Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wheezy Boy...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrace wrote:
I'm likely dropping right in to the Lance camp but so be it, we all have to believe in something. So even if he's not legal, if it's "only" a puffer we are still witnessing one of the greatest bikers of all times and should really enjoy watching it.

Personally I keep hopes high that he's as close as we reasonably can get to clean top performing athletes ("top" as in "winning big races"). If not him then we'd be scrutinizing some other guy on the podium - and I'm sure a lot of 2nd tier guys are happy he's taking the media attention.

So from me, Go Froome! F***ing well done laddy!

The guy's proven that he can climb, descend and TT. That's just awesome.
+1 Shame everyone is so keen to knock him, and one of our own. Nicest bloke in cycling too.
I had a Salbutamol inhaler as a child. as a PED it is p1ss, barely helped with my asthma FFS, so really, Nothing To See Here. Usual French-farce. Disbelief
97IM+12DIM+D+3Q+4T=158IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-18
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When he first came on the scene, I was not a big Chris Froome fan, however, as years go by and he became more an more successful, I started to change my opinion, and grudgingly started to appreciate his success. However, the current scandal has converted me from a grudging Chris Froome Fan into a full on supporter. I think that he has handled a very tough period extremely well. Do I think that he completely clean? no more so than the other top 5 or 10 riders, however, I think that the Asthma Inhaler saga had absolutely nothing to do with performance enhancing drugs
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't claim to be a hardcore cycling fan (having only got into it in the last 4/5 years since i started tri) nor do i profess to even the remotest understanding of the complex drug laws etc etc.

But my thoughts echo Mattsurf. i think he's handled it with dignity and respect. I've always liked him, preferring him to Wiggins from the early days. I seem to like the quieter guys that just get on with their thing as opposed ot the more extroverte 'showy' type athletes. Not sure why.

That said, i haven't been through the mill of the past 20+ years of let downs from the sport, so i guess i'm coming from a more comfortable, naiive position? Who knows.

I don't think he's gonna get a particularly pleasant ride over the next 3 weeks though!
mattsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting reading here

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/44694122
tuckandgo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:

The podcast that goes with it is well worth listening to.
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuckandgo wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Yeah, I listened to it on my run this lunchtime. They're right that the CF power data in isolation means little, but I can fully imagine that Team Sky are significant outliers in terms of the meticulous attention to detail they have in planning and execution across the entire spectrum. Simply the number of bodies they are able to commit to lining the route dwarfs the other teams.

As Brailsford said on his interview with the same podcast, by lining the Finestre every 2k, CF didnt need to carry excess bottles up the climb. That early in the stage, most of the others would have likely had a fairly full ones on the frame. That's potentially more than an extra 0.5-1kg they were carrying just in water/fluids. At the elite level, that's more than just a marginal gain.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Yeah, I listened to it on my run this lunchtime. They're right that the CF power data in isolation means little, but I can fully imagine that Team Sky are significant outliers in terms of the meticulous attention to detail they have in planning and execution across the entire spectrum.in.

Except of course when they conveniently forget that they have meticulous attention to detail, leaving one to assume that they are cheats...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
stenard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
stenard wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Yeah, I listened to it on my run this lunchtime. They're right that the CF power data in isolation means little, but I can fully imagine that Team Sky are significant outliers in terms of the meticulous attention to detail they have in planning and execution across the entire spectrum.in.

Except of course when they conveniently forget that they have meticulous attention to detail, leaving one to assume that they are cheats...

Maybe they're now retaining all these records much more rigorously as a consequence of that episode.

But as the BBC podcast said...to those who want to hate, nothing they have released will change that view.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure he's a very nice chap, and clearly highly gifted, but personally not a big fan, because we all like different 'characters' when it comes to sport. Tbh, I think he probably has a very similar personality to me; an outgoing-introvert, if that makes sense. He likes to remain dignified, and doesn't rise to all the Internet tosh, doesn't make a big fuss but very engaging.

I'm not sure I do have a favourite, but I would like to see things mixed-up a bit. I would really like to see what Landa could do; much like when Froome was having to keep his powder dry in 2012.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
stenard wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:
mattsurf wrote:

Maybe they're now retaining all these records much more rigorously as a consequence of that episode.

But as the BBC podcast said...to those who want to hate, nothing they have released will change that view.

The BBC is so far entrenched in post modernist ideology that I would not be surprised if an alleged journalist did use that term. It does, of course, get used to simply reject any criticism or opposing view rather than provide an effective defence or riposte.

What would have changed my view is if they had been honest in the first place...

Doca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:

The BBC is so far entrenched in post modernist ideology that I would not be surprised if an alleged journalist did use that term. It does, of course, get used to simply reject any criticism or opposing view rather than provide an effective defence or riposte.

What would have changed my view is if they had been honest in the first place...

You should listen to the podcast, pretty sure that was Michael Hutchinson who made that comment & he reviewed the documents for the BBC. I couldn't think of anyone better to do that honestly.
stenard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
stenard wrote:

They actually used "doubters" from memory. I was just paraphrasing.
Doca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.teamsky.com/article/chris-froome-writes-in-le-monde
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should probably be focussing more on people like Valverde, before pointing the finger at Froome. He's not showing much sign of slowing down after serving his ban, despite his advancing years.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
We should probably be focussing more on people like Valverde, before pointing the finger at Froome. He's not showing much sign of slowing down after serving his ban, despite his advancing years.

not sure i've pointed a finger at Froome although i am concerned about his puffs hence the thread....I remain concerned about the ethics of the team management...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: