Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Castelli Gabba & Perfetto

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Castelli Gabba & Perfetto Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting the Perfetto Convertable jkt. But just as a point of reference, has anyone here used the Perfetto or Gabba - looking for some feedback. I tend not to get too cold, so was swaying toward the thinner jkt. Thanks.
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a short sleeved Gabba for a couple of years now (paired with their nano armwarmers) and it's brilliant. I find it fine for spring/autumn but do need a decent base layer when it's colder: I do feel the cold though.

It's not a jacket for the fat lads but I'm sure you don't fall into that category.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonmonkey02 wrote:

It's not a jacket for the fat lads but I'm sure you don't fall into that category.

Hope not! My Sanremo suit is a Large, but when I tried a Gabba last year I think the M gave a good 'race fit'. I'm 181cm/75kg.
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
moonmonkey02 wrote:

Hope not! My Sanremo suit is a Large, but when I tried a Gabba last year I think the M gave a good 'race fit'. I'm 181cm/75kg.

I'm 185cm/82kg and have a large: snug fit but enough room for a decent base layer. Reckon medium would be good for you.
JeffB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a XL Gabba, I'm 75kg but only 178cm, although my chest is about 102cm.

I like the Gabba but tend to use it more for running actually, I wouldn't use it on the bike probably lower than 10c, but I'm a bit of a wimp TBH.

I've got the Rapha equivalent which I like a bit better and did use a lot last winter, although I seem to tolerate the cold a bit better now, and I'd have bib longs and a merino base on.

Jeff
Crozza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the SS Gabba (Mk 1). with Nano armwarmers and a base layer it is good for me down to about 5 degrees, which means pretty much all year here for spirited rides.

I wouldn't/couldn't wear it above about 13 degrees though - too hot. for that reason also thinking of getting the Perfetto for Sep/Oct/Nov/April/May and inclement summer weather
SF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Castelli Gabba & Perfetto Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I'm looking at getting the Perfetto Convertable jkt. But just as a point of reference, has anyone here used the Perfetto or Gabba - looking for some feedback. I tend not to get too cold, so was swaying toward the thinner jkt. Thanks.

I've got the new long sleeved Perfetto. I managed to win 100 in Evans vouchers and went for it.

Fits very small, I'm usually a Large and the XL feels like a race fit. In terms of warmth, I also run quite hot, and with the perfetto and a short sleeved base layer it's too hot in anything approaching 15 degrees. Wore it in 10 with a light drizzle with the vents open and it was perfect.

5-10 degrees I'd say would be bang on. It's shower proof too, well feels like it anyway.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, looking for something that with a base layer I can wear down towards 5 degrees or below. I have been able to wear a Gore Oxygen WS jersey with baselayer & roubaix arm warmers on winter morning rides without issue; if I wore a gilet with that, it would normally be off within 20 min as most routes from the house are uphill. If I choose the one downhill option, it's baltic to start on cold clear mornings - so the hill directions to start are normally the best way to warm-up and take less kit.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get a new SS Perfetto on ebay for 46 this week, size L Cool It actually seems quite 'heavyweight' compared to my Gore WS jersey, particularly the back of it. The L is very snug with a base layer. I think the temperature is going to need to be below 10 degrees before I use it though, as there are enough hills around here that mean I would overheat in it quite quickly. Seems to be a very well made garment, with a nice big reflective logo on the back.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I know how much you're all dying to hear how I got on with it first ride. Saturday morning was wet, but fairly mild. Wore a base layer underneath, and whilst I thought it might be a bit warm for me to wear it (12-13 deg), it was only on a 10 min climb that I unzipped it to my waist. The lack of Windstopper on the back seems to allow enough cooling, whilst the water repellent finish worked well (mainly road spray, with some light rain). The pockets on the latest version are quite firmly elasticated and smaller than the first version, so harder to access and less capacity. That said, in winter I have all my spares in a cannister on the seat tube, so don't need much pocket space; just for a phone, a couple of 'emergency' gels for longer rides & a gilet if the weather dictates.

It was clean enough that I just brushed the dirt off the back & didn't have to wash it; I'm wondering how careful I'll have to be to maintain the water repellence on the non-windstopper panels that are DWR treated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: