Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Help choosing a Trainerroad Plan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vilbs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Help choosing a Trainerroad Plan Reply with quote

Background: Each year (for the last 3 years) I have done an Ironman. Training hard for 7 months and then doing nothing and eating pies for 5 months.

Current plan: I've entered the Monster tri on 1st July (24 weeks away). It's 7 days long (5km swim then 4 days of 100miles each day, last day 50km run). So less intense than an ironman but much more cycling and potentially recovery issues.

Problem: I am keen to train with TrainerRoad but struggling choosing a plan - partly because the event is not a basic ironman (e.g. so much cycling, no run off the bike etc;) so my question is what training plan.

Options:
1. Full Distance Triathlon Base, Build and Specialty: I would drop the BRICs, and towards the end of Build I would add a few consecutive long rides. The problem here is that because I am late starting it is 4 weeks too long. So I guess I would cut the first 4 weeks of the Specialty?

2. Half Iron Triathlon base (which is 8 weeks) then full distance Build and Special.

3. Something else?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks.
tin pot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help choosing a Trainerroad Plan Reply with quote

vilbs wrote:
Background: Each year (for the last 3 years) I have done an Ironman. Training hard for 7 months and then doing nothing and eating pies for 5 months.

Similar story to me.

Iíd recommend low volume full distance plan. You cut the middle of speciality, so do weeks 1,2,7,8.

I did a combo of mid and high and burnt out last year - maybe you can take the training stress and hit the number of sessions I couldnít, but I donít feel I can recommend it.

The bits out of kilter is the massive bike leg. So using the Low volume plan as a base, I would add in extra bike sessions from the mid volume plan where I could. And where I can take it.

A 400 mile bike, Iím not sure how much you can train to, I guess itís more about executing very easily than becoming an uberbiker?

The half base doesnít get you where you need to be for the full build.
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
vilbs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thanks for that. I will do the full iron base, build and cut the middle of speciality. I will start with mid volume and if I start burning it reduce down to low. Cheers for the sanity check!
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ironman plans build in a lot of Brick work. I would drop this and focus on long bikes instead. You don't need the ability to run of the bike so it's wasted time really where you could be building bike endurance further.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it not be more worthwhile to do a bike specific plan (I think there is one for century rides?) and add in a bit of swim-run?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: