Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Gwen Jorgensen ... Marathonwomen
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Gwen Jorgensen ... Marathonwomen Reply with quote

Fairly surprising announcement that Gwen is ditching tri for marathon running. Seems a big call, particularly given the amount of effort she must've made to get her swimming (and to a lesser extent cycling) up to front pack ITU standard , but fair enough for trying something else. Staying with triathlon would've been a safe option.

https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/elite/gwen-jorgensen-quits-triathlon-marathon

So, who do you think will do better in 2020, Gwen at the Olympic Mara or Talanasky at Kona? Smile
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe this is her warm up before she turns to IM?? get some decent marathon experience under the belt and then switch
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Slowtwitch, she posted a teaser on Instagram suggesting a comeback.

There was apparently lots of product placement for Roka, suggesting a return to triathlon.
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slowtwitch massive seem fairly excited by this.

She's a good runner and a low 2:4x marathon with little training or taper is impressive, but turning that into sub 2:20 to compete with the Africans will be a big ask.

She's also fairly tall and probably has considerable upper body muscle compared to the Africans although some of that might be shiftable.

Fair play to her though, it will be interesting to watch.

I also wondered if she'd fancy long course and might in a few years.

Jeff
Nick Berry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think she may have a shout. Quick google shows ran 32:21 for an open 10km in Sydney in 2014 - US record is 30.22 set in 2008. World record 29.31. It would be nice to think that sacrificing biking and swimming to focus on running might bring her into the same sort of orbit. And something about her physique reminds me of Paula Radcliffe, except with a more developed upper body.

But... have any other elite triathletes gone on to become elite runners? I cannot think of any, Mark Allen gave it a shot as I recall, but did not qualify for US olympic team?

Interesting to watch & good luck to her
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big thing for Gwen will be how her body deals with the increased impact and her resistance to injuries. I wish her the very best, she might be close but I doubt she'll be quite good enough to make the team for Tokyo (I hope she proves me wrong!).
awildt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:

She's also fairly tall and probably has considerable upper body muscle compared to the Africans although some of that might be shiftable.

Jeff

Upper body muscle??? She has nothing on her - she mad Vicki Holland look big. In 2013 when she set up next to my old team at the French Grand Prix, I was concerned for her health. She is honestly one of the skinniest athletes I have ever seen. And that's why she always struggled in cold triathlons. London 2013 was the final in the ITU calendar, she was dicing with Non and the cold got to her.

She'll do well at marathons. How well, I have no idea but it will be fun to watch. Given this weekend's USA success, I think USA athletics must have improved budgets for whatever reason.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awildt wrote:
JeffB wrote:

Jeff

Upper body muscle??? She has nothing on her - she mad Vicki Holland look big. In 2013 when she set up next to my old team at the French Grand Prix, I was concerned for her health. She is honestly one of the skinniest athletes I have ever seen. And that's why she always struggled in cold triathlons. London 2013 was the final in the ITU calendar, she was dicing with Non and the cold got to her.

She'll do well at marathons. How well, I have no idea but it will be fun to watch. Given this weekend's USA success, I think USA athletics must have improved budgets for whatever reason.

I wonder how much budget and opportunity influenced the decision....and also the reduced training time for single sport with child care to consider....

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one hand you have Andrew Talansky wanting to get into Triathlon / IM, primarily because he wants to spend less time training and travelling for an individual sport, on the other hand, Gwen Jorgensen is looking to get out of Triathlon and focus on a single sport in order to spend more time with her family. Is it a case that the grass is greener on the other side, and the reality is that to compete at a world class level in any sport means sacrificing almost everything else, family included?

I know Nick Dempsey, who competed at the Olympics for Windsurfing 3 times (2 Bronze and Silver), even though he lives 2 miles from the training venue, he moved away from home for 9 months and lived at the training venue so that he could focus 100% on training
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sports are different though, for both situations.

For long course tri, you can fundamentally train in a single location and might only race a handful of times a year. For pro cycling, the World Tour teams have compulsory events they need to send a team to most of the year, so a pro rider might be on the road a large part of the year. Especially a domestique, compared to say a Chris Froome who will be held back for specific key events.

On the other hand, with Gwen, the ITU circuit is also a pretty manic affair with races all over the world for a large part of the year. That's a serious amount of travel as well. Again, with marathon training, she might only target a handful of events a year, and much of her training can be localised to one place. She can probably do non-key warm up events in and around her home in the US.

Fundamentally, the ITU circuit and long course tri are very different in terms of travel requirements, so comparing the two situations and saying both people are viewing "triathlon" in different ways is not really comparable.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the 2016 Women's Olympic Champion has been banned for EPO; yet doesn't appear to have lost her Olympic Gold Rolling Eyes In all inevitability she's doped for years. Joke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/41903500
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a pic of Gwen next to the top-ten of most major marathoners and I reckon she can lose close to 10% on unnecessary muscle, paunch etc.
10% off a 2:41 = a 2.25 which at least gets her close to the front. Throw in some more specific training and a few months residence at altitude and that will help too.

Definitely better for family life as can just live in one location, train less and sleep more and just take a few days away to race when required.

The harsh realities of marketing are that USA/Can market-focused sponsors will pay big money for a good-looking home-continent athlete of the target audience ethnicity who is a good prospect in a mass-appeal fashion&fitness sport. Running ticks that box much more than any distance of tri.

Lord Seb is a bit quiet on this 2nd-time offender (Sumgong) and the Kenyan situation in general. 40+ recent offences and counting - they are starting to look worse than the Russians, and don't have as much money to bring to the trough either.

At least this guy seemed to know what was going on in 2016 and was obviously trying to make a citizen's arrest. The other runners had already tripped her up once in the race. Security is going after the wrong person as usual though. Probably G4S Razz
TriSam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Berry wrote:

But... have any other elite triathletes gone on to become elite runners? I cannot think of any, Mark Allen gave it a shot as I recall, but did not qualify for US olympic team?

Matt Sharp from GBR is currently doing this! From Elite Tri to a 2:16 Berlin Marathon and 2nd at the Great South Run
Buzz_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
Lord Seb is a bit quiet on this 2nd-time offender (Sumgong) and the Kenyan situation in general. 40+ recent offences and counting - they are starting to look worse than the Russians, and don't have as much money to bring to the trough either.

There was plenty of innuendo in the Rio Marathon commentary from what I remember. "No-one in the same class", "Has plenty in reserve", "Looks like she could accelerate away at an time".

Good luck to Gwen. It's a risk, she easily earn more in triathlon. It's nice that she is not taking the easy route.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
Tony Stark wrote:

There was plenty of innuendo in the Rio Marathon commentary from what I remember. "No-one in the same class", "Has plenty in reserve", "Looks like she could accelerate away at an time".

Good luck to Gwen. It's a risk, she easily earn more in triathlon. It's nice that she is not taking the easy route.

WTS event winner $18k....nyc marathon winner $100k

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: