Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Your Kona Picks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Red Bull TV on the Android TV box, but it wasn't a great picture, so stuck to the laptop with various tabs. I did watch the start with the laptop plugged into the TV, which was a better picture than the aforementioned for some reason. But kids were watching the telly until bedtime, so laptop thereafter.

the GPS tracker was good on the run, but a bit fallable on the bike. The leaderboard didn't appear to be working for me. Overall though, I don't think the coverage has really improved.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the swim course was about 200m shorter this year, so it would have been very close with Lange & Crowie's record. I think the buoy anchors have been shifting out over the years, so they reset them for 2017. So I guess the swim was getting slowly further each year; which figures, because Potts in his swimming prime wasn't as fast as this year.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Redbull ap on my phone pinged through to the telly with a Chromecast and it worked very well to be fair. Didn't make up for the awful coverage though!

My view of Sanders was previously clouded by the ST love in, but like jorgan said, i;ve got a lot of time for the bloke now. A very tough competitor. But still really happy to see Lange take the win, lots of doubts as to whether last year was a fluke or not.

All fits nicely, once again, into the "you need a podium to take a win" formula. i don't think anyone can write off a potential Sanders win in the future, though maybe not in the times he seems to be talking about!

Watched an interesting breakdwon from Sebi on FB or somewhere. Can't help but really like that guy as well. A very class act on the field and off in my opinion.

Still very impressed by LC hanging on in for the 2nd spot. Watching the tracker i thought Crowley was going to come through, but think she may have spent a bit too much on the bike sticking to Ryf's behind for so long.

A terribly written, short article did pop on the BBC app for about 6 hours yesterday about the 2 x British podiums. But vanished just as quick. That tells it's own story!
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
We lost audio as well several times; can you imagine this happening in major sports.

You didn't watch the UCI men's road race in Bergen then - TV pictures from the mobile cameras was lost 4km from the finish with one man well up the road and by the time they got to the static cameras at 1km he was nowhere to be seen and they were all together for a bunch sprint Rolling Eyes
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
We lost audio as well several times; can you imagine this happening in major sports.

You didn't watch the UCI men's road race in Bergen then - TV pictures from the mobile cameras was lost 4km from the finish with one man well up the road and by the time they got to the static cameras at 1km he was nowhere to be seen and they were all together for a bunch sprint Rolling Eyes

I said major sports, not a bunch of blokes in lycra. Y'know proper sports (that use balls) like Soccer, NFL, NBA, Golf etc
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of like the homespun amateurism of the coverage.

It's not slick, you get terrible information on splits but it makes it feel, I dunno, a bit more real. To try and understand what's going on you're checking the tracker, ST, twitter and the coverage. Tracking all this info makes the time pass when the race gets dull.

The race is going on as it always has and the coverage is trying to capture what's going on - rather than a lavish production 'designed and made for TV' type spectacle with graphics and slo mo's etc.

Not sure if that makes sense......
snowie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I know the swim course was about 200m shorter this year, so it would have been very close with Lange & Crowie's record. I think the buoy anchors have been shifting out over the years, so they reset them for 2017. So I guess the swim was getting slowly further each year; which figures, because Potts in his swimming prime wasn't as fast as this year.

swim course changed in 2015 or 16 to an out&back before that it was more of a big rectangle.
The_Exile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Oh quote of the night for me, on ST:

"I feel like I'm watching a Cheetah chasing down an injured Bison that's been separated from the herd"

But Sanders has another fan after Saturday.

I preferred “he looks like a monkey f@#£&*g a football” as to descibe his pedal stroke Very Happy

That said, I think he is awesome and am a huge fan. Boring robots make poor viewing, Lionel is ace! I was willing him on to hold off Lange on Saturday night. There is an interview with him from Canadian Triathlon Magazine on facebook that is worth a look, it shows why he has so many fans, he is exactly what this sport needs if it is going to get more mainstream in my opinion.

The tweets about his run “form” from people that hadn’t seen him run before were quite amusing, mostly along the lines of:

Tweet 1 - Sanders is injured he is in lots of pain

Tweet 2 (30 seconds later) - He is dropping Kienle and running 6 minute miles
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="The_Exile"]
Jorgan wrote:

"I feel like I'm watching a Cheetah chasing down an injured Bison that's been separated from the herd"

I preferred “he looks like a monkey f@#£&*g a football” as to descibe his pedal stroke Very Happy

I liked the "journalist" in the women's press conference who had to ask Ryf who was first into T2 before asking his question about her plans to overhaul the leaders. I would have though a requirement of reporting on the race was to watch it.

As for Sanders, If you had no points of reference or timing you'd swear you were watching a MOPer both on the bike and run until you realise how fast he's going. His engine must be huge but I think part of the attraction is "he looks like one of us"
The_Exile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JaRok2300"]
The_Exile wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

I liked the "journalist" in the women's press conference who had to ask Ryf who was first into T2 before asking his question about her plans to overhaul the leaders. I would have though a requirement of reporting on the race was to watch it.

As for Sanders, If you had no points of reference or timing you'd swear you were watching a MOPer both on the bike and run until you realise how fast he's going. His engine must be huge but I think part of the attraction is "he looks like one of us"

The commentator remarked that Rfy “dismounted like a pro” as she dismounted her bike - not sure how they expected someone of her caliber to do it Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Agree on Sanders, I have seen people on Slowtwitch call him “ the ultimate age grouper” - not coached, not a proper swimmer, doesn’t look polished etc, that is part of the appeal.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowie wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

swim course changed in 2015 or 16 to an out&back before that it was more of a big rectangle.

The legitimacy of the course record was debated on ST quite a lot, with certain people saying the same about the shortened swim. But then someone else said they realised the old run course was about 0.3 miles short, and the turnaround point at the Energy Lab was moved further up the road to make it a full 26.2 miles, so whilst the swim has been shortened, the run has been lengthened. Apparently.

Last edited by stenard on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

indeed...i had been glued to that and was mightily disappointed that at the critical moment...good race though, fab location too...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
PCP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coverage baffled me when they got Heather Jackson's position wrong.

I'd flicked over to during one of the many ad breaks and when I went back it had HJ on screen and the caption said '3rd female' and I assumed she'd re-caught Crowley and gone past her but the commentary said she was still behind Crowley.
Obviously this made me think that Lucy had pulled out seeing as the top 3 were now Ryf, Crowley, Jackson so I re-wound it 5 minutes to see when LC pulled and watched it all the way to the bit with the caption of HJ - 3rd female.

It was at that point I realised the caption was wrong and I'd wasted 5 minute of my life.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
"he looks like one of us"

I sincerely hope my run doesn't look like that.
Mungo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan
With that speed would you really care?

I honestly thought he was injured....?!
He really did seem to be dragging one leg?
He's hardly Smooth on the bike either... but superb athlete for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: