Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Bala bites the dust.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoTriBri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Bala bites the dust. Reply with quote

Shocking news that it looks like there will be no triathlons at Bala next year. Numbers have been dropping and they are no longer viable.
Used to love racing there. The old Olympic course was a good test with a nasty hilly run, had some fantastic races on that course. Never raced the new course.
The middle distance race was epic. Still preferred the original loop for the bike course, but the out and back bike route was quite a tester. That run was just cruel. Raced it 10 times, sometimes got baked but also finished the hypothermia race.
Hopefully they will be resurrected at some future point.

Y Fenni Tri Club Abergavenny.
PCP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really sad news. It was my first ever Middle and I planned on going back next year.
JeffB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame that, always hoped to do the middle distance one but it often clashed, maybe someone else will take them up at some point.

Race saturation must be peaking these days and the IM brand is taking a lot of numbers with their 4 70.3's (inc Dublin), even though they dropped Wimbleball.

Jeff
hammerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just shows that the sport has changed. The new kids and one and dones aren't interested in challenging events. It must have a brand and has either got to be a flat draftfest or something you can brag about on social media. The independents are slowly losing out and we'll be left with 250 half's full of the sort of people on the ironman journey group with their tattoos and complaints about the race goody bags. There was even complaints about the organisation of the New Forest Middle on there this year, and for me RNF are about the best organisation out there.
stenard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
There was even complaints about the organisation of the New Forest Middle on there this year, and for me RNF are about the best organisation out there.
General organisation was good, but the shambles with the swim was a real let down. It sadly did make a bit of mockery of the race
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done mostly club or smaller race orginsers races this year, they can be a bit rough round the edges but I think personally prefer them, they tend to be a bit less serious.

They are starting to be a dying breed though.

Jeff
newarktricky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bala bites the dust. Reply with quote

NoTriBri wrote:
but also finished the hypothermia race.

2011? My only Bala Middle, winter bike jacket saved my race but only got feeling back in my toes at the turnaround point on the run!!

Epic race though

NT Very Happy Very Happy
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
hammerer wrote:
There was even complaints about the organisation of the New Forest Middle on there this year, and for me RNF are about the best organisation out there.
General organisation was good, but the shambles with the swim was a real let down. It sadly did make a bit of mockery of the race

yes Id heard the lead canoeist led some the wrong way. shame but I also hear Richard was distraught watching from the sidelines when it happened. I can forgive stuff like that as a one off, especially when its less than half the price of a branded event and some of those can be just as much of a shambles. Problem is many of the newcomers expect mdot prices and mdot organisation and its only going to make it a real rich persons sport, more so than now.
Muriel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bala standard was the 2nd triathlon I ever did (Llanelli the 1st). I was in that I love this sport phase before I became a bit of a bell end and took it too seriously (whilst still being $hit).

I'm back in the I love this sport phase now and do nothing but look for the smaller races for sprints and Oly's. The bang for your buck is quite unbelievable.

In fact the drive to Bala from South Wales made it worth entering. And camping out to a sky like that. Something you don't see unless you're in a pigging desert right.

A real shame.

Not quite the same, but I think the Bodiam castle tri fell by the wayside this year. Not because of numbers but because of the national trust. 45 to swim round the moat of a castle, a buggery of a bike course and a great off road (but flat) run too.
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very sad turn of events for an absolute amazing race.

I've done the middle 3 times over the last 10 years, and each time the field has gotten smaller. I agree that it's the cooperate events taking over, which is a shame. I had half thought about doing it next year but alas it's not to be.

Hopefully it will come back at some point, but thanks to Wrexham tri for putting in on all theses years.

So many races so little time.
Jan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a shame as it is a super event. I had also planned to do it next year. The best events are those organised by local clubs or smaller organisations. Deva is another brilliant one - lets hope that one doesn't disappear in the future.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
stenard wrote:
hammerer wrote:

yes Id heard the lead canoeist led some the wrong way. shame but I also hear Richard was distraught watching from the sidelines when it happened. I can forgive stuff like that as a one off, especially when its less than half the price of a branded event and some of those can be just as much of a shambles. Problem is many of the newcomers expect mdot prices and mdot organisation and its only going to make it a real rich persons sport, more so than now.

Yeah, it was all a bit strange. We had loads down there doing relays and our guys were the lead swimmers, knew the course, and were trying to swim the right route, but were blocked from doing so. Even a speedboat zoomed over to them and made them swim short. That wouldnt have been so bad if everyone did it, but sadly it ended up with different pockets of swimmers all doing totally different routes. I think from the lake side, it looked as if there were about three or four different distances swam by different groups of swimmers.

As you say, the organisers and the BTF RO were both pretty stressed out about it, but had very little they could do at that point. Other than that though, the rest of the race was all really good.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
hammerer wrote:
stenard wrote:
hammerer wrote:

Yeah, it was all a bit strange. We had loads down there doing relays and our guys were the lead swimmers, knew the course, and were trying to swim the right route, but were blocked from doing so. Even a speedboat zoomed over to them and made them swim short. That wouldnt have been so bad if everyone did it, but sadly it ended up with different pockets of swimmers all doing totally different routes. I think from the lake side, it looked as if there were about three or four different distances swam by different groups of swimmers.

As you say, the organisers and the BTF RO were both pretty stressed out about it, but had very little they could do at that point. Other than that though, the rest of the race was all really good.

ouch!!! that's a shame...do they not have a swim director?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
The independents are slowly losing out and we'll be left with 250 half's full of the sort of people on the ironman journey group with their tattoos and complaints about the race goody bags.

That's rich; I get notifications every time you post on the IMJ group Wink I haven't been on there for ages, because as you say, it's full of self aggrandising muppets going on about their tattoos, and massively over using words like epic & legend.
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
hammerer wrote:
The independents are slowly losing out and we'll be left with 250 half's full of the sort of people on the ironman journey group with their tattoos and complaints about the race goody bags.

That's rich; I get notifications every time you post on the IMJ group Wink I haven't been on there for ages, because as you say, it's full of self aggrandising muppets going on about their tattoos, and massively over using words like epic & legend.

Laughing I feel its my duty to try and educate these people. Im failing though.

Sums up my old club as well now The club "half" champs might be IM Barca 70.3 next year. What a crock of shit. It used to be local races with guaranteed spots, not a 1500 trip to the arse end of Europe. Surprised the Sprint champs arent in a Teeeeeem GeeeeeeBeeeeee kit at "The Worlds".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: