Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
I love dogs, but....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: I love dogs, but.... Reply with quote

...I am fed up with them jumping up and biting when I run...

when are owners going to be held accountable....

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldn't eat a whole one.

mong mong Wink
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree, all down to the owners.

I've got 2 small dogs and always always make sure they are well held when a runner goes by.

I also clear up their poo every single time!!!! It really winds me up to see the amount of poo on the streets, no need!
duckhen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly when running and approaching a dog and owner I slow down might even stop and say hello. Doesn't take long and makes me smile, sometimes the owners give a relieved smile too.

The dog doesn't seem to care either way and might still run after me but in the grand scheme of things I don't mind but I like dogs generally. If I didn't like dogs it might be different.

I get far more irritated by other cyclists who don't give a wave or head nod when I am out riding.........grrrrrrr
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckhen wrote:
Mostly when running and approaching a dog and owner I slow down might even stop and say hello. Doesn't take long and makes me smile, sometimes the owners give a relieved smile too.

The dog doesn't seem to care either way and might still run after me but in the grand scheme of things I don't mind but I like dogs generally. If I didn't like dogs it might be different.

I get far more irritated by other cyclists who don't give a wave or head nod when I am out riding.........grrrrrrr

i like dogs too...but this one came bounding towards me as i turned a corner along the canal towpath...i stopped and it still leapt at me...not much i could do but keep pushing it away...

Nobbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckhen wrote:

This is my approach too, I run through my local park where I walk my dog and I find most dogs ignore me, some of the younger ones get excited and want to run along which is fine with me. The inconvenient ones are one sheepdog owned by an old couple that always try's to round me up, a small terrier that barks and likes to chase, but the owner now get him under control if I'm coming and dopey dogs (and groups of ramblers) who just take up the whole path and are oblivious to other users of the path. At least the dogs have the excuse of being dumb animals.

I did have one terrier that chased me on three separate occasions and had a go at biting. On the third go, I picked it up by the collar, returned it to the owner and explained that they need to keep it on a lead if they can't control it and that if it did it again I would drop kick it into the river. Never saw them again.

P.S. Hi Adam, see your looking at IM Wales again, best of luck.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the summer I was out running along a path and a small dog starting 'harrassing' me, you know, yelping away and getting under my feet that I almost fell over. I say "why is it always the fcuking small ones?!" at which point the old dear who was the owner starts lambasting me for swearing and my lack of decorum or whatever.

I think it shows the general entitlement of some dog owners to just let their animals run free regardless, without anyone challenging them or offending their sensibilities - and she wasn't even the snowflake generation Wink
SGreg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it most annoying when the dog does something stupid and rather than the normal apologising, flapping laughing, taking the piss or whatever which is all fine they simply ignore the event and me as if nothing happened or I simply wasn't there.

I have no problem with dogs being dumb they are, or owners being unable to control them, it's a shared space, but when they can't even be arsed to acknowledge my existence it really winds me up, and my snarky comments don't really make it much better.
Gus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two dog-bite scars from being attacked whilst out running.

The trouble is, both were in very rural areas, running past their farms/houses with the owners out of sight.

Both drew blood quite badly - here's the second one just after it happened:

Over the following few days it swelled up massively and went yellow/blue and looked really nasty.

Trouble is at the time I had the dilemma of 'should I report it or not' (which IIRC I started a thread on) and in the end decided not to, as arguably I was running through their territory and it would've been unfair to have an animal put down for just acting naturally (no owners in sight).

If it had been in an urban street with the owner nearby, maybe I would've reacted differently.

My 15 minutes of fame
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:

Trouble is at the time I had the dilemma of 'should I report it or not' (which IIRC I started a thread on) and in the end decided not to, as arguably I was running through their territory and it would've been unfair to have an animal put down for just acting naturally (no owners in sight).

You should have reported it; you were not a thief in the night or attacking the owner. Were you on a public right of way or public space? I bet if you'd injured the dog defending yourself the owner would have been up-in-arms.

What happens if it had been a child is the usual benchmark for this.
duckhen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobbie wrote:
duckhen wrote:

This is my approach too, I run through my local park where I walk my dog and I find most dogs ignore me, some of the younger ones get excited and want to run along which is fine with me. The inconvenient ones are one sheepdog owned by an old couple that always try's to round me up, a small terrier that barks and likes to chase, but the owner now get him under control if I'm coming and dopey dogs (and groups of ramblers) who just take up the whole path and are oblivious to other users of the path. At least the dogs have the excuse of being dumb animals.

I did have one terrier that chased me on three separate occasions and had a go at biting. On the third go, I picked it up by the collar, returned it to the owner and explained that they need to keep it on a lead if they can't control it and that if it did it again I would drop kick it into the river. Never saw them

P.S. Hi Adam, see your looking at IM Wales again, best of luck.

Ha ha that would be funny yep back to Wales if all goes well, the payment plan and deferral option eases the pain of paying the cost of the brand but it is a great race and one or two of our mates might be there too. Fancy it again?
duckhen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
I have two dog-bite scars from being attacked whilst out running.

The trouble is, both were in very rural areas, running past their farms/houses with the owners out of sight.

Both drew blood quite badly - here's the second one just after it happened:

Over the following few days it swelled up massively and went yellow/blue and looked really nasty.

If it had been in an urban street with the owner nearby, maybe I would've reacted differently.

Gus that looks a bit sore, keeps those legs shaved all year round to help healing. I haven't been bitten so maybe I have that to come , I probably wouldn't be as relaxed if I had scars.
Nobbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckhen wrote:
Ha ha that would be funny yep back to Wales if all goes well, the payment plan and deferral option eases the pain of paying the cost of the brand but it is a great race and one or two of our mates might be there too. Fancy it again?

Don't want to plan too far ahead, so will try a last minute entry to IMUK as it's on my doorstep, but failing that, I might be tempted to join you in Wales if there are still places.

Gus,

You sure you weren't taking a piss in their garden at the time😀
duckhen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob IM UK ?????? Hmmm could do both me thinks
I donít think either fill up
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the police want to come and interview me...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: