Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Schoeman
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SidSnot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Schoeman Reply with quote

Interesting...

https://sputniknews.com/world/201801171060833854-olympics-doping-schoeman-tested/

and Seb Kienle Tweeting today
Quote:
TUE Free since 1984. If someone has a health problem that needs to be treated with something that requires a TUE you should not be allowed to race

jibberjim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that right, the bronze medallist was doping, wonder who managed to beat a doper?
GrahamO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
Is that right, the bronze medallist was doping, wonder who managed to beat a doper?

If the doper was me, everyone still.
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that would make Jonny world champ also as he'd have been promoted one spot in the Mexico race and hence win the WTS?

What a farce
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:

What a farce

Twas ever thus...

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2018 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
hammerer wrote:

What a farce

Twas ever thus...

Its time for a massive overhaul of the system as its not fit for purpose. Too many loopholes, too many grey areas. it should be either banned / not banned. Need a TUE you cant race until you are clean. test positive...no excuses 4 years , second offence never compete again. 3 missed tests in one year , 4 years no excuses Lizzie, you had 3 chances. It may be unfair on the odd person who inadvertently gets caught out and it's not their fault but tough, its your job be more careful. Its the price you now have to pay for cleaner sport as no one can be trusted
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hammerer wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
hammerer wrote:

What a farce

Twas ever thus...

Its time for a massive overhaul of the system as its not fit for purpose. Too many loopholes, too many grey areas. it should be either banned / not banned. Need a TUE you cant race until you are clean. test positive...no excuses 4 years , second offence never compete again. 3 missed tests in one year , 4 years no excuses Lizzie, you had 3 chances. It may be unfair on the odd person who inadvertently gets caught out and it's not their fault but tough, its your job be more careful. Its the price you now have to pay for cleaner sport as no one can be trusted

i've been saying it for years...more money for testing required, more tests, better legal back up...

Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess ultimately it's still a business, and making money is the priority. How many footballers have been caught....they have a huge fcuking rug.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I guess ultimately it's still a business, and making money is the priority. How many footballers have been caught....they have a huge fcuking rug.

indeed, but no one really takes them seriously...

Buzz_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
i've been saying it for years...more money for testing required, more tests, better legal back up...

Except the current scandals refer to tests that have been failed but no action taken. Granted their is certain to be a larger pool of cheats that never get caught, but at the moment they can't even decide if the ones they do catch are cheating or not. Your legal comment is probably the most relevant to this, the athletes have the money for a court battle the authorities don't.

We've discussed prohibiting competing with a TUE before. It bars people with chronic conditions from sport and it will mean some athletes will refuse medical help in order to compete. I don't have an answer, just think a no medication rule is unworkable.
JaRok2300

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a difference between skill based sports and those that are primarily fitness related. (Over simplification I know)

Footballers get pinged on a fairly regular basis but it tends to be recreational drugs or "the wife's diet pills" if they're carrying a bit of excess weight after the summer.

I don't think the use of PEDs is that widespread as running around the pitch like a headless chicken would only get you so far if you can't read the game or do anything with the ball when you get it.

I'm sure there are those using them, it would be na´ve not to think that, but not to the extent of athletics, cycling where the benefits are more directly measurable and impactful.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big conundrum is whether the UCI wants another multiple TdF winner sanctioned. They're dragging that one out. A smaller fish would have been hung out to dry already.
hammerer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

Except the current scandals refer to tests that have been failed but no action taken. Granted their is certain to be a larger pool of cheats that never get caught, but at the moment they can't even decide if the ones they do catch are cheating or not. Your legal comment is probably the most relevant to this, the athletes have the money for a court battle the authorities don't.

We've discussed prohibiting competing with a TUE before. It bars people with chronic conditions from sport and it will mean some athletes will refuse medical help in order to compete. I don't have an answer, just think a no medication rule is unworkable.

its not no medication though....if its life or death or a serious condition then you get the drugs you need but you cant compete whilst taking them. If you have a condition that requires proper medication (and i don't mean a puffer) then you certainly shouldn't be competing on a world level as surely that's a health risk.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz_ wrote:
explorerJC wrote:

It doesn't bar people with chronic medicals conditions from sport, it bars them from competing at a high level...

Yes, the legal point was made with that in mind...one athlete could bankrupt a sport governing body...I assume that the administrators are just hoping that it won't begin to unravel until they have taken their pensions...

explorerJC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaRok2300 wrote:
I think there is a difference between skill based sports and those that are primarily fitness related. (Over simplification I know)

Footballers get pinged on a fairly regular basis but it tends to be recreational drugs or "the wife's diet pills" if they're carrying a bit of excess weight after the summer.

I don't think the use of PEDs is that widespread as running around the pitch like a headless chicken would only get you so far if you can't read the game or do anything with the ball when you get it.

I'm sure there are those using them, it would be na´ve not to think that, but not to the extent of athletics, cycling where the benefits are more directly measurable and impactful.

the fitter you are, the more focus you can apply to the game...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: