Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Referendum 2: The return of the #@?#
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jibberjim




Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Posts: 8249
Location: Kingston

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
But I do take your point, however most who turn 18 will vote remain and most who have died will vote leave, if you take the demographics of the last vote at face value. So that will almost cancel itself out.


Erm, the move is in the same direction, not opposite directions to cancel out?
_________________
Jibbering Sports Stuff
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 15301
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
SGreg wrote:
But I do take your point, however most who turn 18 will vote remain and most who have died will vote leave, if you take the demographics of the last vote at face value. So that will almost cancel itself out.


Erm, the move is in the same direction, not opposite directions to cancel out?


indeed...no idea of the numbers, but this would be in favour of remain...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SGreg




Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 949
Location: High Peak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah OK, bit of a logic fail there sorry....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old Bob




Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 1929
Location: On the way back...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major swing could be in the turnout rate. On the assumption that the majority of those who didn't bother to vote last time felt they were happy with the status quo, then a higher turnout rate could significantly benefit remainers.

I think we can expect just as much BS as last time though... Rolling Eyes
_________________
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back in time for breakfast...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tin pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2522
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who says there’s going to be another referendum? Not mentioned in the radio today?
_________________
Iron ‘17 16h11, '16 14h30
Half Iron ‘18 DNF, '17 7h39, 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 15301
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Bob wrote:
The major swing could be in the turnout rate. On the assumption that the majority of those who didn't bother to vote last time felt they were happy with the status quo, then a higher turnout rate could significantly benefit remainers.

I think we can expect just as much BS as last time though... Rolling Eyes


It's probable a lot of brexiteers would not vote again...
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gus




Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 2405
Location: Freezing my nads off in Aberdoom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly in the EU's modus operandi to engineer a second referendum when the first doesn't go their way, so they've got form.

However, having another one here would be just plain stupid - if it swings to Remain, division in this country will be so rife I dread to think where it would lead. There would be demands for 'best of three' etc. - complete stupidity. If it stays Leave, then the Remainers would still keep moaning.

I actually would be up for another one if I knew it would be a fair one - ie no more Project Fear and the tsunami of pro-EU propaganda. Of course it wouldn't be - the EU just doesn't do that. In a 'fair' referendum I genuinely think Leave would've won by over 60%.

What this country needs is for the Remainers to stop moaning and accept the result and actually support the Govt rather than perpetually undermining it. We're going to end up in a right sh1tty situation with an awful deal the way things are going. We seriously need to unite for all of our good.
_________________
BLOG now updating again!
In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big...

My 15 minutes of fame
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AndyS..




Joined: 13 Jun 2006
Posts: 4297
Location: Gotham

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted remain and if we do leave the EU I want the lightest of light Brexits but I can't see how it's democratic to suddenly have another vote without some major event happening to be the reason for another vote. Otherwise it is just a case of not liking the original answer and re-running it in the hope of a different outcome which makes referendums pointless.

If it were to be re-run, you'd only need the youth to turn up to change the outcome. As for the twat Farage, he'd completely changed his story by the time his evening radio show aired, saying he's calling for people to be prepared for a second referendum, not that he wanted one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
antht




Joined: 03 Jun 2013
Posts: 827
Location: West Midlands

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BREXIT an unbelievable waste of time and resource
_________________
http://thetrinerd.co.uk - The Tri Nerd, my Triathlon Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GrahamO




Joined: 10 Apr 2005
Posts: 10026
Location: United Arab Emirates or an airport

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Bob wrote:
The major swing could be in the turnout rate. On the assumption that the majority of those who didn't bother to vote last time felt they were happy with the status quo, then a higher turnout rate could significantly benefit remainers.

I think we can expect just as much BS as last time though... Rolling Eyes


No, the students wont turn up in the same numbers this time s they found out the Jeremy lied to them and they werent going to get their education cost written of, so they wont vote again for a decade because they will be sulking in a safe space somewhere.

Also, a lot of people who dont think the vote should be redone on principal will vote against hanging a decision fairly made.

And thirdly, many people who have seen the arrogance and appalling attitude of the Brussels bureaucrats will reasonably deice a vote for remain would result in even more collective abuse and having to pay even more to them.
_________________
Arguing with engineers is like wrestling in mud with a pig - after a while you realise they like it
newMan : I don't know why you think you can address me like that! Don't ever reply directly to any of my posts again please.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wheezy




Joined: 10 Oct 2007
Posts: 1668
Location: Sub 3 (elect)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we have a second referendum and it swings to remain, it just proves what a stupid way of making decisions referendums are.
_________________
If it was easy, everyone would do it.
My Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tin pot




Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Posts: 2522
Location: Bromley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezy wrote:
If we have a second referendum and it swings to remain, it just proves what a stupid way of making decisions referendums are.


If only someone had realised this ooh, say 3,000 years ago, it could’ve saved us a lot of bother.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ochlocracy
_________________
Iron ‘17 16h11, '16 14h30
Half Iron ‘18 DNF, '17 7h39, 6h28 '16 5h53
Olympic '16 3h18 '15 3h33, '13 3h36
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 15301
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antht wrote:
BREXIT an unbelievable waste of time and resource


Yep, the EU would have happily wasted it for Britain
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.