Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
25 years in tri
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fruit thief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for reading and for the comments.

Sidsnot/ fat buddha
- just 15/16 years you whippersnappers? Very Happy Kudos FB for organising events, you guys are the ones who make all this possible.

Gingerbongo, Roscoemck, Andy G, wheezy - thanks for reading & glad you enjoyed

ExplorerJC - Definitely write up your story- would love to read that. Did we meet at Powerman UK a few years back?

Mattsurf
- fine view you must have had growing up. Weymouth seems to have become a bit of a hub for tri in the SW with Ironman, Challenge, BustinSkin, summer aquathlon series etc. Great place to swim, although a bit ropey in the town centre on a Saturday night (I am led to believe...)

TRO Saracen- see you in Kona, compare walking sticks perhaps

Jorgan, Mungo
- do I hear 25 years? Better get penning your memoirs. Photos from the early days especially welcome, but if they include speedos then make sure safe for work please. Think of the children, or people who might be eating. Jorgan we were almost certainly at that race together, could well have been my brown parcel tape wheel-of-shame year.

Forgot to say how much I have enjoyed Tri Talk over the years too, always good for a bit of banter and occasional inspiration. Ttowel's posts have been among my favourite on both counts, also savaloy. Whenever life's problems are getting too much, I return to this thread and suddenly the world is OK again.

Cheers all Very Happy
mattsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the Tri Scene in Weymouth, until recently, as I left in 1991 age 19. My passion was windsurfing, so was a frequent visitor. However, I have done a few triathlons in Weymouth now, and it is nice when one's front door is 20m from the transition area.

I obviously had nothing to do with any ropiness of Weymouth town centre on Saturday night
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:

ExplorerJC - Definitely write up your story- would love to read that. Did we meet at Powerman UK a few years back?
[b]

You see Fat Buddha, someone loves me....but not enough to mention me in their history of the sport... Rolling Eyes

Yes FT - we did meet at PM UK, although i can't remember which year...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the Weymouth Middle a few years ago now; swim was shortened to ~1k due to the conditions. I remember the descent back to T2 being pretty hairy too with the onshore winds. Won my AG obv Wink Very Happy

Fruit Thief - 25 years inc Cornwall and no mention of the infamous Perranporth Tri? The meanest baddest swim of them all.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:
Jorgan we were almost certainly at that race together, could well have been my brown parcel tape wheel-of-shame year.

At least you finished! My disintegrating rear hub was a Zipp wheel I bought with some of my Student Loan (second year of them iirc). Got a replacement thankfully.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kudos FB for organising events, you guys are the ones who make all this possible.

no - not an organiser, that's an EO. I'm a TO - Technical Official aka Referee - but an important part of the whole process and one of the people who makes sure the sport remains fair for all, enjoyable and athletes understand and adhere to the rules.
fat buddha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
fruit thief wrote:

[b]You see Fat Buddha, someone loves me
....but not enough to mention me in their history of the sport... Rolling Eyes

I'll let you have one supporter..... Razz
fat buddha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whenever life's problems are getting too much, I return to this thread and suddenly the world is OK again.

LOL - I missed that one at the time - what a cracker!

wasn't there a great thread about Dulcolax as well - or maybe I'm mixing that up with another forum??
explorerJC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
fruit thief wrote:

[b]You see Fat Buddha, someone loves me
....but not enough to mention me in their history of the sport... Rolling Eyes

I'll let you have one supporter..... Razz

Smile

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
JeffB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed reading, well done on getting to 25 years, and for a poor runner 37 min 10k and 1:22 half isn't that shoddy Smile

I think I'm upto about 13 years but could be 15, I know I started in my mid 30's when I was bored of football and the injuries.

Keep up the Kona dream, I've cooled a bit on that one, but not totally given up. The easiest route would have been the legacy\loyalty, in my IM's I've been as high up as 13th but usually in the 20's but only about 30 minutes off a slot on bad days.

Jeff
iainm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved that write up. Some parallels there with my history and wish I had the energy still to put all together as well as you have.

My first tri was 26 years ago next month, organised by QUT in Brisbane. I buckled my front wheel while falling off in a dead turn on the bike leg, which was along the riverbank path. So a DNF for my first race, but have been back for many (120 to date) since.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:

Jorgan, Mungo[/b] - do I hear 25 years? Better get penning your memoirs. Photos from the early days especially welcome, but if they include speedos then make sure safe for work please. Think of the children, or people who might be eating. Jorgan we were almost certainly at that race together, could well have been my brown parcel tape wheel-of-shame year.

I've probably written quite enough on here in the last 10+ years!

My first race was at Wadebridge, on 14th August 1992 aged 18. Most definitely done in trunks (unpadded) with a cut-off Asics running vest & a pair of classic bright orange Air Mariahs. Did it on a MTB. Came 14th. I had a lot more hair then. The following year I bought a road bike - Ridgeback Rapide with RX100 gruppo mail order from Paul Milnes Cycles. I also bought my first pair of Oakleys in '93, Sub Zero #1, which I still have! The roadbike with Scott clip-on aero bars made a big difference vs the MTB, and I picked-up a few Junior wins in that year.

My first triathlon career then lasted until '98, when I joined the RAF. Up to that point I had worked my way up to top 5 finishes in races like Perranporth & Newquay and top 3 in many others, but never raced futher than Oly Dist. It's a regret that I didn't continue my hobby in my mid-late 20s, as the services are great for that kind of thing. However I did do a lot of mountaineering at home & abroad, which was a great experience and involved a lot of physical and mental struggle in the high Alps/Andes - much like Ironman Rolling Eyes Smile

Like many things, fate played it's part in my return to this great sport. On my return from a posting in Iraq, I was due to learn Italian for 9 months & go to Italy as a Liaison Officer in the north of the country. Naturally I was salivating at it's proximity to the Alps & Dolomites. But in the early part of that tour, someone decided that Italian post was expensive and they weren't going to renew it (in they end they did, but too late for me). It was a bad week out in the desert - I was gutted that my Italian job had turned to some boring role in the south of England. But then I asked again, and oh, there was an LO job in Bavaria coming-up. O.M.G. salvation! So I headed-off for a year-long German course out in Rheindahlen, then down to Erding. Fully expecting to be immersed in the mountains once more. But whilst there on the course, an old hernia issue flared up badly and I had to have a double hernia Op which meant no running for quite some time....

It was coming into Spring, and I was riding to & from the gym (to do my cross trainer rehab) on an old MTB. I wanted a bit more speed on the smooth German roads, so I hunched down, forearms resting on the handlebars...this immediately felt familiar. Hmm. If I can't run, I could ride a bike, and hey, there's an outdoor 50m pool opening soon. I was down to the 'Natex' a week later and spanked 1800 on a tax-free Giant TCR Carbon. Triathlon was already huge in Germany back then. There was a Sprint Tri at the end of June on Camp before I left for Bavaria. There was a challenge, a goal. I then spent 2 months obsessing over it and putting in all the training I could (no kids back then and I was living apart from Mrs O). I did the race, I came 4th. Muthaaa fukkaaa (in your best Samuel L Jackson)....I was back!

The mountains fell by the wayside (in the main), and that August in my second Tri in 10 years, I did my longest ever Tri (1/53/12k) and the rest my friends, is history. The following year I did my first HIM & then Roth, and now we're 7 Ironmans and countless other events down the road.
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for sharing. Smile

and most importantly, what were your 07 IMUK Sherborne splits?

1998 Scarborough Olympic was my first btw. So thats 20 years ago now! Shocked
94IM+11DIM+D+3Q+4T=153IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
fruit thief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iainm wrote:
(120 to date)

... that's a lot of races. How is the body holding up? I have a few creaks around the hips these days and am taking a long hard look at whether I carry on competing or take a sabbatical, thinking of the long game. Doing pilates and gym work much more than when younger & needing it too.

jeffB wrote:
...football and the injuries...

Thanks for your comments & 30 mins is definitely within shouting distance. Have your football injuries been OK with tri?

jorgan wrote:
...Oakleys...

Can't believe they have lasted so long! There's quality for you. Nice story by the way- I always assumed you were German from your posts and race history, guess not - interesting places you have been.

Toyota_Crown wrote:
07 IMUK splits?

Not fast, had a bit of a mechanical as one aero bar snapped off. Didn't you do that race too? Some denim perhaps??
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit thief wrote:

Can't believe they have lasted so long! There's quality for you. Nice story by the way- I always assumed you were German from your posts and race history, guess not - interesting places you have been.

Leider nicht, komme ich aus Plymouth. ein sogenannte 'Janner' Wink We have found ourselves settling 10 miles north of Bath; although being nearer the sea would be nice, but I never missed that in Bavaria, as there were so many great lakes to swim in... for free!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: