Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Swim training with no swimming... any ideas?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jay clock

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Swim training with no swimming... any ideas? Reply with quote

Background, have done 4 x IM and 8-10 half IMs in slow times. And getting slower

I am doing Mallorca 70.3 on 12 May and training will start on 1 Jan.

However on 25 Feb to 3 May I am away cycling across the USA (5000km). This www.usacycle2018.com ... Touring bike with full luggage, but I am sure that will be adequate cycling training. Plan is to run once a week building by 1k a week up to about 15k just to keep right muscles going

Swimming will be (if any) a couple of small hotel/campsite pools, and maybe one or two sea swims in Florida. But I am assuming nothing at all until 5 May when I am back

So any clever ideas for swim fitness whilst away? Will not have room/weight on the bike for any kit! If nothing suggested, I will just wing it on the swim!
Doonhamer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thera Band exercises? GTN were doing a few in a recent video, I'm sure there'll be more out there.
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your swim times?

I would train like a mad man for swimming before the event, and then just write it off.

It's only 1900m hopefully in a wetsuit, just lie in the water pulling yourself along for 40mins then unleash the bike power.

I just think Cycling across the US you will have enough to focus on / worry about.

and really what's a 70.3 compared to that?

But that really depends how good/bad at swimming you are.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a lot of work last winter, I got my HIM swim time down from 40mins to 34mins.

You are not losing a lot by not swimming, your ride and running should more than make up for that 6 minutes
Mungo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
I did 35 mins in both 70.3"s last year, my HR was about 2 bpm when I came out... ok maybe not 2 but low for me and many others.
Flat out I could probably do 32 and crawl to T1 gasping and hallucinating from the effort but choose not to for obvious reasons.

Your bike endurance will be through the roof after that monster ride, as someone else said cain the swim till you go and you should be good to go.
stevemac32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For hotel swimming pools these are great, i use them all the time coupled with a finnis tempo trainer

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/swimming-elastic-id_8320200.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: