Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wahoo kickr and Trainerroad

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nannysooz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Wahoo kickr and Trainerroad Reply with quote

I have set it all up and it works fine. BUT, when doing the 8 min FTP test which I've done in the past, during the short 1 min high cadence warm up stretches the resistance is too hard to spin the pedals round. I'm very weak and lacking in any fitness but I'm sure this didn't happen before with my taxc flow.
How can I take the kickr out of ERG mode?
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know sooz but send TR an email about it. They are very good at getting back and I am pretty sure they will be able to help you out.
Cake1Me0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to click the hexagon shape in the corner to open the trainer settings, where you would go to calibrate it, and select resistance mode from there.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all in favour of setting training levels, especially to take advantage of training time, but if your conditioning is such that you are struggling to complete a demanding test, why not just allow yourself the opportunity to develop a reasonable level of conditioning first...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
nannysooz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is.... why in ERG mode does the kickr increase resistance when the test warm-up wants high cadence? I may be weak but this is not really the issue I want help with. The resistance becomes so hard that it is as though I'm hill climbing and I'm not able to spin with high cadence. This is what I can't understand.
nannysooz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cake1Me0 wrote:
You should be able to click the hexagon shape in the corner to open the trainer settings, where you would go to calibrate it, and select resistance mode from there.

YES...thanks for this. Please can you explain the difference between the 3 modes, ERG, resistance and standard?
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nannysooz wrote:
My question is.... why in ERG mode does the kickr increase resistance when the test warm-up wants high cadence? I may be weak but this is not really the issue I want help with. The resistance becomes so hard that it is as though I'm hill climbing and I'm not able to spin with high cadence. This is what I can't understand.

The session is set to have two 30s "clear out" efforts at 150% and 160% of FTP.

In erg mode, the trainer doesnt really care what cadence you are doing - it will up the resistance so that in combination with your cadence, the power output reaches the target (150/160% of FTP). The problem here is that if your cadence falls, then it will continue to up the resistance to try and achieve the power target. It becomes a bit of a vicious cycle.

What I would suggest is you get on top of the cadence before the interval starts. So during the last 5-10s of the 50% FTP intervals, spin up to a faster cadence in advance, and then when the power target ramps up you should be better able to stay on top of it. Otherwise, drop the workout % in advance of the intervals, or as others have said, switch out of erg mode.
nannysooz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
nannysooz wrote:

The session is set to have two 30s "clear out" efforts at 150% and 160% of FTP.

In erg mode, the trainer doesnt really care what cadence you are doing - it will up the resistance so that in combination with your cadence, the power output reaches the target (150/160% of FTP). The problem here is that if your cadence falls, then it will continue to up the resistance to try and achieve the power target. It becomes a bit of a vicious cycle.

What I would suggest is you get on top of the cadence before the interval starts. So during the last 5-10s of the 50% FTP intervals, spin up to a faster cadence in advance, and then when the power target ramps up you should be better able to stay on top of it. Otherwise, drop the workout % in advance of the intervals, or as others have said, switch out of erg mode.

Thanks...I realise now that in erg mode the trainer doesn't care about cadence...this was what I found confusing. Out of ERG mode for now. Will being out of ERG mode affect Zwift?
Cake1Me0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nannysooz wrote:
Cake1Me0 wrote:

YES...thanks for this. Please can you explain the difference between the 3 modes, ERG, resistance and standard?

ERG = the kickr controls resistance based on your cadence + programmed power
Resistance = you stay in one gear and set the resistance level
Standard = resistance is fixed and you increase power by increasing gears and cadence
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: