Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Ironman Barcelona 2018

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davem

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Ironman Barcelona 2018 Reply with quote

Anyone off out to do this one?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, but am interested...maybe next year...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Andy G

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíve just booked the flights and hotel. Now just got to work out a way of getting from BCN to the venue. Is there a train?

Andy G
Davem

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy G wrote:
Iíve just booked the flights and hotel. Now just got to work out a way of getting from BCN to the venue. Is there a train?

Andy G

There is.. but..
you will need to catch a train from BCN airport into central barca.. then switch platforms to pick up a train to Calella.

I've booked a hire car as we want to explore the coast a bit. (I've done this race before and hired cars both times)

alternatively there are buses that run

https://www.flybus.com/en/bcn/transfer-to/calella.html
Andy G

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, thatís very good info.

Iím sure that the coach company would not be too impressed if I turned up with a bike box as well as luggage which will include a baby buggy.

Thinking that a train into and out of central Barcelona would be manageable, especially if itís just a platform change rather than a cross-town dash to another station?

Weíre only there for. a few days weíre in Friday and out again Tuesday. Canít remember the return flight details but a luggage deposit at the train station and a couple of hours in Barcelona for lunch on the Tuesday would be nice.

Andy Golden

Davem wrote:
Andy G wrote:

Andy G

There is.. but..
you will need to catch a train from BCN airport into central barca.. then switch platforms to pick up a train to Calella.

I've booked a hire car as we want to explore the coast a bit. (I've done this race before and hired cars both times)

alternatively there are buses that run

https://www.flybus.com/en/bcn/transfer-to/calella.html
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The train is a platform change, and you'll probably see a lot of other people changing.

The second train is quite slow stopping nearly every 5 minutes.

You are better changing at the first station in Barca, I think it's Sants rather than the main one, it's less crowded and you only need to go downstairs rather than across the station.

Jeff
ttowel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very different this year to previous years, 3rd time doing Barcelona and my fastest time. Was a lot fitter and younger in 2010 so nice to be quicker.

New bike course again, added in an extra 3k out and back section, now making it 181km.

Run the same, but swim was quite rough.

Last race in the 40-44 age group but still sub 9 in 8.54
Davem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw you out on the course Hywel - gave you a shout on your last lap of the run. Congrats on WINNING the M40 AG.

Third time there for me too - preferred the new bike course - the out and back sections had a gradient where you could get out of the saddle for a bit and stretch the back out.

The run had changed since 2014 - whilst going from 4 to 3 laps makes the course less congested, the bit they added on at the bottom of the run loop was a bit tedious

Happy enough with the time given an average training time of <3 hours per week, one run over 8 miles and one bike over 60 miles this year (Achilles issues and a change of job with a 3 hour commute each way 3 times a week.

Achilles held up on the run, but now been diagnosed with a stress fracture in my foot (I felt something crack at 16 miles)

Only 7 minutes slower than 2014, so got to be happy (most of the time lost was in T2 putting new K tape on my leg!)

As an aside - the swim was a "bit choppy" - I heard after the event 3 people had broken collarbones getting into the sea at the start!

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: