Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Brexit - seeing it from the other perspective
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:

If Brexit does turn-out to be a success, and we all have to hope it will, a lot of financial damage is already done; billions wiped of UK shares, currency value, economy has further stagnated, inflation due to the aforementioned.....

But we're not here for that discussion Very Happy

All my pension funds in foreign holdings have made massive gains in the last 1.5 years, so it's not all bad.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
We'll set our own tariffs for trade, goods and services.

Did you know that half the cost of a tin of peaches (Good old Del Monte) is an EU import tax designed to protect a tiny number of Portuguese and Italian peach producers.

So millions around Europe, buy millions of tins each year at inflated prices just to keep a dying Italian family in business - yeah, the EU is all about free trade.

Met a German chap last week while on holiday and on realising that we were English he made a half-hearted sarcastic attempt at asking if we were still happy to speak to Europeans. I replied that we had no problems with any country or its people except the inhabitants of Brussels who have no other function than to run the EU bureaucracy and we would all be better off without them. He said they through the same but put up with it - I pointed out that we have more guts than they have and havent been invaded by any Europeans for about 1,000 years and no Brussels bureaucrat is going to succeed where every country in Europe tried and failed.

Got myself a slap from Mrs O and a look from a stunned German retiree who then didnt speak to me for a week Very Happy
nannysooz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
Wheezy wrote:

Did you know that half the cost of a tin of peaches (Good old Del Monte) is an EU import tax designed to protect a tiny number of Portuguese and Italian peach producers.

So millions around Europe, buy millions of tins each year at inflated prices just to keep a dying Italian family in business - yeah, the EU is all about free trade.

Met a German chap last week while on holiday and on realising that we were English he made a half-hearted sarcastic attempt at asking if we were still happy to speak to Europeans. I replied that we had no problems with any country or its people except the inhabitants of Brussels who have no other function than to run the EU bureaucracy and we would all be better off without them. He said they through the same but put up with it - I pointed out that we have more guts than they have and havent been invaded by any Europeans for about 1,000 years and no Brussels bureaucrat is going to succeed where every country in Europe tried and failed.

Got myself a slap from Mrs O and a look from a stunned German retiree who then didnt speak to me for a week Very Happy

Haven't been on tritalk for a while so not sure how to quote but love the bit about 1,000 years etc...the reason why i voted to leave, probably because my parents lived through horrendous times and were staunchly "British" and very proud of it and no doubt it rubbed off on me growing up in the 50's. Can't bear to be pushed around by anyone.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamieMcP wrote:
We can have a more globalist trade policy with countries like China/ India than are on the up as opposed to focusing on Europe which is stagnant at best

Not inside Europe you won't - the EU is only interested in telling other countries how to make themselves less competitive so that any trade agreement favours the slack, overpriced, cosseted European market. This is the principal reason why the EU fails to get any large trade agreements - it tries to exclude any competitive advantage the other party may have.

The EU ensures that in any trade agreement it signs, that the other parties are not allowed to actually compete with Europe and have to alter their business structures and laws to be as uncompetitive as the closed European market.

IMO, the EU will never sign anything of any use with China or India as they are going to beat the EU hands down, and don't need to be held back.
Tony Stark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would like to see British road legislation applied to all inbound and existing foreign-registered vehicles as soon after transition as possible. I seriously doubt that all the Polish/Hungarian/Lithuanian trucks and drivers that seem to permanently reside over here meet all the requirements on tax/insurance/safety/pollution/working hours etc. and it is not a reciprocal thing where we have flooded the Eu with our vehicles and drivers. The whole idea with artics / containers is that the load gets dropped at the border and local transport delivers.
tin pot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this thread was about seeing the positive sides in your opponents view?

Laughing

We should see less Brits abroad when going on holiday as we’ll all be that much poorer, I hate being surrounded by Brits when in a foreign land.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
the_exile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remain voter, but the pound dropping considerably has done wonders for my pension fund.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all my pensions have gone up this year...except the gov one which is still stinging from the change in policy from a couple of years ago...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
Wheezy wrote:

taking lessons in spreading the love again???

Symes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could offset a minimum of £25bn of the divorce bill by dumping HS2 if that helps the people who think we need a fairer deal

Stronger mind and muscles than joints, what a b@stard
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Stark wrote:
Would like to see British road legislation applied to all inbound and existing foreign-registered vehicles as soon after transition as possible. I seriously doubt that all the Polish/Hungarian/Lithuanian trucks and drivers that seem to permanently reside over here meet all the requirements on tax/insurance/safety/pollution/working hours etc. and it is not a reciprocal thing where we have flooded the Eu with our vehicles and drivers. The whole idea with artics / containers is that the load gets dropped at the border and local transport delivers.

The idea of making UK roads safer is a very good one. I know the media might draw more attention to fatal road accidents where foreign HGV drivers are involved, but it would be interesting to see the statistical breakdown on fatal accidents involving goods vehicles.

I get the impression a big % of those unmarked white courier vans are driven by foreign nationals too; it will be interesting to see how that part of the logistics market is affected post Brexit i.e. will the sector (and ones like it) struggle to recruit UK citizens, will the EU nationals stay and so on.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be grateful to know from any leavers on here, their perception of how the EU has made our lives in the U.K. worse over the last 40 years than if we had never joined. Serious question. No biff intended. Educate me.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
I'd be grateful to know from any leavers on here, their perception of how the EU has made our lives in the U.K. worse over the last 40 years than if we had never joined. Serious question. No biff intended. Educate me.

if you had a budget of 10m euros a month, what would you do with it?

GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
taking lessons in spreading the love again???

Reminding the Germans who has scr*wed over most of Europe again this century and who might have to sort them out again Very Happy

And in fairness I wouldnt have said anything if he hadnt been a tw@t by trying to be a smart ars* and failing.
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:

More money firstly in our own economy, secondly more accountability of our politicians enacting laws we want and not what some Belgian wants and thirdly a far more dynamic economy not encumbered by EU Trade Policy which has resulted in no significant Trade Agreements in the last decade.

And the joy of watching Belgium disappear into complete and utter obscurity.

Its not so much as 'making things worse' but of not actually making anything much better for the vast sums of money we pay in. There's very little economic value in paying for Romanian roads, or Italian peach farmers, or the French CAP payments, or protection of Greek olive oil from the superior Turkish version - all of which increase the cost to UK consumers. The EU is a horrendously expensive body which can rarely ever be said to be economic.

Under the old EEC people could still come here and work with permission first, but couldnt claim benefits of any kind and had no right to reside. That gave us a flexible workforce without using up all out housing stock when the rest of Europe sends its surplus workers to the UK. We still export our elderly to Spain but the difference is they take their money with them to Spain - not go to live off Spain.

Because thats the primary effect of free movement - countries have been unwilling to reform their economies and have been let off the hook as their brightest have been able to leave and their country gradually goes into decline along with the overpopulated countries which were successful but are now burdened with supporting half of Europe.

Turning the question around, what have the EU ever done that the Uk couldnt have done on its own?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: