Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
carbon frame painting

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
virgilioroland




Joined: 10 Jan 2018
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: carbon frame painting Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone here has done this and how. My Cervelo is still in reasonable condition but there are a few scuffs here and there and wonder whether to treat the old girl to a new paint job. Any suggestions too grateful to receive!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
awildt




Joined: 08 Apr 2011
Posts: 645
Location: sunny (!) NW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it done professionally and you will have a "like new" bike. Bit of an investment but less than a new frame replacement.

I know of Target Composites in Cheshire. Not involved in the business but he is a friend of a friend and have seen his work. Tiny workshop but amazing quality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat buddha




Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Posts: 2430
Location: rural Zuzzex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know where the OP is based, but Enigma Bikes in Hailsham, East Sussex - they are best known as builders of beautiful Ti bikes - have a paintshop that will do custom paint jobs.

http://www.enigmabikes.com/paintworks/
_________________
And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1116
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
don't know where the OP is based, but Enigma Bikes in Hailsham, East Sussex - they are best known as builders of beautiful Ti bikes - have a paintshop that will do custom paint jobs.

http://www.enigmabikes.com/paintworks/


If their paintwork is as good as there bikes they should be a safe bet.

There is one local to me in North Yorkshire but he's a bit like the A Team, if you can find, maybe you can hire him!

It's easiest to go via Fibrelyte who fix carbon and get him to do the resprays, they repaired a chip in my P3 a few years ago and you couldn't actually see where it had been the paint match was that good. Of course you'd probably have to post it.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat buddha




Joined: 13 Jul 2004
Posts: 2430
Location: rural Zuzzex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffB wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
don't know where the OP is based, but Enigma Bikes in Hailsham, East Sussex - they are best known as builders of beautiful Ti bikes - have a paintshop that will do custom paint jobs.

http://www.enigmabikes.com/paintworks/


If their paintwork is as good as there bikes they should be a safe bet.

There is one local to me in North Yorkshire but he's a bit like the A Team, if you can find, maybe you can hire him!

It's easiest to go via Fibrelyte who fix carbon and get him to do the resprays, they repaired a chip in my P3 a few years ago and you couldn't actually see where it had been the paint match was that good. Of course you'd probably have to post it.

Jeff


I have an Enigma (and their predecessor, Omega) bike so maybe I'm a bit biased! But they are a standard Ti finish not painted but I have seen some of their paint jobs and they really are top class.
_________________
And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JamieMcP




Joined: 01 Feb 2006
Posts: 4782
Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into this a few years ago, can't really add anything about painters except to say a lot of it is in the prep and removing the old paint.
_________________
Blogtastic My Athlinks PageTwitter

So many races so little time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jorgan




Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 16560
Location: alles was ich bin, alles was ich war

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one done in a car bodyshop when I lived Germany; they used an Audi pearlescent white I believe. Good results. Like others said, it's the removing the old paint that's the labour intensive bit for carbon, as they can't dip/strip or blast it.
_________________
25 Years since it all began....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JeffB




Joined: 04 May 2008
Posts: 1116
Location: Middlesbrough

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat buddha wrote:
JeffB wrote:
fat buddha wrote:
don't know where the OP is based, but Enigma Bikes in Hailsham, East Sussex - they are best known as builders of beautiful Ti bikes - have a paintshop that will do custom paint jobs.

http://www.enigmabikes.com/paintworks/


If their paintwork is as good as there bikes they should be a safe bet.

There is one local to me in North Yorkshire but he's a bit like the A Team, if you can find, maybe you can hire him!

It's easiest to go via Fibrelyte who fix carbon and get him to do the resprays, they repaired a chip in my P3 a few years ago and you couldn't actually see where it had been the paint match was that good. Of course you'd probably have to post it.

Jeff


I have an Enigma (and their predecessor, Omega) bike so maybe I'm a bit biased! But they are a standard Ti finish not painted but I have seen some of their paint jobs and they really are top class.


I've got an Enigma Ecroix, absolutely brilliant, got some 303's and put some clip-ons on it and used it some races at the back of last season.

Jeff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.