Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New Sufferfest feature gets Coggan annoyed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: New Sufferfest feature gets Coggan annoyed Reply with quote

Saw this article about the way that Sufferfest will be testing power and adapting the levels based on more metrics that just FTP. Read down to the comments where Coggan is being his usual self.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/ftp-is-dead-the-sufferfest-launches-4dp-training-51020/

Might go back to Suff this winter if it's any good.
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He cracks me up.
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hardly new news. Power curves, data points have been around forever. Sufferfest though are now amending the power targets based on your individual curve rather than just your ftp. So if Im doing vo2 intervals they will use my 5min power figure, not 110-120% FTP. Its also now suggesting videos to improve certain aspects of your cycling. Im not sure SF are claiming to reinvent anything, they are just changing the app to be even more personalised.

Must read Coggan's comments. hes hilarious when he gets going
blindcider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Its hardly new news. Power curves, data points have been around forever. Sufferfest though are now amending the power targets based on your individual curve rather than just your ftp. So if Im doing vo2 intervals they will use my 5min power figure, not 110-120% FTP. Its also now suggesting videos to improve certain aspects of your cycling. Im not sure SF are claiming to reinvent anything, they are just changing the app to be even more personalised.

Tom A on disc brakes keeps me going back to ST
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coggan has really gone to work on Slowtwitch Laughing

Coggan wrote:
just realize that you are as culpable of supporting unscrupulous behavior as someone who pays to watch a Harvey Weinstein movie

explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:

any coach of any consequence would have been planning that anyway...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Buzz_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
hammerer wrote:

But not many coaches charge $10/month.

Seems to be a lot of noise created for what is basically a refinement to the current indoor training app market. Sufferfest are highlighting a difference between them and most other players, they don't claim to replace a coach. The goal must be that these apps and associated gadgets can do all the number crunching for a coach/athlete, leaving the coach free to concentrate on the other aspects.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
hammerer wrote:

But not many coaches charge $10/month.

Seems to be a lot of noise created for what is basically a refinement to the current indoor training app market. Sufferfest are highlighting a difference between them and most other players, they don't claim to replace a coach. The goal must be that these apps and associated gadgets can do all the number crunching for a coach/athlete, leaving the coach free to concentrate on the other aspects.

no, indeed, but as we continue through your post we see that perhaps a coach is required also...

that said, it is progress...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
hammerer wrote:

A coach would definitely but these aren't a coach. I think part of coggans displeasure is just that and that he feels SF are claiming to reinvent the wheel but it's just what he wrote 15 years ago.
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
hammerer wrote:

A coach would definitely but these aren't a coach. I think part of coggans displeasure is just that and that he feels SF are claiming to reinvent the wheel but it's just what he wrote 15 years ago.

I didn't read it like that. They said they created a new (used one developed by that bloke they keep referring to) testing protocol and developed their app to apply it to their videos/power targets, that is the new stuff.
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made it about half way through and started looking for knitting needles Wink
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:

Twitch in all its glory. Is comparing someone to a serial sex offender the new Godwin's law
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
FatPom wrote:

Twitch in all its glory. Is comparing someone to a serial sex offender the new Godwin's law

Hehe, all we need now is waterboy to ask if this will help with his crank length decision and we have a perfect storm Wink
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New Sufferfest feature gets Coggan annoyed Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
Saw this article about the way that Sufferfest will be testing power and adapting the levels based on more metrics that just FTP. Read down to the comments where Coggan is being his usual self.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/ftp-is-dead-the-sufferfest-launches-4dp-training-51020/

Thanks, made me chuckle.

People find thinking so hard it's like shooting fish in a barrel for him.

Sadly, I expect most people walk away from that thread thinking he's wrong.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
FatPom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Sufferfest feature gets Coggan annoyed Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Jgav wrote:

Thanks, made me chuckle.

People find thinking so hard it's like shooting fish in a barrel for him.

Sadly, I expect most people walk away from that thread thinking he's wrong.

No, I think most people will walk away not caring if he's right or wrong but with overwhelming impression that he's a whiny little douche with anger issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: