Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
New Sufferfest feature gets Coggan annoyed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New Sufferfest feature gets Coggan annoyed Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
Jgav wrote:
Saw this article about the way that Sufferfest will be testing power and adapting the levels based on more metrics that just FTP. Read down to the comments where Coggan is being his usual self.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/ftp-is-dead-the-sufferfest-launches-4dp-training-51020/

Might go back to Suff this winter if it's any good.

Thanks, made me chuckle.

People find thinking so hard it's like shooting fish in a barrel for him.

Sadly, I expect most people walk away from that thread thinking he's wrong.

No, I think most people will walk away not caring if he's right or wrong but with overwhelming impression that he's a whiny little douche with anger issues.

Wait, so people get the facts from an internet comments section?!?! That's a first.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Sufferfest feature gets Coggan annoyed Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
Jgav wrote:
Saw this article about the way that Sufferfest will be testing power and adapting the levels based on more metrics that just FTP. Read down to the comments where Coggan is being his usual self.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/ftp-is-dead-the-sufferfest-launches-4dp-training-51020/

Thanks, made me chuckle.

No, I think most people will walk away not caring if he's right or wrong but with overwhelming impression that he's a whiny little douche with anger issues.

Wait, so people get the facts from an internet comments section?!?! That's a first.

People on the whole don't really care about facts or reality, they just care about being liked.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
hammerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New Sufferfest feature gets Coggan annoyed Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
Jgav wrote:

Thanks, made me chuckle.

Have you seen the slowtwitch thread? I think Coggan has lost all credibility whether he's right or wrong
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: New Sufferfest feature gets Coggan annoyed Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
Jgav wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
Jgav wrote:

Thanks, made me chuckle.

Have you seen the slowtwitch thread? I think Coggan has lost all credibility whether he's right or wrong

Exactly.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Sufferfest feature gets Coggan annoyed Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
hammerer wrote:
Jgav wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
Jgav wrote:

Thanks, made me chuckle.

Exactly.

i couldn't get beyond the lifejustice thread that jut had me in stitches...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Pedro Peru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Sufferfest feature gets Coggan annoyed Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Jgav wrote:

Thanks, made me chuckle.

Having read that, he is wrong. He might be correct about the 4DP stuff but to bring Havey Weinstein into it is outragous. Normally he's quite amusing but that really isn't.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I did the test last night. Or should I say I failed to do the test. Way to optimistic for the 5min and died a death - which skewed that result so much the app thinks I'm some kind of genetic freak and told me it had artificially increased my 5min power to put me back into the human population. Not pacing the 5min probably meant I was not properly fatigued for the 20min so the whole thing is probably up the left.

But it will be interesting how it affects the workouts from here. While the numbers might be wrong, the general assumption that my 20min power is relatively high compared to my 5min, 1min and certainly 5sec is no surprise. Under the standard FTP assumption I cannot complete the speed based workouts at 100%, and I never hit the 'sprint' power numbers. So I will play with Sufferfest until Christmas and decide in the new year whether to return to TrainerRoad.
Cat5 in the Hat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
hammerer wrote:
Its hardly new news. Power curves, data points have been around forever. Sufferfest though are now amending the power targets based on your individual curve rather than just your ftp. So if Im doing vo2 intervals they will use my 5min power figure, not 110-120% FTP. Its also now suggesting videos to improve certain aspects of your cycling. Im not sure SF are claiming to reinvent anything, they are just changing the app to be even more personalised.

Must read Coggan's comments. hes hilarious when he gets going

any coach of any consequence would have been planning that anyway...

A coach would definitely but these aren't a coach. I think part of coggans displeasure is just that and that he feels SF are claiming to reinvent the wheel but it's just what he wrote 15 years ago.

It's no difference to what WKO4 has been offering.

I like the way that TP's statement confirms what FatPom wrote on page 1 Very Happy
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat5 in the Hat wrote:
hammerer wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
hammerer wrote:
Its hardly new news. Power curves, data points have been around forever. Sufferfest though are now amending the power targets based on your individual curve rather than just your ftp. So if Im doing vo2 intervals they will use my 5min power figure, not 110-120% FTP. Its also now suggesting videos to improve certain aspects of your cycling. Im not sure SF are claiming to reinvent anything, they are just changing the app to be even more personalised.

Must read Coggan's comments. hes hilarious when he gets going

any coach of any consequence would have been planning that anyway...

A coach would definitely but these aren't a coach. I think part of coggans displeasure is just that and that he feels SF are claiming to reinvent the wheel but it's just what he wrote 15 years ago.

It's no difference to what WKO4 has been offering.

I like the way that TP's statement confirms what FatPom wrote on page 1 Very Happy

yep but WK04 doesnt offer fun videos and training plans to follow. Its analysis software, not something to take the boredom away from a turbo session. All Sufferfest have done is amend the way their targets are calculated from the conventional (ie Trainerroad) style of %FTP based. I cant get way there was such a big deal made about it.

Laughing It certainly does, but in a more professional way
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Coggan doesn't realise is just how much attention his outbursts have actually brought to this, I certainly would have paid little attention to it all without his ranting and raving.

Sufferfest must be laughing all the way to the bank Laughing He has given them some fantastic marketing Laughing Poor chap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: