Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Fastest 10 mile TT Thread - 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the local club 10 last night, I was testing out the new skinsuit (TT not Tri), after about a mile a huge tractor with a trailer went past me and that was it, I freewheeled the next 4 miles to the turn, couldn't get past him and had to brake a few times.

There was a decent tailwind and it was downhill, so managed 22:30 and a course PB for me I think, previous was 23:00 give or take a few seconds.

On the one hand just doing 6 miles of effort helped as I've got a 70.3 tomorrow, but I'd have liked to know how fast I'd have been without the tractor.

So, I won't be counting this!

Jeff
FatPom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
I did the local club 10 last night, I was testing out the new skinsuit (TT not Tri), after about a mile a huge tractor with a trailer went past me and that was it, I freewheeled the next 4 miles to the turn, couldn't get past him and had to brake a few times.

There was a decent tailwind and it was downhill, so managed 22:30 and a course PB for me I think, previous was 23:00 give or take a few seconds.

On the one hand just doing 6 miles of effort helped as I've got a 70.3 tomorrow, but I'd have liked to know how fast I'd have been without the tractor.

So, I won't be counting this!

Jeff

Bad luck mate. Good luck with your HIM
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC Breckland 12 hour yesterday.

260 ish painful miles. Going like a train to about 8 hours, then the afternoon heat broke me (as it did many guys, especially the guns chasing the pointy end/BBAR) but rather than pack I noodled the last 3 hours at recovery pace to get the finish and it's a club record.

I think 270-275 is doable if I can get support (self supported yesterday, I was stationary for 12 minutes - also other guys had their drinks in cool boxes etc, mine were bloody boiling having been sat out in the sun in a shoebox all day....), taper properly and prepare myself to go deep in full 'race' mode. Maybe next year when the hold the National on this course.

Still good training ride, which was the intention.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, a few guys rode the entire event with a cap or skull cap rather than TT/Road helmet.

When we got off the dual carriageway onto the finishing circuit, single carriageway, quite a few more swapped out of their helmets for caps/skull caps.

Accept it was hot, and there's a few 'old school' guys who have never worn helmets - but a 12 hour with 8-9 hours on a DC? Certainly never seen as many riding without helmet: madness, IMO. If it had got too hot to wear a helmet (and it got close) I would have packed, rather than take that additional risk on an already high risk situation.

They'll look good and hipster on the photos though...
Doca

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:

260 ish painful miles. Going like a train to about 8 hours, then the afternoon heat broke me (as it did many guys, especially the guns chasing the pointy end/BBAR) but rather than pack I noodled the last 3 hours at recovery pace to get the finish and it's a club record.

I think 270-275 is doable if I can get support (self supported yesterday, I was stationary for 12 minutes - also other guys had their drinks in cool boxes etc, mine were bloody boiling having been sat out in the sun in a shoebox all day....), taper properly and prepare myself to go deep in full 'race' mode. Maybe next year when the hold the National on this course.

That is some effort in the heat, well done for sticking it out.
FatPom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doca wrote:
TRO Saracen wrote:

That is some effort in the heat, well done for sticking it out.

Couldn't have said it better, that's a blinding effort TRO
JeffB

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent riding TRO, and for keeping going when it got really hot. Think I saw a few at the National 100 getting passed bottles that were chilled. Even if you froze them first they'd soon defrost at that heat.

I never used to ride with a helmet on except when racing, partly because my dad never made me as a kid! But after a few reckless driver moments a few years ago I always wear one, except maybe if I'm having an easy ride to work where I rarely go on the roads and I'm on the MTB.

But I don't understand why people race without them, and as you say on DC's. Really think this is where the governing body should take some responsibility, I know they'll get whingers but they'd only be upsetting < 1% really.

Are you doing the national 50 that was rearranged?

Jeff
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my first ever 25 & 30 TT on our local Somerleyton course recently, 1:04;16 & 1:17;53, not the fastest but a decent start and our course isn't overly fast anyway.

Also signed up to a 50 at the start of September on the B50/20 which I believe should be a pretty quick course so hoping to get as close as possible to the 2 hour mark!
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey see you on the B50/20 Smile
Wheezy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great effort TRO. Very Happy

Two club mates rode that event and had contrasting days. One broke our club record riding 276m while our best female rider really suffered. She normally comfortably rides 220 ish miles on a road bike on a slower course but only managed 200. She was early disappointed but really suffered in the heat.

Nice one BPS. Good to see the time trialling bug has bitten. Iíve gone the other way and really struggling with motivation but will have another crack at a 12 hr next year as prep for the Paris-Brest-Paris audax.
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Hey see you on the B50/20 Smile
Cool, only time you may see me is when you fly past! Smile Never done a ride on the A11 so little nervous! Shocked
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
Nice one BPS. Good to see the time trialling bug has bitten. Iíve gone the other way and really struggling with motivation but will have another crack at a 12 hr next year as prep for the Paris-Brest-Paris audax.
Bug has def bitten, as soon as I finish i'm thinking of the next one, so I can get faster! Need to get myself a skinsuit too, that may help a bit with the speed!
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BPS I know the roads around Somerleyton and if you did 1:04 then sub 2 hours on the A11 is more than possible if we get a quickish day.

Some A11 pointers:
- there's a rough bit at the Wymondham end - not as bad as it used to be or the notorious A31 Chawton end but rough enough. About 2 miles before and after the turn, plus the ramps up to and down from the turn. I put an extra layer of foam secured with elastic bands on my arm pads for longer A11 tts.
- definitely have a bright rear light - I'd recommend (and ride with) a flashing front light as well. Aero penalty not significant for us normal folk and it helps when cars join the A11 and glance back before pulling out.
- not sure what the turns are on this variant, but if they use the Snetterton one its a labyrinth of 4 (!!) roundabouts.
- it's rolling rather than flat, you may run out of gears downhill/downwind.

It's E2 quick apart from the more complex, longer turns and the rough bit, you'll enjoy the speed, first time it feels amazing!!
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, looking forward to it now! Smile

Already got a decent rear light, but nothing suitable for the front, any recommendations?
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluepoolshark wrote:
Wheezy wrote:
Bug has def bitten, as soon as I finish i'm thinking of the next one, so I can get faster! Need to get myself a skinsuit too, that may help a bit with the speed!

Good man. Iím done until after IM Wales. I usually give the Thruxton Circuit Champs a nudge though Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 12 of 16

Jump to: