Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
IM UK 2018 - *COURSE CHANGES*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
salad_dodger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You git Jorgan... You stole the only opportunity I had to be first in anything.
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMan UK wrote:

Due to recent wildfires, and after extensive consultation with our council partners, local authorities and other key stakeholders, we would like to provide you a further update on IRONMAN UK Bolton 2018, including the decision to implement an alternate bike course.

While we’ve made every effort to continue with the original bike course, to ensure athlete and public safety, it is necessary to implement the following changes:

BIKE COURSE UPDATE

Athletes will exit T1 as normal and ride 15 miles to the start of the 2-lap section.

1) After climbing Babylon Lane athletes will now TURN LEFT onto Nickleton Brow instead of heading past New Road Rivington. The aid station will now be located on Nickleton Brow.

2) Athletes will cross Rivington Reservoir via Knowsley Lane and continue onto Moor Road.

3) Moor Road is a technical climb with a long descent. After climbing Moor Road athletes can enjoy panoramic views of the North West before starting the technical descent.

4) The course will then merge onto Higher House Lane before taking a right onto Hollin Lane, left onto Coppice Lane, right onto Tithe Barne Lane merging onto Chapel Lane before re-joining the original course in Wheelton on the A674.

The total distance of the alternate course is 95 miles, which while short, is the only solution which enables the race to go ahead, and ensures that our athletes, volunteers, marshals and staff remain safe; while also minimising the impact of the change on residents and local businesses.

You can view the new bike course map, here.

Despite the altered distance, IRONMAN UK Bolton remains a fully sanctioned IRONMAN event and a qualifier for the 2018 IRONMAN World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawai’i.

With the current fires in and around the Winter Hill area, we wish to assure you that air quality levels on the IRONMAN UK Bolton course have been continuously tested by environmental agency and civil contingency teams and show no increase to normal readings.

SWIM COURSE UPDATE

The current heatwave across the UK has caused a rise in blue-green algae levels and rising water temperature at the swim venue at Pennington Flash.

Blue-green algae is a natural occurrence influenced by weather patterns which can appear or dissipate overnight. With weather conditions affecting the presence and dissipation of blue-green algae, we must continue to monitor through water quality testing.

All athletes are reminded of the importance of attending one of the following Athlete Briefing sessions at the Albert Halls:
• Friday 13 July 2018: 17:00 – 18:00
• Saturday 14 July 2018: 12:00 – 13:00
• Saturday 14 July 2018: 17:00 – 17:45

We thank you for your patience and understanding as we manage these situations that have occurred beyond our control. Our thanks go out to our council partners, firefighters, rescue workers and emergency services for their efforts in containing the situation, ensuring the safety of the surrounding communities and for making it possible for the adjusted race to go ahead.

Please go here to read Frequently Asked Questions and remember you can stay up to date by downloading the IRONMAN app, visiting our website or following us on Facebook at IRONMAN England.

We look forward to welcoming you to IRONMAN UK this weekend,
Your IRONMAN UK Bolton Team

Bastion IM last Sunday was non-wetsuit (all Fat Buddha's fault btw Razz)

Turns out some folks Wink are really ARE sh1t sw1mmers without a wetsuit! Mad
94IM+11DIM+D+3Q+4T=153IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17

Last edited by Toyota_Crown on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:49 am; edited 2 times in total
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunate for the organisers but not a huge amount they can do, although the fires might have been arson Sad

Might mean more people get finished to watch the football!

If the swim is cancelled, I'd expect cyclists to go about 1 min intervals, rather than a duathlon?

Jeff
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they made it a Duathlon, I can see a lot of first timers bailing, and finding another event to qualify for the tattoo. Then there will be the shrewd types, who see a LD Duathlon as an increased KQ opportunity Smile
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with there is nothing they can do about the water or recent fires

but with a bit of planning they should and must be able to make the bike course a 112 miles even if it was a out and back loop with a dead turn
Jorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stivrunning wrote:

but with a bit of planning they should and must be able to make the bike course a 112 miles even if it was a out and back loop with a dead turn

I guess it's a logistic issue, with road closures i.e. clearances from local councils & police are only in place for the usual course. It's not like this is a local Sprint - we must be talking ca.2000 people strung-out on the course. Any changes of this magnitude are not easy.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota_Crown wrote:

Bastion IM last Sunday was non-wetsuit (all Fat Buddha's fault btw Razz)

Turns some folks are really ARE sh1t sw1mmers without a wetsuit! Mad

Outstanding decision Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
If the swim is cancelled, I'd expect cyclists to go about 1 min intervals, rather than a duathlon?

1 min intervals would take over 24 hours to get everyone started Wink

When they cancelled the swim at IM NZ a few years back I think they halved the length of the bike leg and set people off at quite short intervals.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fall out from the one and done brigade is already reaching fever pitch Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
JeffB wrote:

1 min intervals would take over 24 hours to get everyone started Wink

When they cancelled the swim at IM NZ a few years back I think they halved the length of the bike leg and set people off at quite short intervals.

Yes, I was just thinking about that, and maybe they'll do small groups every 30 seconds, but they wouldn't be that small and it would be impossible for them to not draft for the first 20-30 miles really.

Although they would have the extra 2:20 to start them in, but if there's nearly 2k competitors and only 140 minutes that's going to be a busy start.

Jeff
davidwilcock

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
the fall out from the one and done brigade is already reaching fever pitch Smile

I was going to take issue with the snobbishness of this but then I read the comments on Facebook and yeah, its ridiculous. Whether you do 1 or 100 long course events I dont really care but aggressively moaning about it on social media doesnt get you anywhere. The race is the race. Go race it.

Who would have thought they couldn't rearrange closing off c30 miles of road at little notice due to a mass scale moor fire that is far from often seen?

One guy was saying that PF would be open for business as normal tomorrow but then went on a rant about how the swim is cancelled. Think he needs to read his email again
davidwilcock

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a quick street view recce of the new course. The dummies need to go back in. It looks stunning, cant wait to get out on it
Stivrunning

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Stivrunning wrote:

I guess it's a logistic issue, with road closures i.e. clearances from local councils & police are only in place for the usual course. It's not like this is a local Sprint - we must be talking ca.2000 people strung-out on the course. Any changes of this magnitude are not easy.

your right its not a sprint tri its a major event for the area ,they have the backing of local councils and police etc,you have to apply for road closures so its clear that if in fact they did not see this coming they must have the backing of councils and police to allow to change the route without going before local councils for approval at such short notice

the route is open to adding distance rather than reducing the distance by such a huge amount!.
for all the people doing one and done they must be gutted not to be doing the full route and i feel for them.
ed_m

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh god... can you imagine the backlash if it was LONG though Very Happy
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stivrunning wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Stivrunning wrote:

your right its not a sprint tri its a major event for the area ,they have the backing of local councils and police etc,you have to apply for road closures so its clear that if in fact they did not see this coming they must have the backing of councils and police to allow to change the route without going before local councils for approval at such short notice

the route is open to adding distance rather than reducing the distance by such a huge amount!.
for all the people doing one and done they must be gutted not to be doing the full route and i feel for them.

"Dear homeowner, due to 2000 snowflakes kicking off on facebook we are going to give you 4 days notice to close your road / village. We have no diversions in place as its too difficult so suck in up sunshine"

Yep can see that going down well. It's not just race route but diversion planning and notifying the entire area that those road closures they'd planned around, well they've changed. They'd need about 1000 routes if they covered every potential eventuality. It's far from idea but they've done well to get any course agreed. Anyone that says otherwise might want to try organising an event.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: