Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Google Home - anyone got one
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Google Home - anyone got one Reply with quote

I'm thinking of getting one as an Xmas present.

Gimmick, or useful?

I don't have any music streaming subscriptions (or intend to get any), as I tend to stream from our home server (which, I understand, Google Home or Echo can stream from, which is a bit useless).

Other than that - any good?

John Lewis are selling them for £78 this week down from £120 so thought I may take advantage.

My 15 minutes of fame
Old Bob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not quite the same but we got an Amazon echo when they were on promotion... to be honest we only really use it (her) for weather forecast, traffic news, streaming music and listening to the radio etc so nowhere near what it is capable of... its a bit gimmicky but we definitely use it a lot and its quite fun showing off the voice control when we have guests etc. We're a bit sad like that Mad
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google are evil

Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep...that just about sums it up...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere about a murder investigation in America where the Police were trying to get Amazon or Google to release recordings from one of these devices.

Apparently they are listening/recording all the time and it all goes into the database somewhere. Maybe nonsense but I have vague recollection of something along those lines.

I guess next step would be, even if you haven't directly spoken to it, if it hears you mention pizzas a few times it starts recommending restaurants/takeaways.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
I'm sure I remember reading somewhere about a murder investigation in America where the Police were trying to get Amazon or Google to release recordings from one of these devices.

Apparently they are listening/recording all the time and it all goes into the database somewhere. Maybe nonsense but I have vague recollection of something along those lines.

I guess next step would be, even if you haven't directly spoken to it, if it hears you mention pizzas a few times it starts recommending restaurants/takeaways.

No, itís true.

The system works by speech analytics - it listens to everything, then analyses it to see if you asked it to do something.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
JaRok2300 wrote:

No, itís true.

The system works by speech analytics - it listens to everything, then analyses it to see if you asked it to do something.

yep, and whilst i am slightly nervous of the state getting access to this stuff....i am more nervous of an unelected ideologist group...

I wonder if you can RL too???

jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
No, itís true.

Not really, there's no traffic out of the units to the cloud speech recognisers other than after the wake up word is sent.

So yes they are listening for their wake up word, but that is not being sent to be stored anywhere. Doesn't mean it can't change, doesn't mean it doesn't store it locally, doesn't mean that sometimes it does. But currently the routine upload is not happening.

There are also plenty of options which require physical wake up, if that is something you want.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
No, itís true.

Not really, there's no traffic out of the units to the cloud speech recognisers other than after the wake up word is sent.

So yes they are listening for their wake up word, but that is not being sent to be stored anywhere. Doesn't mean it can't change, doesn't mean it doesn't store it locally, doesn't mean that sometimes it does. But currently the routine upload is not happening.

There are also plenty of options which require physical wake up, if that is something you want.

How long before ďGoogle monitored everything you said despite the functionality being disabledĒ is the headline?
Gus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If every single device uploaded all the conversation it hears then imagine how many trilly zilly milly villy bytes will have to be stored somewhere... I just can't see it TBH - and I'm a mad conspiracy theorist.

Anyway, I went for one of the minis today (£30) - not impressed so far. I can't get it to play any radio stations (one of the main reasons I bought it) but my 4yr old loves it... "what noise does an elephant say" has kept her amused for several hours....

My 15 minutes of fame
explorerJC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
If every single device uploaded all the conversation it hears then imagine how many trilly zilly milly villy bytes will have to be stored somewhere... I just can't see it TBH - and I'm a mad conspiracy theorist.

Anyway, I went for one of the minis today (£30) - not impressed so far. I can't get it to play any radio stations (one of the main reasons I bought it) but my 4yr old loves it... "what noise does an elephant say" has kept her amused for several hours....

it's not that they store everything, but they have the possibility (theoretically) of listening in...allegedly...

of course, some people assume that they are being listened to all the time...but they are either paranoid or trying to believe that they have something worth listening to...or probably both...

Tin Pot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:

I suggest you revise your understanding of current storage methods and capacity(!). Plenty of worry to be had Smile

I think Iím buying the Amazon Dot for the Mrs. Weíre an Apple branded home, but it should stream Amazon music which is all we want. Plus it has an output jack to add more speakers.
Gus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
Gus wrote:

I suggest you revise your understanding of current storage methods and capacity(!). Plenty of worry to be had Smile

I think Iím buying the Amazon Dot for the Mrs. Weíre an Apple branded home, but it should stream Amazon music which is all we want. Plus it has an output jack to add more speakers.

Yes I know storage is becoming so cheap/easy now but even so... However I do suspect that if every house had one, one day, then it would be a perfect tool for the security services to address the unit in a suspect's house and listen in, rather than a blanket 'record all, all the time'... who knows...

They'd have to build into their algorithms key words to listen out for like, I suppose, 'bomb' etc... the global population then just needs to pepper their conversations with as many key words as they can daily to quickly swamp that idea...

Anyway, for some reason, the Chromecast I bought with the unit saved the day (temporarily) as for some reason that can stream Radio 2 to the TV but the mini still can't... very annoying. But the Chromecast can also access all the Spotify premium capability by voice control which also stayed its execution... kept us entertained all last night, along with the YouTube streaming...

Very clever stuff.

My 15 minutes of fame
Gus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, a few days in with the Google thing and I must confess, I'm totally won over now.

Yes, it fails badly on a few things (the radio thing is still a major PITA). But last night, I just walked into the sitting room and said "hey Google, play some mellow jazz".

A few seconds later, mellow jazz starts playing out of our soundbar.

I mean come on... this is the stuff we dreamed about as kids!

Mindblowing.

My 15 minutes of fame
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
Ok, a few days in with the Google thing and I must confess, I'm totally won over now.

Yes, it fails badly on a few things (the radio thing is still a major PITA). But last night, I just walked into the sitting room and said "hey Google, play some mellow jazz".

A few seconds later, mellow jazz starts playing out of our soundbar.

I mean come on... this is the stuff we dreamed about as kids!

Mindblowing.

Mmm

Jazz

Nice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: