyComputer as the unit isn't recognised when trying to upload directly to TP or Strava but that is a minor issue, the unit does everything else it used to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: