Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
How do you get to Vichy..??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiphophopper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: How do you get to Vichy..?? Reply with quote

I'm looking at this as an option for 2019...it looks like a PITA to get to frpm London unless you drive.

Any advice..?

It looks like a nice race to get myself back into long course with, but I'll pick another if its too awkward..!
awildt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive.

Failing that, fly to Lyon, Saint-Etienne or Limoges and drive.

Or fly to Paris and drive.

Or fly to Paris and catch a TGV to any of the above and drive.

Basically it's a French tri for French people who drive. So drive. It's a really easy drive to do. It'll end up costing the same as it's mostly Ryanair that flies to those airports so you'll pay the earth for your bike to go with (and they'll break it).
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about Vichy. When I looked into it the easiest seemed to be fly to Clemond-Ferrand, hire car from there. Get your bike shipped with ShipMyTriBike or similar.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you get to Vichy..?? Reply with quote

Hiphophopper wrote:
I'm looking at this as an option for 2019...it looks like a PITA to get to frpm London unless you drive.

Any advice..?

It looks like a nice race to get myself back into long course with, but I'll pick another if its too awkward..!

Flying to Lyon is not a problem
GrahamO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collaborate with a German colleague and wonder why forever more you're viewed as a traitorous duplicitous individual ?

Sorry, for the young folks out there, it makes sense.
davidwilcock

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely drive. Its a nice drive apart from the bit of road around Paris. The roads are pretty clear. The only downside is the mystery toll you have to pay at the end of each stretch of motorway
CrazyGirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan air stansted to limoges and then about 3 hours drive max.

Limoges airport is as big as a shed. Hire car 50m from airport and then straight onto main road onto motorway.

Book hire car early as they triple in price for holidays. Avoid thrifty/hertz as their queue is horrendous.
duckhen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidwilcock wrote:
Definitely drive. Its a nice drive apart from the bit of road around Paris. The roads are pretty clear. The only downside is the mystery toll you have to pay at the end of each stretch of motorway

Get a Dibber from sanef itís a little box you stick to the windscreen and the toll barriers sense the device and yippee through you go all super fast except toll fees come out of bank account
Hiphophopper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers..I like the look of the race, and would be happy to drive, but wife & parents like to come for some reason (I cant think of any thing more dull than watching an Ironman..!) I prefer to arrive a few days early, but this doesn't work for them, so it's a bit of a faff.

I'm going to try to talk them out of coming if I can.! - Or pick a different race.
CrazyGirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckhen wrote:
davidwilcock wrote:

Get a Dibber from sanef itís a little box you stick to the windscreen and the toll barriers sense the device and yippee through you go all super fast except toll fees come out of bank account

I wouldn't it will cost Ä46 and if you have someone in the car with you it is easy to pay the toll. You pay the same price for the toll as well.

If you do drive and end up going anywhere near Paris you will need the new efficiency sticker. Costs about Ä4.
awildt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyGirl wrote:
duckhen wrote:
davidwilcock wrote:

I wouldn't it will cost Ä46 and if you have someone in the car with you it is easy to pay the toll. You pay the same price for the toll as well.

If you do drive and end up going anywhere near Paris you will need the new efficiency sticker. Costs about Ä4.

Never mind the monthly (or annual) admin fee required.

Use a credit card. It's just a swipe of your card. Simple.

Not sure about "mystery" - all autoroutes in France are tolled. Some small sections are city bypasses and therefore not tolled for passing motorists but are part of local taxes. Otherwise - if you're on an autoroute, you'll pay something.
Muriel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do drive. And if I were you I would... save yourself a lot of time and stress and don't go near Paris.

Head towards Rouen, and then stay the night at Chartres. What a blooming nice place that is. All be it at 42 degrees C at 18:09 the year I went (2016). Anyway, splits the drive up nicely. I then drove straight to registration a couple of days before. Rode a bit, realised it was the hottest place I'd been since Uluru and then went and found Air Conditioning.

Have a good time.
Hiphophopper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muriel wrote:
If you do drive. And if I were you I would... save yourself a lot of time and stress and don't go near Paris.

Head towards Rouen, and then stay the night at Chartres. What a blooming nice place that is. All be it at 42 degrees C at 18:09 the year I went (2016). Anyway, splits the drive up nicely. I then drove straight to registration a couple of days before. Rode a bit, realised it was the hottest place I'd been since Uluru and then went and found Air Conditioning.

Have a good time.

Good plan...It's a good mid way point and a nice place. I did a road race very near there a few years back when I was younger and faster.!
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you get to Vichy..?? Reply with quote

Hiphophopper wrote:

Any advice..?

Swim the channel, bike to Moulliers then run along the banks of l'Alliers?
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: