Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Fastest 10 mile TT Thread - 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
Did the Charlotteville 50 today which has now become my staple early season longer TT. A personal worst on the course at 2:06:14. It was a pretty ropey morning and I never properly warmed up. I had also tinkered with my position as the day before I'd put new bars on and given my Argon a bit of a service, and ended up with very tight hamstrings. Lots of excuses and not much speed. I've got a club 10 in a couple of weeks so I'm going to try to do some short, hurty TrainerRoad stuff on the turbo. Mad

Freezing cold, crosswind, are you sure it wasn't just the conditions?
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
Did the Charlotteville 50 today which has now become my staple early season longer TT. A personal worst on the course at 2:06:14. It was a pretty ropey morning and I never properly warmed up. I had also tinkered with my position as the day before I'd put new bars on and given my Argon a bit of a service, and ended up with very tight hamstrings. Lots of excuses and not much speed. I've got a club 10 in a couple of weeks so I'm going to try to do some short, hurty TrainerRoad stuff on the turbo. Mad

2:06 doesn't sound too bad for an early season 50 on a rough day.

Jeff
JeffB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B10/9 24/3/18 23:50 TRO Saracen Winner S Fairweather 22:20
T105/4 28/4/18 24:49 JeffB Winner B Hetherington 19:58 AP 282W

So, 10 miles of torture for me, still using my my Ti road bike but have now taken off the mudguards and put on my 303's, and it has clip-ons, but didn't go with full skinsuit etc.

Cool breezy day with a headwind for the first half, which was still in your face a bit when I turned for the first half mile. Was very pleased with the time and power, HR was a bit off max as well. The winner was about 1 minute off his course record and I've got a feeling he might have a 17 to his name on another course.

Might even dig out the TT bike at some point and pointy helmet.

Jeff
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

52:48 for me on E2/25.

Drizzly filth all morning and I was 50:50 to ride, but it just about semi dried for the race. Wind was Northerly which is favourable for E2. Faffing cold, during my 'warm up' shot back to the car to get full gloves and was shivering on the start line.

Reached the turn with 30mph ave speed, with tailwind. Theory is that E2 is a bit more sheltered for the headwind back but it didn't feel that way, average speed dropped throughout but I dug in.

It's a PB by 1 second, took 5W more than the old PB so a decent day speedwise but not super quick, guessing the cold dampness and extra layers etc didn't help either.
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:

I also raced. My first 50. I was actually quite happy with 2:12. Proper cyclists are just so fast ... how the winners averaged over 30mph is staggering!

Conditions were tough like you said. The cold, and the road surface, really beat me up. It's also made me realise how many micro rests you get in a triathlon, just taking sharp corners or whatever. On a dual carriageway like this, I only broke the aero position three times in total, and two of those were for the roundabout that was compulsory to take on the base bar. I could not have run immediately afterwards! (I did manage 60mins later in the afternoon)

Was a bit of a disaster in terms of Mallorca 70.3 prep. Power meter died on the way to the start, meaning I had no data other that speed and HR. With that said, I'm actually really pleased how I paced it. My only judge on relative pace was when I passed the start line. I was #14, as I passed at the end of the first big lap, #68 had just been released so I knew it had taken me 54mins. On the second lap, #122 was still waiting to start, so I had gone slightly faster than 54mins. I'll take that pacing considering the lack of any meaningful data.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Stenard, great first effort.

It's a bit of shock when you first start hitting the open TT events, just how bloody fast some people can ride a bike, and far worse, just how smooth and effortless they make it look in doing so. Blew my mind early on. But I resolved to try and learn and become more like them.

Nowhere near yet, but have improved massively in the 5 years since...nearly everything I;ve learned about riding a bike faster has come from competing in TT's.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Wheezy wrote:

I also raced. My first 50. I was actually quite happy with 2:12. Proper cyclists are just so fast ... how the winners averaged over 30mph is staggering!

Conditions were tough like you said. The cold, and the road surface, really beat me up. It's also made me realise how many micro rests you get in a triathlon, just taking sharp corners or whatever. On a dual carriageway like this, I only broke the aero position three times in total, and two of those were
for the roundabout that was compulsory to take on the base bar. I could not have run immediately afterwards! (I did manage 60mins later in the afternoon)

Was a bit of a disaster in terms of Mallorca 70.3 prep. Power meter died on the way to the start, meaning I had no data other that speed and HR. With that said, I'm actually really pleased how I paced it. My only judge on relative pace was when I passed the start line. I was #14, as I passed at the end of the first big lap, #68 had just been released so I knew it had taken me 54mins. On the second lap, #122 was still waiting to start, so I had gone slightly faster than 54mins. I'll take that pacing considering the lack of any meaningful data.

Nice one Stenard. Had I known Iíd have said hi. Iím promoting an end of season 50 on the same course early September if you fancy going back for more! 😀

I really have got to properly sort my position out though. Iím considering getting a tt bike fit at some point, but right now I just need to get comfortable. Iím planning on doing the 100 and 12 hour on the same course, so thatís going to be fundamental and at the moment I canít see me finishing either of them without some serious tweaks.

TRO: great riding mate!
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the 12hour and 100 on that course wheezy.

I did that pairing back in 2015, and my aris has only just about started to forgive me.

So far I have resolutely stuck to my 'never again' promise after the 12hr, even though it was a fantastic event. It simply wipes out too much IM training.

I'd think about some way of doubling up the arm pads - gives you extra cushioning and also softens your position a fraction which helps given the extreme distance. I made my own up from sticky backed foam sheets with Velcro pads - I have single, double and triple thick pads which I can interchange depending on length of TT and smoothness of road.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Good luck with the 12hour and 100 on that course wheezy.

I did that pairing back in 2015, and my aris has only just about started to forgive me.

So far I have resolutely stuck to my 'never again' promise after the 12hr, even though it was a fantastic event. It simply wipes out too much IM training.

I'd think about some way of doubling up the arm pads - gives you extra cushioning and also softens your position a fraction which helps given the extreme distance. I made my own up from sticky backed foam sheets with Velcro pads - I have single, double and triple thick pads which I can interchange depending on length of TT and smoothness of road.

Cheers TRO. Yes, that's something I've already been thinking about. I completed a 12h at the ECCA event in 2016 and had a really enjoyable day. Did the 12hr on the A31 course last year and only lasted 4 hours! Mainly due to very bad pacing on a very windy day, but I had other comfort issues too. I think as well as putting extra bar pads on, I'm going to put some tubigrips on my forearms and slap on a load of vaseline, as the poor road surface, even on the 50 at the weekend was making me get very sore.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:

Cheers TRO. Yes, that's something I've already been thinking about. I completed a 12h at the ECCA event in 2016 and had a really enjoyable day. Did the 12hr on the A31 course last year and only lasted 4 hours! Mainly due to very bad pacing on a very windy day, but I had other comfort issues too. I think as well as putting extra bar pads on, I'm going to put some tubigrips on my forearms and slap on a load of vaseline, as the poor road surface, even on the 50 at the weekend was making me get very sore.

It's good to know even experienced TTers found it rough going!

Have actually written up my experience of the day here: https://stenardstuff.wordpress.com/2018/05/01/charlotteville-h50-8-time-trial/

I'd intended to try and do a 100 as part of my build towards my first full IM later in the summer. I did a 180k ride on my training camp just over a week ago and felt pretty good and it was a confidence booster. After this weekend, the thought of a 100TT is rather worrying!
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Wheezy wrote:

It's good to know even experienced TTers found it rough going!

Have actually written up my experience of the day here: https://stenardstuff.wordpress.com/2018/05/01/charlotteville-h50-8-time-trial/

I'd intended to try and do a 100 as part of my build towards my first full IM later in the summer. I did a 180k ride on my training camp just over a week ago and felt pretty good and it was a confidence booster. After this weekend, the thought of a 100TT is rather worrying!

Nice write-up Stenard Smile made me chuckle when you said you were shouting at the road; I was doing exactly the same thing at one point. The section of road coming off the Holybourne rbt going south had me wincing everytime I went over it and they were the bumps that caused my bars to move.
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

I remember at the end of the 12 hour I was doing like a horse riding 'rising trot' style of riding trying to time lifting my arse off the saddle before each of the thunderous bumps.

Great report, thanks.
Bluepoolshark

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PB for me yesterday on the B10/43. Second ever TT and I managed a 23:38, so a massive 3:17 trimmed off my poor first attempt on the same course! Smile
TriSam

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ride, well done! If you keep it up at that rate, you'll be in some rainbow stripes soon
TRO Saracen

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work BPS.

My local 'moderately quick' course is the B10/43, I was away for the event but some lads I know said it was not a quick day (despite the pleasant weather) so your time is even better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: