Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Fat Fighters 2018 - January weigh in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66.8 kg

11.2 BF

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
david1273

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

70.6 this week, down almost a kilogram...but I suspect that might have been mostly snot having been turned into a sneezing wreck after swimming in a horribly cloudy pool yesterday morning
iwaters

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scales don't seem to have shifted for a few days which annoys me.

I did measure my waist and that is down 3.5 inches from NYE.

Looking for excuses on my weight I am doing quite a bit of strength training atm and have been putting creatine in my protein shake. Must be the water retention from that.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been on a vegan diet since 1 jan, and dropped from 72.7kg to just under 70kg.

Feedback pretty good so far, and really glad to be giving it a try - it's been interesting and surprising. I'm getting pretty lean although not consciously 'eating less'. There have been less hunger pangs than my old diet and no yearnings for the 'missing' food types other than the two times I have eaten out.

One of the really good (surprising) things is it takes out some of the temptations: having committed I know I can't eat chocolate etc, so when snacking there is no 'battle 'shall I shan't I' I simply go for the vegan stuff - usually nuts or dried fruit. That is easier than being continually tempted and having to say no.

Energy levels seem ok and I have sustained my usual heavy training load. I am supplementing with vegan protein powder and vitamins.

Real decision point comes in 2-3 weeks when I hit my next 'test week' as I will see whether I have improved over the period. However, unless things go horribly in test week I am definitely going to extend the experiment to the end of March.

After that I will end the pure Vegan diet but am definitely going to keep some things about it - not really sure what yet. Possibly Vegan midweek/non vegan at weekends, or allow just a few non vegan things such as real greek yoghurt, lean chicken.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:

Interesting... what's your ultimate, not quite Froome, but basically lean race weight would you say?

Assuming you had a lot of dairy / meat calories before, has the replacement only been nuts and protein powder or have you also increased bread?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about diet, I eat virtually no red meat, and not that much meat in general either; this is because my wife is a 'pescaterian' (fish only), so making more than one meal is just extra work. What we do eat a lot of though in our house is dairy; we get through a shed load of milk, cheese, eggs & a fair bit of butter (kids mainly on the butter). The dairy is probably my main source of protein as we don't actually eat fish that often either (we do eat Quorn at least once a week) I do like sardines though. I once tried the soya protein powder Puke

I wonder if I should eat more red meat, so I don't have to get a TUE for 'T' as I get closer to my fifties Laughing
explorerJC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
Thinking about diet, I eat virtually no red meat, and not that much meat in general either; this is because my wife is a 'pescaterian' (fish only), so making more than one meal is just extra work. What we do eat a lot of though in our house is dairy; we get through a shed load of milk, cheese, eggs & a fair bit of butter (kids mainly on the butter). The dairy is probably my main source of protein as we don't actually eat fish that often either (we do eat Quorn at least once a week) I do like sardines though. I once tried the soya protein powder Puke

I wonder if I should eat more red meat, so I don't have to get a TUE for 'T' as I get closer to my fifties Laughing

i have gradually eased my wife away from fish to more red meat....it's taken many years, but it was worth the pain Smile

I can't tolerate dairy anymore, but drink the best part of 150ml of light soya milk a day...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:

Interesting... what's your ultimate, not quite Froome, but basically lean race weight would you say?

Assuming you had a lot of dairy / meat calories before, has the replacement only been nuts and protein powder or have you also increased bread?

Research on top end IM performance has shown the theoretical ideal weight for my height would be 66kg. I think I would be happy around 68kg, the big proviso is I still need to feel energetic, get the training sessions done and see improvements. I'm hoping there's a sweetspot somewhere which I'll settle into, but not sure where it is yet. Splitting the difference between the theoretical ideal and my last race weight would be 68.5 kg.

Bread pretty similar amount, - more pulses/beans, addition of soya. Concern is that I won't get the proteins I need.

Target is IM Florida, so really Jan-Mar can be time to experiment as I still have 7 months from April onwards.
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:

Research on top end IM performance has shown the theoretical ideal weight for my height would be 66kg. I think I would be happy around 68kg, the big proviso is I still need to feel energetic, get the training sessions done and see improvements. I'm hoping there's a sweetspot somewhere which I'll settle into, but not sure where it is yet. Splitting the difference between the theoretical ideal and my last race weight would be 68.5 kg.

Bread pretty similar amount, - more pulses/beans, addition of soya. Concern is that I won't get the proteins I need.

Target is IM Florida, so really Jan-Mar can be time to experiment as I still have 7 months from April onwards.

Was that the Brian chap who looked at all the pros and their heights/weights and did that formula? On that I came out at 87Kg. I am hoping to be somewhere around the 90Kg mark by Lanza. I think for me getting down as low as 87 is going to be v.hard, especially with the time I have
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:

Was that the Brian chap who looked at all the pros and their heights/weights and did that formula? On that I came out at 87Kg. I am hoping to be somewhere around the 90Kg mark by Lanza. I think for me getting down as low as 87 is going to be v.hard, especially with the time I have

Do you mean the Alan Couzens study? Don't forget it was for Pro IM athletes, rather than AGers!
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
iwaters wrote:

Do you mean the Alan Couzens study? Don't forget it was for Pro IM athletes, rather than AGers!

Yes that's the one. Alan, Brian - rubbish with names. Data is here, for anyone interested:

https://www.alancouzens.com/blog/height_weight.html

We would be pros if we didn't have to work though eh? Smile Smile

ETA - just re did it. Mine comes at 81Kg, not 88. I would look seriously ill if I weight 81kg! If i wanted to be a pro 10K runner I would need to be 66kg. PMSL. I would have to hack a leg off to get in a country mile of that weight.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
iwaters wrote:

Couzens study part of it, think Friel has a 'best for IM' BMI of 21 which comes out with the same number, there was one other (forget which) which also came out around that same value.

The Couzens study does show what is theoretically possible at Pro level but also led to my ballpark target of being 2kg heavier and seeing how that goes/feels. Racing 5-6kg above that theoretical is almost certainly too heavy, and to even have a sniff at KQ I'll need everything possible optimised. Aware that there is risk hence doing all this before the training proper for Florida starts.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot. 73.6
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with iwaters on this, I'll probably be in my coffin before I weigh 64KG again, that's nearly 12KG to lose. Although on the positive side I'm about bang on for a distance swimmer Shocked

Back on topic, I've not had a great week, been away for a few days with work and although I generally avoided the free biscuits I did overindulge in other ways, Starbucks hot chocolates being one.

So, trying to get back on track again, and will see if I can get on the scales in a few days, I suspect I'll be similar again, ~75.x kg's

Jeff
Roscoemck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

71kg this morning. Pleased with that as only 3kg from my immediate goal of 68kg.

We tried going vegan last year for about 11 months. Trouble is, we wanted to be properly vegan. This means checking the ingredients of everything. Biscuits, crisps, bread, soups......everything. Amazing how many foods and other products have some form of animal produce in them.

In the end we found it a bit too restrictive and were missing fish and eggs too much.

Still don't eat any meat, red or white. Goes nicely with me being a teetotal non smoker Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: