Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Training Peaks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Training Peaks Reply with quote

Just got a code for a 7 day trial so naturally signed up Very Happy

What a lot of information!

Something that's always baffled me on the free version. Why does it sometimes show run figure of hrTSS, sometimes rTSS?

From this week:
Monday run 0hrTSS
Tuesday bike 28hrTSS
Wednesday run 51rTSS
Thursday bike 27hrTSS
Friday run 0hrTSS

I appreciate to get the most out of even the basic version I'll need to have a look at my zones and set them properly.

Just confused as to the different TSS that shows up.

Having a brief look at the full version, I doubt it would be worth me paying even the discounted amount.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://help.trainingpeaks.com/hc/en-us/articles/204071944-Training-Stress-Scores-TSS-Explained
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
https://help.trainingpeaks.com/hc/en-us/articles/204071944-Training-Stress-Scores-TSS-Explained

Sooooooo, why would 2 runs have different types of TSS?

I'm sure I read I set my HR Threshold by inputting the Average HR from a recent race, is that correct.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:
stenard wrote:

I'm sure I read I set my HR Threshold by inputting the Average HR from a recent race, is that correct.

Are you wearing a HRM? You clearly are for the bikes, as otherwise it would not be possible to have a hrTSS value, but what about the runs? 0 hrTSS implies not?

If you read what that article says about the TSS metrics, then "rTSS is the second most accurate method of calculating a Training Stress Score, and is the default method for Run workouts when there is enough data present to calculate". This would potentially imply that your runs where rTSS is not showing did not have enough data? Were they super short?

You can also select which TSS is displayed when you click on each workout. There's a "twisty" arrow next to the TSS value and if you click on that you get different numbers when you select the different TSS options.

Taking an easy 60mins run for me last night, as I also have a stryd PM, I get the option of all three TSS values:
TSS - 71
rTSS - 85
hrTSS - 62

Personally, I would only put any weight behind the TSS and hrTSS values. I can't recall having ever set my "pace zones", whereas my HR threshold and my perceived running power FTP are more driven by actual analysis of numbers in appropriate races/test environments. That said, the variability shows that TSS is hard to truly measure accurately. Hence why I don't actually bother paying for premium, just to get the PMC. The one stravistix gives is probably as representative, and free. And ultimately I am paying for a coach to appropriately manage my fitness and fatigue towards my A races.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Roscoemck wrote:
stenard wrote:

Are you wearing a HRM? You clearly are for the bikes, as otherwise it would not be possible to have a hrTSS value, but what about the runs? 0 hrTSS implies not?

If you read what that article says about the TSS metrics, then "rTSS is the second most accurate method of calculating a Training Stress Score, and is the default method for Run workouts when there is enough data present to calculate". This would potentially imply that your runs where rTSS is not showing did not have enough data?

You can also select which TSS is displayed when you click on each workout. There's a "twisty" arrow next to the TSS value and if you click on that you get different numbers when you select the different TSS options.

Taking an easy 60mins run for me last night, as I also have a stryd PM, I get the option of all three TSS values:
TSS - 71
rTSS - 85
hrTSS - 62

Personally, I would only put any weight behind the TSS and hrTSS values. I can't recall having ever set my "pace zones", whereas my HR threshold and my perceived running power FTP are more driven by actual analysis of numbers in appropriate races/test environments.

Why wouldn't there be enough data I wonder? I always wear a HRM on a run or bike.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoemck wrote:

Why wouldn't there be enough data I wonder? I always wear a HRM on a run or bike.

No idea. Do you actually have HR data on those workouts showing?

I've just checked a super short run, being a quick cool down after XC the other week, and I get all the TSS/rTSS/hrTSS values for something even this brief an activity.

jibberjim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

missing rTSS is most likely lack of altitude data.

rTSS is astonishingly bad, don't use it. There is too much variation in running that inferring power from speed is not a good idea.

Whilst rTSS takes into account hills - if there's good enough barometric altitude, run a flat route when there's a storm coming - it doesn't take into account wind, surface, shoes, weight etc.
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

It shows the HR values as above, just no TSS.

Why would there be a lack of altitude data? Odd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: