Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wahoo kickr problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nannysooz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Wahoo kickr problems Reply with quote

Oh dear...shouldn't be allowed to sell to a numpty like me. Such a struggle to get set up. BUT finally there. New 10 speed cassette, Apple TV and Sufferfest and Zwift all safely installed. but when i just pedal the resistance is crazy...can't turn the pedals round. It's better when on Zwift. I don't understand the whole concept of this turbo and if it doesn't sort out soon it"s going back !!! Please can anyone help??
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Wahoo kickr problems Reply with quote

nannysooz wrote:
Oh dear...shouldn't be allowed to sell to a numpty like me. Such a struggle to get set up. BUT finally there. New 10 speed cassette, Apple TV and Sufferfest and Zwift all safely installed. but when i just pedal the resistance is crazy...can't turn the pedals round. It's better when on Zwift. I don't understand the whole concept of this turbo and if it doesn't sort out soon it"s going back !!! Please can anyone help??

First thing is make sure the firmware is up to date. There should be a simple way to do this via the Wahoo app. Also one of the issues with Kickr is having to do a spindown before every ride. Have you done that? Then check does the trainer feel hard to pedal when using the Kickr app or just riding the trainer with no other software?

After this in each program you can change settings also.

In sufferfest adjust your FTP down lower as this will affect the resistance in erg mode as the videos will be forcing you to do a certain power and the trainer alters resistance to make you hit this, Kickr especially can get stuck in an eternal loop of upping resistance until its so tough you cant pedal.

In Zwift there is a realism setting for hills, ie if its 7%, then this slider bar at 100% will mean its actually 7%. change this down to half way so the hills effects are reduced or even turn it off so you dotn get any changes in resistance for hills.
nannysooz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Hammerer for replying. I didn't know that a spin down must be done before each ride. Also, what is ERG mode? Does this turbo only operate through an app?...I don't understand the fundamental technology enough...ie bluetooth. I have tried Zwift...seems OK and just about to try Sufferfest.
Also there's still a fair amount of rattle with the chain. I have replaced the 11 speed cassette with a 10 speed and it's much improved but not perfect. Any ideas on this. Whole experience so far is STRESS.
duckhen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a techno numpty and it took me ages to get a Kickr set up and running. Initially I used TrainerRoad. I needed an Ant + usb thingy to get my laptop (which needs good graphics to run Zwift) so that all devices could 'talk' to each other.

ERG mode makes you pedal at a required Wattage so if you pedal slow its HARD. Pedal fast its less resistance

Tranier Road IIRC has a spindown tab somewhere on the screen or I use the app on my phone (Wahoo) to perform spindown and then use laptop. I dont spindown every ride.

I find the set up really good but was initially frustrating because there are a few things I didnt know about...

Good Luck
chunkytfg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can't just pedal on it. You need to connect to something to control it. A Cycle computer like a Garmin or Wahoo element will do. from there you can control resistance.

Oly PB=2.47.01 @18.5stone!

Will hopefully one day make 'race weight' !!
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chunkytfg wrote:
you can't just pedal on it. You need to connect to something to control it. A Cycle computer like a Garmin or Wahoo element will do. from there you can control resistance.

Or even just a phone with Ant+ (my Galaxy S6 has it built in) and the Wahoo fitness app.
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wahoo kickr problems Reply with quote

nannysooz wrote:

I've found in ERG mode if I stop pedalling I have to do something similar to a track start to get it going again. It's due to the way it changes the resistance compared to the cadence. In slope mode or normal it shouldn't be such a problem.
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nannysooz wrote:
Thank you Hammerer for replying. I didn't know that a spin down must be done before each ride. Also, what is ERG mode? Does this turbo only operate through an app?...I don't understand the fundamental technology enough...ie bluetooth. I have tried Zwift...seems OK and just about to try Sufferfest.
Also there's still a fair amount of rattle with the chain. I have replaced the 11 speed cassette with a 10 speed and it's much improved but not perfect. Any ideas on this. Whole experience so far is STRESS.

hopefully the others have answered enough, but with chain rattle, i had similar issues with my Neo to start and it appears that a 105 cassette needed an extra spacer over an ultegra. I know meant to be shimano and compatible with each other and no one says this but i found it on facebook neo groups (similar will exist for wahoo). are all the correct spacers on . for 10 speed id expect at least 1 and then you may need to re index the bike gears. I do on my neo between wheel and neo.

and yes they can be a faff to set up at the start but its worth persevering. even take to the LBS for a quick look over to save your stress levels?
Homer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Wahoo kickr problems Reply with quote

nannysooz wrote:

I feel your pain. I have TACX Flux though. I have to control the resistance with my gears as the TACX app just doesn't work. I cannot adjust the resistance using the app on my phone, and the go button just doesn't work either. I can see the power etc on the garmin which matches the readings on the app, just the start and resistance buttons don't work. USELESS. All this Smart technology isn't compatible with a numpty like me either.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nannysooz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys...it seems I'm not the only one...numpty that is...I foolishly thought the more expensive the turbo the easier it will be to use. HA!
Your comments are much appreciated but still somewhat over my head. perhaps if you imagine you're dealing with a 5 year old then maybe I'll get it. Very Happy Going to struggle on.
nannysooz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chunkytfg wrote:

This is a revelation...why does Wahoo not explain this? Do I really need to buy more to get the d*** thing to work?. What is the Wahoo element?
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nannysooz wrote:
chunkytfg wrote:

This is a revelation...why does Wahoo not explain this? Do I really need to buy more to get the d*** thing to work?. What is the Wahoo element?

Do you have a phone, PC, bike headunit with ANT+? They can all control it.

I'd recommend sticking the thing in front of your computer, get an ANT+ USB thingy, extension lead to get it near the Kickr and download TrainerRoad. Then get someone to help you setup TrainerRoad. I've added some links in below.

Alternatively, if you have an iPad it should be even easier.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-PerfPRO-CycleOps-Virtual-TrainerRoad-Black/dp/B01N2S103O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508340597&sr=8-2&keywords=ant+dongle

https://www.amazon.co.uk/2m-USB-2-0-Extension-Cable-BLACK/dp/B005ZPHT86/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1508340635&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+extension+2m
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nannysooz wrote:
I foolishly thought the more expensive the turbo the easier it will be to use. HA!

I guess that is the issue. The higher cost is because it has more features, but those features will inevitably require some "figuring out" to use.

If you want something to simply stick the bike on and then ride, a dumb trainer would be much easier. And then you just use your gears to adjust resistance.

This might be overload, but have you read the DCR in-depth review? I imagine you have the updated KICKR, but his review of the original goes into a lot of detail about setting it up, and connecting with your phone etc? It might give you something to follow step by step?
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/03/fitness-trainer-review.html
chickenboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help, a vlog from my pal Dan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrlL7yEH2-g

https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/204281764-What-are-the-different-modes-of-the-Wahoo-Smart-Trainers-

Erg mode is essentially the only mode you will probably use as its the unique feature of smart trainers i.e will automatically make it easier or harder to push the pedals depending on what you have synced it to> i use traineroad and occasionally zwift.Stick with it, its a great piece of kit once your 'there'
nannysooz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys...slowly getting there. I need to re index the gears. If I change them to match the cassette on the kickr will I need to reset again when I reattach the back wheel and take the bike out on the road?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: