Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Brits new sub

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 15496
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: The Brits new sub Reply with quote

looks like the UK has built the world's first dual role submarine/aircraft carrier...

not quite sure how they are going to pull this one off...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JaRok2300




Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 372
Location: Worcester, UK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For it to be a submarine would it not need the ability to come back up again?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 15496
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
For it to be a submarine would it not need the ability to come back up again?


you mean without someone finding it remotely?

Who knows JR, who knows....good old MOD procurement...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gus




Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 2495
Location: Freezing my nads off in Aberdoom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only 200 l/h through a bearing seal. That's what sea trials are for - to be honest, on a project of this magnitude I'd be astonished if they hadn't found something wrong somewhere.
_________________
BLOG now updating again!
In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big...

My 15 minutes of fame
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaRok2300




Joined: 01 May 2014
Posts: 372
Location: Worcester, UK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Gus"]It's only 200 l/h through a bearing seal.

That's quite a lot if you're the bloke with the mop!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GrahamO




Joined: 10 Apr 2005
Posts: 10087
Location: United Arab Emirates or an airport

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200l/hour is nothing when you can pump out 10,000 per hour.

And the contractor picks up the bill.

Too many people looking to sensationalise a non-event which is what trials are for.
_________________
Arguing with engineers is like wrestling in mud with a pig - after a while you realise they like it
newMan : I don't know why you think you can address me like that! Don't ever reply directly to any of my posts again please.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 15496
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JaRok2300"]
Gus wrote:
It's only 200 l/h through a bearing seal.

That's quite a lot if you're the bloke with the mop!


exactly... Smile
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 15496
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
200l/hour is nothing when you can pump out 10,000 per hour.

And the contractor picks up the bill.

Too many people looking to sensationalise a non-event which is what trials are for.


it is a strategic failure to ensure they get the 2nd ship...

Not sure who edited this post. Please don't.
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/


Last edited by explorerJC on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tin pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2563
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamO wrote:
200l/hour is nothing when you can pump out 10,000 per hour.

And the contractor picks up the bill.

Too many people looking to sensationalise a non-event which is what trials are for.


The reportage on radio 4 was quite painful as the journalist kept on with the “but this is a disaster” in the face of repeated expert attestation that this was nothing of concern at all.
_________________
Iron ‘17 16h11, '16 14h30
Half Iron ‘18 DNF, '17 7h39, 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gus




Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 2495
Location: Freezing my nads off in Aberdoom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
GrahamO wrote:
200l/hour is nothing when you can pump out 10,000 per hour.

And the contractor picks up the bill.

Too many people looking to sensationalise a non-event which is what trials are for.


it is a strategic failure to ensure they get the 2nd ship...

Not sure who edited this post. Please don't.


That was weird - I saw your original post and remained a little baffled - did someone else edit it?
_________________
BLOG now updating again!
In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big...

My 15 minutes of fame
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gus




Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 2495
Location: Freezing my nads off in Aberdoom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:
GrahamO wrote:
200l/hour is nothing when you can pump out 10,000 per hour.

And the contractor picks up the bill.

Too many people looking to sensationalise a non-event which is what trials are for.


The reportage on radio 4 was quite painful as the journalist kept on with the “but this is a disaster” in the face of repeated expert attestation that this was nothing of concern at all.


Ah, our good friends at the BBC. Any possible British success story cannot be allowed. I believe it gives the BBC physical pain if this country ever actually succeeds at something and - God forbid - we raise a patriotic flag in support.

I used to be a big supporter of the BBC but these days I've joined the growing ranks of demanding the license fee be revoked.

Those running it have managed to destroy a great, historic institution and turn it into a politicised mouthpiece of leftist/multicultural values with a permanent and insidious hidden agenda.

I hate them with a vengeance now.

I stopped watching the BBC news a few years ago as it was just turning my stomach.
_________________
BLOG now updating again!
In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big...

My 15 minutes of fame
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 15496
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
GrahamO wrote:
200l/hour is nothing when you can pump out 10,000 per hour.

And the contractor picks up the bill.

Too many people looking to sensationalise a non-event which is what trials are for.


it is a strategic failure to ensure they get the 2nd ship...

Not sure who edited this post. Please don't.


That was weird - I saw your original post and remained a little baffled - did someone else edit it?


it would appear so...i usually am not that drunk during the day that i forget what i write (although that may not always appear to be the case Smile )
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 15496
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gus wrote:
Tin Pot wrote:
GrahamO wrote:
200l/hour is nothing when you can pump out 10,000 per hour.

And the contractor picks up the bill.

Too many people looking to sensationalise a non-event which is what trials are for.


The reportage on radio 4 was quite painful as the journalist kept on with the “but this is a disaster” in the face of repeated expert attestation that this was nothing of concern at all.


Ah, our good friends at the BBC. Any possible British success story cannot be allowed. I believe it gives the BBC physical pain if this country ever actually succeeds at something and - God forbid - we raise a patriotic flag in support.

I used to be a big supporter of the BBC but these days I've joined the growing ranks of demanding the license fee be revoked.

Those running it have managed to destroy a great, historic institution and turn it into a politicised mouthpiece of leftist/multicultural values with a permanent and insidious hidden agenda.

I hate them with a vengeance now.

I stopped watching the BBC news a few years ago as it was just turning my stomach.


there is a slide somewhere which displays the decrease in positive reporting in the 20 C (iirc)..i will try to find it...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.