Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Cross tri in the UK
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tooyoungandstupid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Cross tri in the UK Reply with quote

Is it dead completely?!?

Browsing the British triathlon website and spotted Ibiza 2018, the cross tri sounds like an ideal end of season goal to me (ex MTB racer turned triathlete).

Qualification looks like a standard procedure (I've done long distance age grouping before) so went to the event search...

And not a single cross tri anywhere in the U.K. Registered between now and next June! Are there any events which are likely to take place, or is it a case you have to go abroad to even do a qualification race?

I know some of the challenges of organising a cross tri (I help to organise bike events, and have helped out with local tris as well) but surely someone in the U.K. can make one work? I've got no kids etc so could happily travel almost anywhere in the first half of the year, but there just isn't an option outside of a Southern European xterra that I can see.

Thoughts? Anyone done a cross tri age group race based on normal tri and mtb experience?
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, was looking yesterday for one of my athletes and drew a blank...albeit not an exhaustive search.

There are a handful of low key ones but that's usually about it...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross tri seems be dying completely in the UK and I really don't know why as it's a great alternative to a road tri and is usually a lot more fun. Since XTERRA died in the UK (after a few revivals!), and XTT went west the enthusiasm for anyone to fill the gap isn't there. There are still a few cross tri and duathlons about - check out http://www.durtyevents.com/ - albeit in Scotland (and permitted by Triathlon Scotland), but they are very few and far between sadly.

keep an eye on the BTF website as an awful lot of 2018 events have yet to be listed on there even though I know they are happening - they should start appearing in the New Year.
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
Cross tri seems be dying completely in the UK and I really don't know why as it's a great alternative to a road tri and is usually a lot more fun. Since XTERRA died in the UK (after a few revivals!), and XTT went west the enthusiasm for anyone to fill the gap isn't there. There are still a few cross tri and duathlons about - check out http://www.durtyevents.com/ - albeit in Scotland (and permitted by Triathlon Scotland), but they are very few and far between sadly.

keep an eye on the BTF website as an awful lot of 2018 events have yet to be listed on there even though I know they are happening - they should start appearing in the New Year.

I was just about to mention PaulMcG and Durty events

I would love to do more off road tris, as I enjoy trail running, but the lack of an MTB hampers me.

So many races so little time.
leahnp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a convert to x tri in the last year as I went to Aviemore to do the Durty Triathlon. Paul McG does put on a good event. Most of the races are duathlons until later in the year. For 2018 I'm heading to Malta in April to get Xterra series underway as there is a lack of regular racing in the UK.
For GB qualification get onto the xtri hub Facebook page and reach out to Cram Eceerp. As a MTBer turned triathlete there may be a way of getting on the team etc based on experience rather than specific results as there are fewer races to rely upon.
leahnp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

I would love to do more off road tris, as I enjoy trail running, but the lack of an MTB hampers me.[/quote]
Jamie,I booked some MTB lessons as a refresher with my son to get the feeling back and it made a big difference. Coming from a TT background i've had to throw even pacing out of the window treat it like a crit race. On the tracks and climbs I am up there but I am getting it handed to me on the technical descents but I am starting to close the gap (a tiny bit).
JamieMcP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leahnp wrote:

I would love to do more off road tris, as I enjoy trail running, but the lack of an MTB hampers me.[/quote]
Jamie,I booked some MTB lessons as a refresher with my son to get the feeling back and it made a big difference. Coming from a TT background i've had to throw even pacing out of the window treat it like a crit race. On the tracks and climbs I am up there but I am getting it handed to me on the technical descents but I am starting to close the gap (a tiny bit).[/quote]

My MTB is 16 years old and rusting in the hedge, last time I used it was about 5/6 years ago. Which was actually at one of Pauls events in the Borders. I found the same I was keeping pace on the up hill section but loosening out massively on anything technical.

My issue with mountain biking is that I have to put the bike in the car and drive somewhere. But for a decent road ride I can be out in the back roads of East Lothian within half an hour.

When the bike to work scheme opens up in April I am toying with buying a new one

So many races so little time.
JeffB

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a cross\MTB duathlon at Kielder in early January, bit of a trek for some of you though.

can also do it on a CX bike if you don't have an MTB.

Jeff
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
There's a cross\MTB duathlon at Kielder in early January, bit of a trek for some of you though.

Jeff

not quite - the rules for Cross tri/du are quite specific for bikes - from BTF rules

19.4 Mountain Biking Conduct:
a.) The maximum tyre diameter for the MTB is 29 inches/74 centimetres. The minimum cross section is 1.5 inch/3.8
centimetre; Front and rear wheels may have different diameters;
b.) Studded and/or slick tyres are allowed;
c.) Competitors are allowed to push or carry the bike over the course;
d.) Drafting is allowed; for safety reasons it may be forbidden to pass other athletes before entering the transition
area. Lapped competitors will not be removed from the race;
e.) Clip-ons are not allowed;
f.) Traditional road handlebars are forbidden;
g.) Traditional MTB bar ends are authorized. Ends must be plugged.
h.) Cyclocross bikes are forbidden unless they comply with the above criteria.

however, an organiser can allow CX bikes provided they are put into a separate category to MTBs (and prized accordingly) although they can race together. however for UK Champ podiums and ETU/ITU champ qualifiers, only MTB results count.

I had the situation last year where a guy competed in a Cross duathlon (see below) on a hybrid but his tyres were narrower than 38mm - he finished 2nd overall but was not awarded a podium prize as his bike was outside specs. that was better than either a straight DQ or not allowing him to start and was agreed with him in advance.

if you're down south check out the Hole Park Duathlon in Kent - it's quite a toughie! next year the organisers are offering 2 events in one - same trail runs but either a MTB off road bike OR an on-road bike course.
leahnp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beat me to it!, most of the 'off road' courses are doable on a CX bike but they were gubbing the MTBers on the flat/fire roads. A separate cat is one way to do it but how it is marshalled is another question.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leahnp wrote:
beat me to it!, most of the 'off road' courses are doable on a CX bike but they were gubbing the MTBers on the flat/fire roads. A separate cat is one way to do it but how it is marshalled is another question.

tbh - the Hole Park bike course is usually as muddy as buggery and really only MTB friendly, but last year it just happened to have been dry for some time before so it was CX friendly which is how the guy on the hybrid came 2nd (plus the fact he was a bloody quick runner!).

marshalling is easy and comes down to good TOs (refs). we are there to ensure rule compliance and it's pretty easy to check a bike that you think doesn't comply as it's really only the tyre width or bars that's the issue.

one thing I wouldn't suggest is to do a very muddy course on a fatbike unless you like carrying a ton of mud!! saw a couple at the last muddy XTERRA and the riders were bushed by the end of the bike leg and DNF'd.
steveymac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said above have a look at the x-tri page on FB, that seems to be the hub for UK based x-tri and I've recently seen on there the criteria to qualify which takes into account the lack of events.

So far all there seems to be next year is Aviemore (Aug) and Craggy Island (Oct tbc) however there's possibly one happening apparently down south from the guys that run the southern xc mtb series.

Hopefully any that do appear have 'proper' mtb courses as opposed to fields and grass that roadies can just power round.
tooyoungandstupid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've joined the xtri hub group on Facebook- thanks for the recommendation!

Interesting to see the enthusiasm for cross tri both on here and on the Facebook group (not sure if it's the same people!?) yet repeated attempts don't seem to be able to get an event running year on year.

Maybe I/we should work harder with landowners/BTF to secure a better location (if that's the limiting factor) or is it a case that road tri is just so dominant in the U.K. The market won't support off road events as well? As an aside numbers at MTB XC events are hardly booming. Sustainable yes, but not heavily over subscribed as they once were.
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
JeffB wrote:

Jeff

not quite - the rules for Cross tri/du are quite specific for bikes - from BTF rules

a.) The maximum tyre diameter for the MTB is 29 inches/74 centimetres. The minimum cross section is 1.5 inch/3.8
d.) Drafting is allowed; for safety reasons it may be forbidden to pass other athletes before entering the transition

however, an organiser can allow CX bikes provided they are put into a separate category to MTBs (and prized accordingly) although they can race together. however for UK Champ podiums and ETU/ITU champ qualifiers, only MTB results count.

I had the situation last year where a guy competed in a Cross duathlon (see below) on a hybrid but his tyres were narrower than 38mm - he finished 2nd overall but was not awarded a podium prize as his bike was outside specs. that was better than either a straight DQ or not allowing him to start and was agreed with him in advance.

if you're down south check out the Hole Park Duathlon in Kent - it's quite a toughie! next year the organisers are offering 2 events in one - same trail runs but either a MTB off road bike OR an on-road bike course.

Hmm, I suppose it is possible the race isn't BTF sanctioned thinking about it, in which case I suspect they can make their own rules.

Or, I could have missed it will be a separate category.

Jeff
fat buddha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
JeffB wrote:

Jeff

Hmm, I suppose it is possible the race isn't BTF sanctioned thinking about it, in which case I suspect they can make their own rules.

Or, I could have missed it will be a separate category.

Jeff

if there is no BTF permit, an organiser can basically run whatever rules they wish
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: