Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Fastest 10 mile TT Thread - 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
FatPom




Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 5287
Location: My happy place

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat5 in the Hat wrote:
Iím back into TTing after having a hip repair last summer. Took a few weeks to get back in to the swing of things, but I have remembered how to push hard.
Cadence is down by ~10rpm since 2016.

B10/9 24/3/18 23:50 TRO Saracen Winner S Fairweather 22:20
T105/4 28/4/18 24:49 JeffB Winner B Hetherington 19:58 AP 282W
H10/2 19/5/18 23:42 Cat5 Winner J Boyman 19:23 AP 238W


Nice work mate, good to hear you are back Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wheezy




Joined: 10 Oct 2007
Posts: 1779
Location: Sub 3 (elect)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FatPom wrote:
Cat5 in the Hat wrote:
Iím back into TTing after having a hip repair last summer. Took a few weeks to get back in to the swing of things, but I have remembered how to push hard.
Cadence is down by ~10rpm since 2016.

B10/9 24/3/18 23:50 TRO Saracen Winner S Fairweather 22:20
T105/4 28/4/18 24:49 JeffB Winner B Hetherington 19:58 AP 282W
H10/2 19/5/18 23:42 Cat5 Winner J Boyman 19:23 AP 238W


Nice work mate, good to hear you are back Cool


Nice one Cat5. Must feel good to be back Smile

Interesting morning for me. Rode the Hounslow 100 on the Bentley course. It was a pretty good morning. My first time riding a tt with a power meter so wanted to use this ride to help me pace the 12 hour on the same course next month. All was going pretty well, as Iíd planned to start pretty conservatively and went through the first 25 in 1:03. Just gone past the Hen and Chicken pub to see a car on the other side of the road on its roof. Obviously a race abandonment, but carried on up to the top turn before heading back to the hq. I spoke to a guy who was flagging down traffic to get them to slow up, turns out this guy was drunk and disqualified from driving, undertook a few other vehicles before clipping the central reservation and rolling the car. Itís a miracle he didnít kill anyone. What with the E2 event being cancelled, itís leaving little opportunity for the BBAR people to get a fast 100 in.

Anyway, I realised I need to lose a tooth on my smallest sprocket; power well down on the downhill sections. A shame, but could have been a lot worse.
_________________
If it was easy, everyone would do it.
My Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FatPom




Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 5287
Location: My happy place

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
FatPom wrote:
Cat5 in the Hat wrote:
Iím back into TTing after having a hip repair last summer. Took a few weeks to get back in to the swing of things, but I have remembered how to push hard.
Cadence is down by ~10rpm since 2016.

B10/9 24/3/18 23:50 TRO Saracen Winner S Fairweather 22:20
T105/4 28/4/18 24:49 JeffB Winner B Hetherington 19:58 AP 282W
H10/2 19/5/18 23:42 Cat5 Winner J Boyman 19:23 AP 238W


Nice work mate, good to hear you are back Cool


Nice one Cat5. Must feel good to be back Smile

Interesting morning for me. Rode the Hounslow 100 on the Bentley course. It was a pretty good morning. My first time riding a tt with a power meter so wanted to use this ride to help me pace the 12 hour on the same course next month. All was going pretty well, as Iíd planned to start pretty conservatively and went through the first 25 in 1:03. Just gone past the Hen and Chicken pub to see a car on the other side of the road on its roof. Obviously a race abandonment, but carried on up to the top turn before heading back to the hq. I spoke to a guy who was flagging down traffic to get them to slow up, turns out this guy was drunk and disqualified from driving, undertook a few other vehicles before clipping the central reservation and rolling the car. Itís a miracle he didnít kill anyone. What with the E2 event being cancelled, itís leaving little opportunity for the BBAR people to get a fast 100 in.

Anyway, I realised I need to lose a tooth on my smallest sprocket; power well down on the downhill sections. A shame, but could have been a lot worse.


Shame about your race but you're home safe, that's the main thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TRO Saracen




Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Posts: 1233

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard about that Wheezy - this from the TTF forum:

'I was the rider he missed on the carriageway. All a bit exciting as I heard roar of a very fast car and then he came past me beginning to spin, felt like he was going sideways as he past, wheels clipped the grass verge of central reservation and he flipped, I would say twice and landed on his roof heading towards the other carriageway and I could see a rider (Polly) on the other side. (Realise now that I would make a terrible witness.) She rode through his dust cloud. Thankfully the soft ground slowed the car and it came to rest on reservation and outer lane. Police confirmed to me when I reported in that he was over the drink drive limit and already a disqualified driver. How he walked away I do not know.'

Glad everyone was safe.

100's seemed ill fated this year - I'd entered B100/9 - cancelled due to excessive and dangerous potholes, and E2/100 - cancelled due to roadworks 50 miles away which would potentially throw extra traffic onto the E2 route.

Remember mulling over the Hounslow, Sunday vs Anfield, Monday a month or so back

Fortunately I'd opted to do the Anfield 100, genuinely marvellous and historic event on sporting roads. Beaten to a pulp over 100 miles for 4:16 but loved it. How guys rode low 3:4x's I cannot even begin to explain.
_________________
2018: IM Wales and Florida. Let the games begin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TRO Saracen




Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Posts: 1233

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news, the V is back from the dead:


At a meeting of the Yorkshire District Committee of CTT held last Monday the following was decided.

The remaining midweek events (27th June, 4th July, 12th July) originally scheduled on the V718 will be allowed subject to the following.
1) Events to start at 19:15
2) Events will be limited to 75 riders.
3) A traffic count is taken for the duration of each event by an independent official.


No Saturday events will be allowed.

Promoting clubs with events scheduled for Saturday's can apply to run events on Sunday morning instead, subject to the following.
1) All riders will need to be off the A63 by 09:30
2) The events are organised by experienced organisers.
3) The District Committee is satisfied with the proposed event HQ.
4) A traffic count is taken for the duration of each event by an independent official.

The District Committee will also consider applications for new events on Sunday mornings from clubs that promote on the V718. Such applications must also satisfy the above criteria.
_________________
2018: IM Wales and Florida. Let the games begin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jibberjim




Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Posts: 8332
Location: Kingston

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
Jim, thanks very much! I think Iv'e had another change of plan and will aim to get my xlab seat bottles on. Will keep you posted though!


As I've just heard we have a convenient opportunity to pass it over to you with zero effort, you're welcome to try it out?
_________________
Jibbering Sports Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Wheezy




Joined: 10 Oct 2007
Posts: 1779
Location: Sub 3 (elect)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Wheezy wrote:
Jim, thanks very much! I think Iv'e had another change of plan and will aim to get my xlab seat bottles on. Will keep you posted though!


As I've just heard we have a convenient opportunity to pass it over to you with zero effort, you're welcome to try it out?


Ok mate. That would be fab. Thank you!
_________________
If it was easy, everyone would do it.
My Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TRO Saracen




Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Posts: 1233

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the Tour of Cambs Chrono (closed road TT, UCI event with Qualification slots for the UCI World masters in Italy) on Saturday. I'd done this a couple of times 3/4 years ago and qualified quite easily in M45-49 not taking the slot either time. I wasn't going to take one this time as it clashes with IM wales and converting your bike to UCI regs is an utter ballache, but still wanted the M50-54 slot to turn down.

Just finished warming up and my front tub blew. Disaster! Shot back to the car where I did have a spare front wheel - slower, clincher with a heavier tyre so stuck that on and rolled off to the start, making it, just....rode hard but frenzied, assumed I'd got a slot so waited around for the Qualifier medal....and I'd made the last slot by 6 seconds. Standard of this event has shot up now its established, I'd ridden well and put time onto some guys who normally have seconds between us, so I wasn't #@?#. Some very good riders missed out, standard is now like the CTT Nationals.

In hindsight I was a bit casual, but now know what it is now, I have entered next year and will have to make it a priority event.

TTing on closed roads still does my nut in, taking the racing line on corners on the wrong side of the road still gives me a shudder as keep thinking I'll plough head on into a car....
_________________
2018: IM Wales and Florida. Let the games begin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1812

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Did the Tour of Cambs Chrono (closed road TT, UCI event with Qualification slots for the UCI World masters in Italy) on Saturday. I'd done this a couple of times 3/4 years ago and qualified quite easily in M45-49 not taking the slot either time. I wasn't going to take one this time as it clashes with IM wales and converting your bike to UCI regs is an utter ballache, but still wanted the M50-54 slot to turn down.

Just finished warming up and my front tub blew. Disaster! Shot back to the car where I did have a spare front wheel - slower, clincher with a heavier tyre so stuck that on and rolled off to the start, making it, just....rode hard but frenzied, assumed I'd got a slot so waited around for the Qualifier medal....and I'd made the last slot by 6 seconds. Standard of this event has shot up now its established, I'd ridden well and put time onto some guys who normally have seconds between us, so I wasn't #@?#. Some very good riders missed out, standard is now like the CTT Nationals.

In hindsight I was a bit casual, but now know what it is now, I have entered next year and will have to make it a priority event.

TTing on closed roads still does my nut in, taking the racing line on corners on the wrong side of the road still gives me a shudder as keep thinking I'll plough head on into a car....
Does the highlighted bit mean you can ride the ToC chrono with a non-UCI legal setup? It's only the final that you'd need to have it UCI legal? (not something that would be a consideration for me!)

If so, that does make riding the Chrono more appealing. I had always assumed as it is billed as a UCI TT that the bike would need to be UCI legal for that race as well. Which is just a lot of faff in terms of stripping bits off from my Tri setup. I imagine it would actually be a good race to practice at, as a lot of CTT courses require no bike handling skills which often actually play a part in many tri bike routes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TRO Saracen




Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Posts: 1233

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the letter of the rules is UCI compliant, but no no one checks and no one bothers for the qualifiers.

Finals are different and guys I know have had a nightmare setting their bikes up legally and then trying to ride in an unfamiliar position, they all Q'd in their 'normal' position.

So, yes, do the Chrono and don't worry about position. PS Entries opened today and likely to sell out (if not already done so) - although they do tend to release further batches later.
_________________
2018: IM Wales and Florida. Let the games begin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1264
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
Heard about that Wheezy - this from the TTF forum:

'I was the rider he missed on the carriageway. All a bit exciting as I heard roar of a very fast car and then he came past me beginning to spin, felt like he was going sideways as he past, wheels clipped the grass verge of central reservation and he flipped, I would say twice and landed on his roof heading towards the other carriageway and I could see a rider (Polly) on the other side. (Realise now that I would make a terrible witness.) She rode through his dust cloud. Thankfully the soft ground slowed the car and it came to rest on reservation and outer lane. Police confirmed to me when I reported in that he was over the drink drive limit and already a disqualified driver. How he walked away I do not know.'

Glad everyone was safe.

100's seemed ill fated this year - I'd entered B100/9 - cancelled due to excessive and dangerous potholes, and E2/100 - cancelled due to roadworks 50 miles away which would potentially throw extra traffic onto the E2 route.

Remember mulling over the Hounslow, Sunday vs Anfield, Monday a month or so back

Fortunately I'd opted to do the Anfield 100, genuinely marvellous and historic event on sporting roads. Beaten to a pulp over 100 miles for 4:16 but loved it. How guys rode low 3:4x's I cannot even begin to explain.


It's a shame people like this feel the need to keep driving and risk killing people, let's hope he gets some time indoors this time!

Probably a bit of a treck but I think there's a 100 on a Yorkshire course but with bits on the A19DC, which should be relatively quick, there's another one near York, which has about 20 metres of climbing in total but the roads are really slow, no traffic either.

I'm still waiting on the National 100, which might get more popular with races being cancelled etc.

I must be quite lucky, there's about 4 100's within about 100 miles, most closer, although 2 are fairly slow.

I've entered a 25 & 50 in the coming weeks, 50 is a fairly slow course but good training.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1812

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRO Saracen wrote:
I think the letter of the rules is UCI compliant, but no no one checks and no one bothers for the qualifiers.

Finals are different and guys I know have had a nightmare setting their bikes up legally and then trying to ride in an unfamiliar position, they all Q'd in their 'normal' position.

So, yes, do the Chrono and don't worry about position. PS Entries opened today and likely to sell out (if not already done so) - although they do tend to release further batches later.

What about stuff like BTA and BTS bottles and cages? Those are more obvious UCI illegal aspects arent they? Although maybe I'm wrong? I can definitely see they arent going to start measuring front of saddle to BB distances etc of every competitor at the ToC. The BTA bit would be a faff to remove though, mainly because it was a massive faff to get installed in the first place!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1264
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did the local course again tonight, breezy night going into the wind most of the way but didn't seem to get much assistance coming back.

AP was 296W but only managed 25:02 on my P5 with 404's and an aero road helmet. This was slower than last time on my Ti road bike!

Wondering if there is an invisible parachute behind me! Either that or the power meter is on the fritz.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TriSam




Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 1271
Location: Tunbridge Wells

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First 25 of the year on the G25/89 on Sunday morning. Made the stupid error of leaving my Garmin turned on overnight after pre-loading my route and pacing strategy, which left me in the dark with respect to power/speed/time/distance/heart rate and all other useful information.

Subsequently was pretty cooked by the final 5 miles and rolled home in 58:12, over a minute slower than my course PB.

Good lesson learnt though, both in pacing and in tech management!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TRO Saracen




Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Posts: 1233

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's bad, but well done on a 58 and getting within a minute of your course PB

But it's not as bad as when I had something pressed against my DI2 buttons on the drive down to a 50 and ran the power down....had to ride it single speed... Rolling Eyes

Couple of 10's coming up for me on THursday eve and Sat pm. Fast-ish courses, not E2/V718 quick but reasonable. One of them is probably E2 quick on the out and back but the 'turn' is a labyrinth of 4 roundabouts which blows any chance of a quick overall time.
_________________
2018: IM Wales and Florida. Let the games begin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 7 of 16
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.