Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
No Sh1t sherlock...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Sky have a doping factory like Postal, I suspect not. Did they cheat, probably a little but no more I suspect than other teams. Did they hold themselves to the higher standard that they said they would. Certainly not. I think they operated like most professional sports, in the grey area.

So many races so little time.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
I am still a bit baffled why there is so much outrage about sportsmen/women/teams doing everything they can within the rules to win.

Because it's not actually within the rules, that's the point, it just can't be proven to be against the rules.

But it is, in the TUE example at least. Teams and athletes can apply for TUEs all they want, but if independent medical practitioners don't validate the need, they don't get the TUE.

No, because when you apply, you are stating that you have a medical need, if you do not actually have that medical need but are doing it for performance reasons, that is a violation.

Just like if you use a completely banned substance, but you're never caught, it's a violation.

(and the UCI during this period gave TUE's without independent medical practitioners, but a single person, so I'm not sure where you get the idea that it's validated in any way?)
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A top athlete has a chronic condition that means they're ill enough to need a TUE for a banned substance....then they go and win races. It's an abuse of the system which at the professional level is aided & abetted by doctors & officials.

If you're ill enough to have a genuine medical need for steriods, then arguably you shouldn't be racing.

Last edited by Jorgan on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:

(and the UCI during this period gave TUE's without independent medical practitioners, but a single person, so I'm not sure where you get the idea that it's validated in any way?)

I'm unclear where I got that view from. I've just done a search, and I can't actually find out who's on the UKAD TUE Committee, or the UCI equivalent. I was certain I had read they included qualified medical professionals.

If I am wrong, then maybe that changes things a bit as it does open up potential for abuse of team physicians to fabricate need if there is no independent check the claims are medically logical. But the TUE Committee have ultimate approval of any TUE's granted, so again, if that Committee is not well governed, that's ultimately a governance failure. We wouldnt have a Finance Committee at work to consider particular topics without any qualified accountants on it.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
I am still a bit baffled why there is so much outrage about sportsmen/women/teams doing everything they can within the rules to win.

Because it's not actually within the rules, that's the point, it just can't be proven to be against the rules.

But it is, in the TUE example at least. Teams and athletes can apply for TUEs all they want, but if independent medical practitioners don't validate the need, they don't get the TUE.

independent from whom?

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
jibberjim wrote:

I'm unclear where I got that view from. I've just done a search, and I can't actually find out who's on the UKAD TUE Committee, or the UCI equivalent. I was certain I had read they included qualified medical professionals.

If I am wrong, then maybe that changes things a bit as it does open up potential for abuse of team physicians to fabricate need if there is no independent check the claims are medically logical. But the TUE Committee have ultimate approval of any TUE's granted, so again, if that Committee is not well governed, that's ultimately a governance failure. We wouldnt have a Finance Committee at work to consider particular topics without any qualified accountants on it.

don't forget that there is a huge potential flaw in the plan...

if the athlete needs treatment and the governing body says no, but the team still race the athlete and he does a Tommy, there is almost certainly some potential liability on the governing body and they simply do not have the funds to fight any claim through the courts....

tuckandgo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

Errrr. Yes it is within the rules.

It is within the letter, but not the spirit, of the 'law'. (rules).
That was the point I was making. It IS in the rules. Those who think otherwise are getting confused. Gaming a system, but staying within it, is all part of sport.
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jibberjim"][quote="stenard"]
jibberjim wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

No, because when you apply, you are stating that you have a medical need, if you do not actually have that medical need but are doing it for performance reasons, that is a violation.

Medical need isn't 0 or 1, black or white. It's grey, that's just the way it is.

Hey, I don't agree with TUE's in professional level sport, but I have no problem with athletes using them if they are allowed by the system.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
he may well have been clean...and his performances would suggest so...or certainly clean of EPO...but he has not been critical of others...

I heard an interview with him a year or so ago, where he gave great credit to the GAP team manager. The team were basically told "there's a lot of crap going on in this sport, but I don't want it in my team, and if that means you lose every week then so be it." He said he was lucky that his 'job' was to win the prologue, and he could be competitive against the peleton in that one specific job because he sacrificed the chance to be competitive at anything else.

--
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
he may well have been clean...and his performances would suggest so...or certainly clean of EPO...but he has not been critical of others...

I heard an interview with him a year or so ago, where he gave great credit to the GAP team manager. The team were basically told "there's a lot of crap going on in this sport, but I don't want it in my team, and if that means you lose every week then so be it." He said he was lucky that his 'job' was to win the prologue, and he could be competitive against the peleton in that one specific job because he sacrificed the chance to be competitive at anything else.

--

that's probably the interview i heard...

Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ GAN team?
Buzz_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
^^ GAN team?

Yeah probably. Shows that their marketing millions were wasted on me at least.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
^^ GAN team?

Yeah probably. Shows that their marketing millions were wasted on me at least.

No loss to you! Apparently they had a terrible reputation as an Insurer back in the day. French company.
blindcider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
A top athlete has a chronic condition that means they're ill enough to need a TUE for a banned substance....then they go and win races. It's an abuse of the system which at the professional level is aided & abetted by doctors & officials.

If you're ill enough to have a genuine medical need for steriods, then arguably you shouldn't be racing.

A slight aside; but Insulin requires a TUE and diabetes is a chronic condition. Are you suggesting diabetics shouldn't be allowed to compete?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindcider wrote:

A slight aside; but Insulin requires a TUE and diabetes is a chronic condition. Are you suggesting diabetics shouldn't be allowed to compete?

I was provoking debate Smile

The question is where do you draw the line? If world class athletes are winning big races on TUEs, you have to seriously ask if their health would really be that bad without them. They aren't using them to have a decent quality of life, they are using them to enhance their athletic performance at a world class level. Plain & simple.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: