Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
All-Season Tyres - anyone any experience?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: All-Season Tyres - anyone any experience? Reply with quote

We're choosing to replace our car (Honda CRV) and one possibility is a small BMW (1 or 2 series).

However, having owned a 520d in the past, I remember what an utter catastrophe it was at the first hint of a snowflake with the rear-wheel drive.

We can't be arsed messing around with winter tyres again, so wondered if anyone had any experience with these 'all season' tyres in the snow with a rear-wheel drive vehicle - do they work well, or not?

Ta.

My 15 minutes of fame
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was working in Bavaria, my work car had all-season tyres, albeit an Astra (FWD). They were fine, although in Germany they tend to be better at clearing roads in the first place! I also just kept the winter tyres on my Legacy when we came back to the UK, so I could get my monies worth; they lasted about 2 years year-round use before I had to put the summer tyres back on!

So personally, I would say you're not really compromising much by using full winter tyres year-round in the UK. Tad more more fuel, bit more wear, but if you put the 3 tyre types on a spectrum, all-season tyres are closer in attributes to their winter cousins, than normal 'summer' tyres. You never really saw all-season tyres in Bavaria, just Winter/Summer.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put on 2xMichelin CrossClimate at 108.00 in January, replacing some extra cheapo winter tyres Id run through a few summers.

Drive to the Alps in february, they were fine but no serious snow to contend with.

Drive around Europe down to Spain in April, pretty hot and ten hours on the road at a time, no complaints.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46

Last edited by Tin Pot on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
fat buddha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run winter tyres on my motorhome all year as we do go skiing with it and in countries like Germany and Austria it's compulsory to have M+S (mud and snow) rated tyres in winter - and they work perfectly well all year round and in hot conditions.

also having owned a Beemer in the past then I'll agree that they hate anything white on the road irrespective of what tyres you have.

an alternative to running winter tyres on a car for UK use is to get some snowsocks which fit quickly and easily over a tyre for occasional snow use - http://www.autosock.co.uk/. I keep a pair in the car and motorhome and have used them so they do work.
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that because most people start on a front-wheel-drive car nowadays, they have no clue how to drive a RWD in bad traction conditions if they eventually get one. Learned tendency is to ease off the power at the wrong part of a bend like they have always done in a FWD and then they end up with no steering.
BMWs/Mercs etc. also suffer in winter if they still have massive fat low-profile tyres on, which most seem to. Large contact patch in summer=good, in winter=bad.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
I am sure that because most people start on a front-wheel-drive car nowadays, they have no clue how to drive a RWD in bad traction conditions if they eventually get one. Learned tendency is to ease off the power at the wrong part of a bend like they have always done in a FWD and then they end up with no steering.
BMWs/Mercs etc. also suffer in winter if they still have massive fat low-profile tyres on, which most seem to. Large contact patch in summer=good, in winter=bad.

yep...as a fan of rwd....although not particularly a fan of beemers...it's about knowing how to drive them..

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Doddsie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very well, but you have to get them off the drive in the first place, which can be a real challenge if it's snowed.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't plan on getting another BMW after our experience with a 5 Series; the thing's a f*ing money pit. Back to Japanese again I think; to complement the trusty Subaru.
Gus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty p*ssed off with my 5-series after its very expensive gearbox failure at 105k miles. Up until then, it had been a fabulous car - except for the rather frequent and expensive services (it turns out they don't lump everything together into one service like most manufacturers, but do it 'component by component' as required, so you spend your life going in and out of the garage).

I love the new 5-series, but SO expensive. We've even pondered the new 420d Gran Coupe (x-drive).... lovely cars, but you do seem to pay an awful lot for the badge.

Incidentally, looks like we're going to lump with a Volvo V40 for my wife - on paper, fantastic performance (D2 up to D4 engines) and very well specified against a BMW (as has always been the case). I've always had good experiences with Volvo's.

My 15 minutes of fame
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about having another diesel engine....

My new route to work (when not riding) involves a lot of driving onto the verges through potholes on what are at best C roads and/or lanes...

Mrs eJC has pretty much stolen my japanese 4wd for her commute and I need to exchange her german sports car for something with at least less harsh suspension, but also slightly less precious...

would probably buy an Evoque except for diesel....or another Allroad (my last car) except for petrol running costs...

Any thoughts?

Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eJC - I think it depends on how you prioritise these:

Badge prestige
Running costs
Reliability
Spec

I'd love a posh Jap motor like a Lexus, but the purchase & particularly the running costs are a barrier; like any premium/luxury car. Despite an 80s childhood, I am starting to put greater stock in Skoda these days, and might be persuaded to get a Superb estate when I've finally had enough of the BMW.

Is it me, or do secondhand cars seem pretty expensive these days? Even a 3yr old Forester is well over 15k, and the new shape Superbs still all over 20k.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

priorities are probably all fairly equal for me:

reliability/running cost/service interval/longevity

comfort/driving enjoyment when opportunity allows/quality of build inside & out/prestige

Yes, we have looked at skoda (rented one last summer and was impressed). Would really like a latest generation engine but don't really want to throw more money at it (we will no doubt take a hit on the posh car). but also know that if I get bored of a car, i will want to change it.

The allroad was excellent apart from the fuel consumption and i don't really want to drag all that empty space around with me when i don't need it.

May consider leasing....tbh, my XV is perfect, but don't want two...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: