Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Google Home - anyone got one
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
A few seconds later, mellow jazz starts playing out of our soundbar.

I mean come on... this is the stuff we dreamed about as kids!

You and I must have had very different dreams as kids..

I still find the whole idea of talking to thin air very disturbing. I have enough trouble talking to a phone - when there is someone on the other end listening.

When it goes from voice recognition to mind reading, then I might get interested. Although that could be even more dangerous.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:

I still find the whole idea of talking to thin air very disturbing. .

you'd have got used to it living with this family... Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
funkin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a few Amazon Echo Dot's 'dotted' around the house. I do curse 'the bloody robot' a fair bit when 'she' doesn't understand me but generally I'm happy with them. Especially for things like setting an alarm each night in bed. Timers for cooking food are good as well. Apart from that mainly the weather forecast and turning the Sonos players and lights on and off.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Google Home mini in the sales too. I had 20 of JL vouchers, so it was under 15 to experiment.

Went Google as I already have chromecasts, and managed to pick up a chromecast audio to leverage my external TV speakers in the lounge for music.

As you say, I have a semi-open plan flat, so walking into the flat, being in the kitchen, and being able to remotely put some music on is quite fun (I also don't have a Spotify or Google Music subscription, but the free spotify stuff is good enough for me). Weather is handy. Radio works for me in general (what are you asking it to do?), but annoyingly not Radio X for some reason. It doesnt recognise that station, even though it leverages TuneIn and Radio X is on there. Confused

Can't currently offer tube status info at the moment which would also be handy. It does it for NYC subway as I understand, so probably will end up being able to do so eventually.

I missed out on the Philips Hue bundle that was an Amazon deal of the day on Friday. Was going to give that a punt. Mainly as my dining room and living room are on a single lighting ring, so smart lights would have been a straightforward way to enable individual lighting of the rooms without any re-wiring. Will keep a lookout for any further deals.

None of this is "game changing", but for the price, it's a nifty little extra.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

Can't currently offer tube status info at the moment which would also be handy. It does it for NYC subway as I understand, so probably will end up being able to do so eventually.

Just figured out you can do this by leveraging an external service. Have created a voice shortcut to get the status info of my commute tube lines with a single command.
Gus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funkin wrote:
Apart from that mainly the weather forecast and turning the Sonos players and lights on and off.

Can you control Sonos in any way with it? I heard you couldn't... (or is it just a smart power switch?)

Anyway, I have now managed to get the radio stations working - I have no idea how, it just suddenly started working.... Rolling Eyes

On the strength of that, I bought another Mini and Chromecast today, before the sales ended, for the kitchen.

Incidentally, with just a Mini, Spotify is limited, but adding the Chromecast for some reason allows me all the functionality and access of Spotify Premium...

I still remain very impressed - my wife is absolutely bowled over how good it is, and as a complete technology-hating Luddite, if she's impressed, that's true praise indeed. I was 'allowed' to buy the second Mini on the strength of this.

If only she was equally as impressed by bike carbon.

My 15 minutes of fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: