Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Zwift or Bkool

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Zwift or Bkool
Zwift
80%
 80%  [ 8 ]
Bkool
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

dpford

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Zwift or Bkool Reply with quote

I'm looking at using either Zwift or Bkool for training. What's the general concensus out there?

Thanks in advance

Darren
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the vote will end up being the answer to the question "What do you use?" rather than a consensus on what's the best as only you know what you want from it.

I use Bkool as I'm not bothered by the arcade game type competitive environment on Zwift and prefer the greater variety of routes available on Bkool. I also use Velo Reality for structured sessions similar to Trainer Road.

There has been some cross-over recently and both platforms are not as distinct as they once were with Bkool having FTP based interval workouts for example.

Ps. You can use Bkool for free if you're not concerned about seeing the video of the route you're riding, you still get the trainer control and metrics on screen just no pictures. That's what I use and I haven't missed the videos since my subscription ran out. Velo reality is also free if you only use the structured workouts you build yourself. (Golden Cheetah also does this) Worth a look if cost is a factor, particularly if you want features from multiple platforms.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still need to get a smart trainer, at some point.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I still need to get a smart trainer, at some point.

Why? I'm yet to be sold on the benefits over a dumb trainer. On my dumb trainer I control the power by how hard I pedal, kind of like outdoors. If I understand smart trainers correctly I have to pedal as hard as the trainer / app dictates, kind of like a running treadmill. A subtle difference maybe, but I rate the added discipline of generating the power rather than just following.

--
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're referring to is Erg mode where you just pedal in any gear and cadence and the trainer looks after everything else. There is also slope mode where you set the gradient and it's up to you how hard you pedal.
I use those with a mixture of real life routes where you have to use your gears and change the effort level just like you would outside.
I find the combination of the modes gives some variety which makes it slightly less dull than it would otherwise be but I'd still rather be outside whenever possible.
I bought my trainer before I got a power meter, if it had been the other way round I might not have been so fussed about the smart trainer as most features could be replicated with resistance and power.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ps. I also have some progressive resistance rollers which I have done the odd Golden Cheetah interval session on using the power meter.

What with trying to hold a certain power (keeping the line on the graph) and staying upright my brain was fried before my legs. It was a great workout and something I should do more of as I'm sure there were many additional benefits.
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a PM with KK road and it was good for Sufferfest but eventually bought a Neo. On Zwift it's an extra dimension and the road feel might be a gimmick but it's a fun gimmick when going over cobbles or the wooden bridges and gravel roads. The Tacx videos are also good with the slope mode, although tacx now have an app in beta also that destroys TTS4 .
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been brave enough to try rollers. With my late night training in the garage I would be worried I could lay undiscovered for hours!

I can see how 'real road feel' could be a fun gimmick. I gave up on Zwift as on a dumb trainer it is just that - dumb. And doing sessions was easier on TrainerRoad. I enjoy Sufferfest for the variety, it's not not just straight 2x20min or 5x5min sessions - mind you on a smart trainer it would be nearly impossible to get a rhythm going on some of the videos.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would vote for Option 3 which you have neglected to add which is 'go out and cycle on a bike'.
hammerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
I haven't been brave enough to try rollers. With my late night training in the garage I would be worried I could lay undiscovered for hours!

I can see how 'real road feel' could be a fun gimmick. I gave up on Zwift as on a dumb trainer it is just that - dumb. And doing sessions was easier on TrainerRoad. I enjoy Sufferfest for the variety, it's not not just straight 2x20min or 5x5min sessions - mind you on a smart trainer it would be nearly impossible to get a rhythm going on some of the videos.

I ride rollers a lot as I ride track so warm ups are always on them. I grew up on them and still crashed in my garage last year. Not as embarrassing as the ex pro, masters scratch world champ that came off track centre at an SQT last year wearing his blue rainbow Jersey. The photo is still doing the rounds.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who loathes the trainer and all that interval stuff I do, what's the best app to get me enjoying it a bit more? Was looking at smart trainers on ebay, loads of Tacx Vortex and a few Bkool Pro Smart. What are the Bkool trainers like?

Mind you, I do find riding hills outside with a guy who KQ'd in his last two events is quite a beasting. Sometimes the old ways work too.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Bkool and been pretty happy with it. It's given me no trouble over the last 3/4 years other than Golden Cheetah doesn't seem to want to talk to it any more but I think that's GC as it communicates fine with everything else.

The mounting system is a bit different to most as you don't tension the roller against the wheel like most trainers. The frame is hinged so your body weight holds the tyre against the roller. I never stand up on the trainer but I think this does cause issue if you do as it unloads the rear wheel which could slip and screw up the power figures. I think DC rainmaker found this in his test.

People complain about the Bkool software interface but I've never had an issue with it and it has improved over the years. originally you had to schedule a workout on the web site before going into the app but it can all be done in the app now.

If I was starting again and could scrape the pennies together I would try and get a wheel off trainer now but no reason to change anything I have at this time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: