Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IM Nirvana Accomodation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mortirolo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: IM Nirvana Accomodation Reply with quote

Is there any bonus using official IM company Nirvana for accommodation at IM events? If I go directly to the hotel I can save 45 a night looking at one hotel. Nirvana provide:

breakfast (I can do that myself as self catering rooms)
IM weather updates (anyone can get that with an app)
Trackpump (I'll bring my own)
they don't provide transport from/to airport for accomodation
mechanics and masseurs (they are at the event anyway)
bike storage in room (well I'll just take it to the room)

Why pay 200 for track pumps, weather updates, water temperatures, mechanics, unless I'm missing something?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: IM Nirvana Accomodation Reply with quote

I think most people that use Nirvana, are either tied-in becuase they bought a race slot through them, or they are the only convenient accommodation left for later bookers.
moonmonkey02

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: IM Nirvana Accomodation Reply with quote

mortirolo wrote:
Is there any bonus using official IM company Nirvana for accommodation at IM events? If I go directly to the hotel I can save 45 a night looking at one hotel. Nirvana provide:

Why pay 200 for track pumps, weather updates, water temperatures, mechanics, unless I'm missing something?

I did the same exercise as you for a recent event and came to the same conclusion: nirvana customers have more money than sense or its a last minute desperation purchase.
mortirolo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: IM Nirvana Accomodation Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I think most people that use Nirvana, are either tied-in becuase they bought a race slot through them, or they are the only convenient accommodation left for later bookers.

ok, that would make sense, cheers
doug

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some races (like IM Kalmar) Nirvana block book all the hotels in town, so if you want to stay in town you basically have to book with them.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the location is a logistical challenge, then booking through nirvana passes that load to them...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doug wrote:
For some races (like IM Kalmar) Nirvana block book all the hotels in town, so if you want to stay in town you basically have to book with them.

That doesnt surprise me. When it came to deciding between Kalmar and Copenhagen, the accommodation challenge in Kalmar (and the general travel) was what swung it.

In Copenhagen, I've been able to independently book the Nirvana HQ hotel for significantly cheaper as the OP mentions. Plus get cashback through one of the booking sites (topcashback), and not have to pay a penny until check-in (also fully cancellable up until a couple of days before).
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

In Copenhagen, I've been able to independently book the Nirvana HQ hotel for significantly cheaper as the OP mentions. Plus get cashback through one of the booking sites (topcashback), and not have to pay a penny until check-in (also fully cancellable up until a couple of days before).

It's nuggets like this that make Forums useful Smile On IMJ they're too busy using superlatives.
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are no different to a 7Eleven I guess. Convenient if you're busy ( or they've locked the town ou) but convenience costs.

No experience of Nirvana but I've done some events and camps where everything was taken care of for a rather high 'set and forget' price and I've done where I've done the donkey work and saved some money.

I use either approach depending on whatever happens to be going on my life at that point.
hammerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used them nearly 8 years ago, just the once. Airport transfers were included but we nearly missed flight home as they misjudged time going to 3 hotels and loading everyone on. Bike course tour was good, and so were bus transfers to and from race site all weekend. Would only use them again if I needed a race entry.
leahnp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can be useful when things go wrong, my bike didn't make it to Munich one year for Challenge Walschee and for IM Austria my wife's flight was delayed until the early hours. In both cases they were there to help as they had a prepaid/hired taxi waiting for my wife and a 2 hour transfer for her and ran me to Munich and back a few times to get my bike sorted with KLM.
They are expensive but when it goes wrong then they have been there to make sure I can race.
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
doug wrote:

That doesnt surprise me. When it came to deciding between Kalmar and Copenhagen, the accommodation challenge in Kalmar (and the general travel) was what swung it.

Interesting!

Helpful to know!
SwimsLikeAWalrus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: IM Nirvana Accomodation Reply with quote

mortirolo wrote:

I had a Nirvana race entry and managed to glean that you can use the slot and write off the money, booking yourself if you so chose.

I had airport transfers which you can use from your deposit so that takes and 'wastage' down too!

Race Force are definitely an option worth exploring. I had thought they were just a bike transport company but they are so much more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: